SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ North Dakota State

SWSiouxMN

Sounds like Jones was irritated by that last shot from Dupree. Seriously? That's what gets you fired up?

Dupree had to throw a shot up or the shotclock was going to expire.   I would think Jones would be happy the kid threw up a shot instead of prolonging the game agony by taking a shotclock violation.

You get what you pay for. I can't search on my phone for the actual numbers, but Jones is one of the lowest paid coaches in the Big Sky. So, should anyone be surprised by the products of his tenure?

So would he be a better coach if he was paid more? The assistants as well?
  • Upvote 1

Now is where the "NDSU's Super Bowl" posters come out of the woodwork, right?

If UND goes on to win the Big Sky and upset a Big XII team in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, this loss will be totally forgotten about.

I got about as much chance of playing for the Wild next week than your scenario for UND...and I can't skate!

I got about as much chance of playing for the Wild next week than your scenario for UND...and I can't skate!

Agreed. But wasn't the "company line" around here last March that UND had the better season than NDSU based on that early-season victory over the Bison? If that's truly how folks felt back then, this is a disaster of epic proportions for UND this season.

Wow, that game totally shocked me. I am very surprised by that outcome. Hats off to coach Richman on a great defensive game plan. They completely took UND out of the game. I will still maintain UND has the more talented roster, but that was some of the worst basketball I have seen. Jones needs to get this team gelling quickly for Big Sky play. Still early in the year, but that was really bad basketball. 

Also, did anyone notice how bad the floor was? There were guys slipping all over the place, and that is probably why Hooker tweaked his leg. C'mon NDSU and Scheels Arena, get your stuff together.....you are going to have a lot of hurt players by years end on a floor like that. 

Hooker tweaked his knee because one of the clumsy big men on his own team ran into him, it had nothing to do with the floor. 

Jones hasn't really improved much in the years he's been here. People say he's solid at recruiting, fine, keep him on in a recruiting capacity but hire someone that can actually coach a team up. 

If he was a good recruiter, he wouldn't be playing with 7 D-1 transfers. There is generally a reason players leave other D-1 programs. Either they aren't very good (Tyler for example) or they have baggage (DeRouren for example). You shouldn't be building a program around them.  

I wonder how tall Shanks actually is. They list Cashman at 6-10 (I thought his introduction said 6-11). He was standing next to Kading of NDSU nad they were exactly the same height, and they list him at 6-7. He probably has 50 pounds on Cashman, but they are the same height. Your big men need to put on some weight and muscle. They are extremely soft inside. I thought Trayvonn Wright was skinny for NDSU, but he look obese compared to Shields for UND.

Wow, that game totally shocked me. I am very surprised by that outcome. Hats off to coach Richman on a great defensive game plan. They completely took UND out of the game. I will still maintain UND has the more talented roster, but that was some of the worst basketball I have seen. Jones needs to get this team gelling quickly for Big Sky play. Still early in the year, but that was really bad basketball. 

Also, did anyone notice how bad the floor was? There were guys slipping all over the place, and that is probably why Hooker tweaked his leg. C'mon NDSU and Scheels Arena, get your stuff together.....you are going to have a lot of hurt players by years end on a floor like that. 

I was at the game until about the 8 minute mark. A few things stuck out to me early. UND looked ready to play on defense.......for 1 possession anyway. After the 3rd or 4th attempt at the ball screen and NDSU doubled the ball and completely turned the screener loose since it was Calcaterra I was expecting UND to either spread the floor and leave the lane open on offense and let our guards take their guys off the dribble or, oh I don't know, maybe use someone who is an offensive threat to score set the initial pick and either pop back for open jumper or finish at the rim(Nash or Tyler)....Also if they are going to guard Nash with Kory Brown why are we giving the ball to Nash 20 feet from the basket instead of posting him up?....these are adjustments that should have been made at the first media timeout....we did open the lane for a few possessions in the second half when the game was pretty much out of hand and I believe we drew fouls on 4 or 5 straight possessions since much like last year they were unable to guard us going to the hole but we eventually strayed back away from that.(start the game that way or even play the last 16 minutes of the first half that way and at the very least NDSU would have had to play more the 6 guys as they would have likely had 5 or 6 guys with 2 or 3 fouls each by halftime.

I could go on but it was just a disgusting effort from the start.

Happy my boys won. 

I've said it before, and i'll say it again....I dont think either of these teams will smell the Madness this year.  I'm not a basketball genius at all.  Can't tell you much of anything about the game....but NDSU dominated from the start.  Years like this are good for rivalry games or whatever.  UND would have been better off not showing up because they embarassed themselves.  It was bad to the point the fans of both teams in the bar area were mocking the team by cheering loudly following a UND bucket(after a long drought)  in the second half. 

#SuperBowlDarell ;)

With that said. The women could beat the men's team. No joke...

Lets not get rediculous.  Last night for some reason they could not shoot, could not guard and could not drive.  Antwi is the only outside threat and yet he only plays 20 minutes or less a game.  He needs more minutes as no guard on this team is any better than the other and yet some play 35+ minutes and Antwi plays less than 20.  Makes no sense.

So would he be a better coach if he was paid more? The assistants as well?

No, but if you offer a higher salary, you can attract more applicants and a better pool should yield a better coach. Head and assistant. I don't think anyone believes UND can poach a coach from another D 1 team.

No, but if you offer a higher salary, you can attract more applicants and a better pool should yield a better coach. Head and assistant. I don't think anyone believes UND can poach a coach from another D 1 team.

Anyone who doesn't realize there are some experienced DII coaches who are far better coaches than Jones are fooling themselves; those are targets for UND. If UND would like to raise their HC salary to 150K to mirror NDSU and the Mussman to Bubba change, then some DI assistants could go on the radar.

UND needs to consider this direction along with facility improvements, both of which fall on the AD.

Anyone who doesn't realize there are some experienced DII coaches who are far better coaches than Jones are fooling themselves; those are targets for UND. If UND would like to raise their HC salary to 150K to mirror NDSU and the Mussman to Bubba change, then some DI assistants could go on the radar.

UND needs to consider this direction along with facility improvements, both of which fall on the AD.

I think Richman is making around 200k. A D2 coach worth watching is Walthall at MSU-Moorhead. He may have a better team this year than any college team in ND regardless of division. I wish NDSU had given him a look when Saul left. He has D1 experience in the Big Ten and seems to be a great recruiter and player developer. 

The fact that #40 in yellow is a D1 BB player is mind boggling. Back in the day I don't think he sees the floor at VCSU or Jamestown.

12-4

That #40 D3 basketball player just got 8 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocked shots against a good Akron team with a starting frontline of 6-11 and 6-9 and a 6-10 off the bench. NDSU was without their starting guard Miller and beat the #12 mid-major in the country. Alexander, Brown and Dupree played all 40 minutes and Kading and Werner each played about 37 minutes. There is something to be said about playing hard and together. 

Maybe UND could benefit by having a couple of #40's on their team. 

That #40 D3 basketball player just got 8 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocked shots against a good Akron team with a starting frontline of 6-11 and 6-9 and a 6-10 off the bench. NDSU was without their starting guard Miller and beat the #12 mid-major in the country. Alexander, Brown and Dupree played all 40 minutes and Kading and Werner each played about 37 minutes. There is something to be said about playing hard and together. 

We will stay tuned and see how it plays out, Chief.  

Will be interesting to see what happens when teams have some scouting on him. He has a motor though.

They need to do something about that floor, it is absolutely terrible. I thought maybe it was just Saturday but I watched a few minutes tonight and saw guys slipping all over the place.