SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

Torii is raking right now, Vargas is starting to pick it up.  Rosario has been impressive in his stint so far, I hope they can keep him up when Arcia comes off the DL.

Since starting 1-6, they are won 17 of their last 23. 

Im still concerned about the pitching and I am starting to get concerned about Meyer and his wild control down in Rodchester.  This might be crazy but when they need to replace Nolasco, I almost want Berrios instead of Meyer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Twins now sit 25-18 after beating the white soxs today. Who thought that would be the case so far.

I was hoping they would hang around .500 until Memorial Day, now I'm upgrading that to July 4th.

If they can keep getting people out dare I say they could be in the Wild Card hunt? That would be something nobody saw coming.

Twins are slowly making me a believer. 16 wins this month. The pitching has been the big difference so far. Last in ERA last year they are now in the middle of the pack. New pitching coach Allen has to take some credit. Hunter is a leader. And Molly has been a breath of fresh air. They make me want to get to Target Field for a game or 2. I will remain cautiously optimistic.

I'm not impressed with the Twins. They have beaten only 3 teams over .500 and are on a easy stretch of garbage teams (White Sox, Red Sox, Blue Jay's, Red Sox, and Brewers).

Last year they likely get swept in 3 of those 5 series and win one game in each of the other two. If you predicted they would be where they are at right now, you are a smarter man than everyone out there.

• Upvote 1

They're doing what they have to do, playing .500 on the road and winning at home, once they got past the first couple weeks they have looked decent, pitching has been the big surprise to me. 

I don't think there are that many great teams in the AL this year that they couldn't hang around the Wild Card race for a while, KC should win the division barring injuries but I don't see someone needing 90+ games to get into the playoff game.

That said, if they would lose 20 of the next 30 I wouldn't be shocked, as sioux rube said I am cautiously optimistic.

I think the real test will start in 2 weeks with Royals, Rangers, Cards, and Cubs.  If they can get through that stretch of 13 games 7-6 or better... then I am ready to jump all in on this team, until then... I am cautiously optimistic as well.

There is however a roster issue that is about to rear its ugly head when Arcia, Fien, etc. get off the DL. 

Not the Twins fault that the Red Sox, White Sox, Indians and Blue Jays are grossly underachieving this year. 

Well they have me excited so much so that I just got 4 tics for the June 19th game against the Cubs. No lose game for me since the Cubs are my second team.

I'll be there the 19th, and the 20th, as well.  Really looking forward to these games.  Some friends and I take in a series every year, and this year it's the Cubbies.  Expecting a lot of their fans to show up, so downtown should be lively -

• Upvote 1

Twins are slowly making me a believer. 16 wins this month. The pitching has been the big difference so far. Last in ERA last year they are now in the middle of the pack. New pitching coach Allen has to take some credit. Hunter is a leader. And Molly has been a breath of fresh air. They make me want to get to Target Field for a game or 2. I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Truthfully, they've been doing it with quite a bit of luck and a friendly schedule.  Their underlying pitching numbers are actually fairly close to last year.  The big difference is they are bunching hits together like no other and the stats show because of it that they have won around 7 more games than they should have.  Likely isn't sustainable but hopefully it will give them some confidence and they can keep it going.  Wouldn't be the first team have results that fly in the face of what the stats show for the length of a season.  Hopefully catching a game over the weekend, have much higher expectations then when I originally planned to go, which is a nice change from the last few years.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Hunter.  Same guy that "mentored" Morneau by punching him?  Or went after Pujols when he was in Anaheim?  Some of his personal views (which he openly defends, making them fair game) and reactions to the media when he is questioned on them doesn't scream leader to me.  That being said, his offense his been better than predicted while his defense has been as bad as predicted.  If they aren't going to bring Vargas back up, I'm hoping they can find someone who is at least adequate in the field and move Hunter to DH, keeps his bat in the line-up but also shores up the defense a little bit.

• Upvote 1

Last year, they would have the worst record in the league at this point instead of being above .500.  I think Molitor deserves some credit for this as well; the roster didn't change all that much from last season.

The outfield defense was the worse in the majors last year now it's in the middle of the pack. Hicks may not hit all that well but the guy can play center. Rosario also gets to balls that last year would be hits. The days of Willingham roaming the outfield are long gone.

The outfield defense was the worse in the majors last year now it's in the middle of the pack. Hicks may not hit all that well but the guy can play center. Rosario also gets to balls that last year would be hits. The days of Willingham roaming the outfield are long gone.

Torii Hunter isn't much better than Willingham at this this point in his career. They need to find a way to put him at DH.

Torii Hunter isn't much better than Willingham at this this point in his career. They need to find a way to put him at DH.

A blind man is better than Willingham. He's also better than Arcia in the outfield. Torii may have lost a step or 2 but he still takes good routes to the ball to help make up for the lost speed. His leadership is the big thing more than anything and his bat is still more than adequate.

A blind man is better than Willingham. He's also better than Arcia in the outfield. Torii may have lost a step or 2 but he still takes good routes to the ball to help make up for the lost speed. His leadership is the big thing more than anything and his bat is still more than adequate.

You aren't going to find much for statistics that back up your claims about Hunter's defense, it is just not good (neither of the other two were either, but there is little to no difference, if not worse depending on what method you use).  His only saving grace is that his offense has barely offset his defense to make him a replacement level player overall, which Arcia has been unable to do.  The difference is that Arcia is also only making $533K vs. $10.5 million for Hunter.  Torii playing in the field offsets anything he brings from the offensive side. 

This, Willingham was absolutely awful in the outfield he could barely move anything was an improvement. I don't really care what the advanced stats/metrics say about Hunter or the rest of the outfielders defense just watching from last year to this year it is definitely improved. It isn't a great defensive outfield by any means but definitely an improvement from last year to this year.

I'm not a big fan of how much they use Escobar though especially in the DH spot hopefully that changes when Arcia comes back but knowing how Terry Ryan often operates he will probably send Rosario back down instead of rotating Rosario, Arcia, and Hunter through the LF,RF, and DH spots the other option would be to call Vargas back up and just let him DH everyday then it would make at least a little more sense for Rosario to go back down. There will definitely be some tough roster decisions coming up for the Twins throughout the Summer with some of the prospects hopefully pushing for MLB time and could be a bit of a logjam at some positions. 

This, Willingham was absolutely awful in the outfield he could barely move anything was an improvement. I don't really care what the advanced stats/metrics say about Hunter or the rest of the outfielders defense just watching from last year to this year it is definitely improved. It isn't a great defensive outfield by any means but definitely an improvement from last year to this year.

I'm not a big fan of how much they use Escobar though especially in the DH spot hopefully that changes when Arcia comes back but knowing how Terry Ryan often operates he will probably send Rosario back down instead of rotating Rosario, Arcia, and Hunter through the LF,RF, and DH spots the other option would be to call Vargas back up and just let him DH everyday then it would make at least a little more sense for Rosario to go back down. There will definitely be some tough roster decisions coming up for the Twins throughout the Summer with some of the prospects hopefully pushing for MLB time and could be a bit of a logjam at some positions. 

I really hope they keep Eddie up, can't they just DFA Schafer and call it good.