SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX vs. CC - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

Love Mattson on the offensive side of the ice but he's still making a few d zone plays a game that make me cringe. Last night one in particular was passing a puck directly to a CC player. CC player proceeds to blow by him creating a 2 on 1. Ladue slides in at the last second to break it up with a great play.

This.  I think this is my problem with Mattson in the lineup when we are healthy.  He makes great plays keeping the play alive in the offensive zone, but I always seem to see some big blunder on the defensive side that really bugs me.

Oh boy....its 2015 DUDE!  There's been very LITTLE bitching about Hammer this (3rd) season since he's been the voice of UND Hockey - except from you!  Love Hammer or hate him - he is it. and YEAH we know where you stand:-(

FYI - Sweeney is currently reporting on ice cream socials and other fund raising fun for the University.  He is OUT of sports now and forever...no one cares about him anymore.  Give it up!   

I think Hammer is a great guy. Sat next to him in the press box on Friday, he's up with UND hockey and excited about what he does.

Ausmus is definitely in. Am I mis-counting?

Poolman stays at forward and the point on the pp. But would still like his shot from the point even strength. He has been a good addition to the first line, however.

I was just thinking it would be a decision between him and Mattson. Im not a great hockey mind, but I notice that sometimes he's a little slow. I could be way off on this

I was just thinking it would be a decision between him and Mattson. Im not a great hockey mind, but I notice that sometimes he's a little slow. I could be way off on this

It's not between him and Mattson.  Ausmus isn't in the lineup for his speed. He's in there because he provides something different than every other D-man we have. Him and Stecher had been our best d-pair all year before Stecher got hurt. When he gets back I think they'll go back to that pairing.

I think it's between Mattson and Thompson as odd man out. And that's not a knock on either. Someone has to sit. 

He is growing on me, after all he did give us the TCoS.  I wish he do more play by play and leave the color to ...   just leave the color out ???

I watched last night's game after I got home and it was the first time I have really just sat down and watched a whole broadcast in about two years. I have DirecTV so I don't get to seem them. Except with the volume down.

Nick Schmaltz need to be a bit more selfish when he has the puck. One play last night that stood out, Nick carried the puck into the zone then slams on the brakes to make a cross ice pass to the trailer that I think was broken up or hoped over the stick. I thought Nick should have used his speed to get around the CC defensemen or cut to the middle and use him as a screen with a man crashing the net.

It's not between him and Mattson. Ausmus isn't in the lineup for his speed. He's in there because he provides something different than every other D-man we have. Him and Stecher had been our best d-pair all year before Stecher got hurt. When he gets back I think they'll go back to that pairing.

I think it's between Mattson and Thompson as odd man out. And that's not a knock on either. Someone has to sit.

Agreed. I don't think there's any chance Ausmus sits.

It's not between him and Mattson.  Ausmus isn't in the lineup for his speed. He's in there because he provides something different than every other D-man we have. Him and Stecher had been our best d-pair all year before Stecher got hurt. When he gets back I think they'll go back to that pairing.

Spot on.  "20 Gage" plays every game provided he's healthy enough to pull on a sweater.  Our D needs that presence on the blue line.

I probably trust Ausmus on the D side as much as anyone on our team. He provides a great physical presence. Plus he's got a ripper. His slapshot in the 3rd last night was about as hard a post as I've seen all year. Hit right where the crossbar and post meet and nearly went in off the goalies back.

When #2 is healthy Panz will sit so the question is whether UNDs lineup is better w Olson at F and Poolman at D vs the lineup that played last night inserting #2 for Panz.

To me NS is the key to all of this. If he plays like he can he could center Bryn and Colton to form a scoring line moving Caggs to top line w Pooly at D. Gaarder stays as is and Pattyn LJ and Olson skate together.

Lots of options........

He is growing on me, after all he did give us the TCoS.  I wish he do more play by play and leave the color to ...   just leave the color out ???

It's just one of those things...once you've heard it and seen it, you can't un-do it.  Every time the Sioux line up for the stick salute, this is pretty much me:

200.gif

The TCoS...it never gets old. 

• Upvote 1

2smooth4

Stech

20gage

Ladue

mattson/Thompson/panz

Next year poolman back to D but this is working and it's not like he doesn't jump on the blue line on pp when needed. His presence at a forward outweighs him at D on this current team and roster. He's a mature player overall age included and it shows! Very effective player

Once Olson is back a couple guys will be looking over their shoulder. He and pogo are Malone/VV types in the making. Strong as hell on the puck and on the wall/corners. Besides chyz becoming a big time player pogo is quickly getting better each game.

After watching his slap shot almost lift the net off it's moorings, I think Gage needs to change his number to 10.

Good point.  Most pipe shots sound like "ting!".  That one sounded like "GANK".  Probably made a dent in the corner post.

Caggiula-MacMillian-Parks

Chyzyk-N.Schmaltz-L. Johnson

Pattyn-St.Clair-Olson

Poganski-Gaarder-O'Donnal

Looks good if Johnson can start scoring more. Some one else said it to but if a guy skates up the ice can he keep going and not wait to pass, they did that a few times yesterday and it allowed CC to get in the zone and defend.

Schmaltz-Ladue

Pooly-Mattson, Thompson

Ausmus-Stecher

This D looks good

When #2 is healthy Panz will sit so the question is whether UNDs lineup is better w Olson at F and Poolman at D vs the lineup that played last night inserting #2 for Panz.

To me NS is the key to all of this. If he plays like he can he could center Bryn and Colton to form a scoring line moving Caggs to top line w Pooly at D. Gaarder stays as is and Pattyn LJ and Olson skate together.

Lots of options........

I thought Panz played pretty well this weekend. He made a couple of nice defensive plays in the third period. 

Caggiula-MacMillian-Parks

Chyzyk-N.Schmaltz-L. Johnson

Pattyn-St.Clair-Olson

Poganski-Gaarder-O'Donnal

Looks good if Johnson can start scoring more. Some one else said it to but if a guy skates up the ice can he keep going and not wait to pass, they did that a few times yesterday and it allowed CC to get in the zone and defend.

Schmaltz-Ladue

Pooly-Mattson, Thompson

Ausmus-Stecher

This D looks good

I actually really love those forward lines. I think I sit Thompson on D and play Mattson with Pooly if they put him back on D. Not sure who they are gonna sit if Olson gets back and they want Pooly to stay up front.

All in all.... Talk about a fantastic problem to have lol :)