SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Ranked #1 in uscho.com poll

GoalieMask

Like i said, I was basing my opinion on what I had read from some other posters; I thought I made that clear.

You must have a low standard for humor if you find that "quite hilarious".

Slow day on your end?

I've been to the ralph a number of times, as I'm sure most of you have. The atmosphere is what it is. 11,750 is a lot of people and I'm sure most people are tuned into the game. But there's way too many in attendance that I'm not sure why they even go. Glued to their phones, up in the bar, or sitting having ladies aid with their girlfriend.

I'll put it this way. Traveling sioux fans bring much more atmosphere to most und games away from the ralph.

• Upvote 1

Like i said, I was basing my opinion on what I had read from some other posters; I thought I made that clear.

You must have a low standard for humor if you find that "quite hilarious".

Slow day on your end?

You stated that after someone questioned whether you have been to a game.  So it went 'Yeah the atmosphere is corporate.... but yes, I've never stepped foot in the new Ralph... and I base my statement on message board fodder.'  With all due respect, that opinion isn't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on.

And based on the volume of your 'Fire Hak merry go-round' posts you've had today, it actually seems to be slower on yours.

I've been to the ralph a number of times, as I'm sure most of you have. The atmosphere is what it is. 11,750 is a lot of people and I'm sure most people are tuned into the game. But there's way too many in attendance that I'm not sure why they even go. Glued to their phones, up in the bar, or sitting having ladies aid with their girlfriend.

I'll put it this way. Traveling sioux fans bring much more atmosphere to most und games away from the ralph.

Amen!

And yet opposing players almost unanimously identify The Ralph as the most intimidating place to play.

• Upvote 2

Let's compare 2 schools over the past 10 years:

In the past 10 years, School A has 1 leaugue tournament Championsip, 4 playoff appearances, 1 Frozen Four, and 1 National Championship.

In the past 10 years, School B has 2 league championships, 4 tournament championships, 10 playoff appearences, 6 Frozen Four's, and 1 runner up.

So I guess you can debate which school has had more success in those 10 years, and if the one Natty trumps all.  But, IMO, Shool B has had more sustained success over those years.  And that is a bigger feat than 1 season flash in the pan.

Who was team "A"? Is that Duluth? 

My guess is wisconsin.

Late reply, but school A was Michigan State.  But Duluth and Sconi probably have similar results. 

So all 6,063 people were holding their breath in anticipation of each movement of the puck at old REA.  Give me a break. 

While I can't say this is exactly true, the very first Sioux game I went to was also the first time I ever heard six thousand people gasp at once.

Everyone sucked in their breath when Glenn White reared up on a slapshot, with time and space, from the top of the slot. 

And I'm certain the opposing netminder had a moment of "Oh...$#!t". 

For the day, with wooden sticks...that guy had a ripper of a slapshot.

And yet opposing players almost unanimously identify The Ralph as the most intimidating place to play.

And a coach recently stated that "if you can play a game at The Ralph you can play in a national championship". Yup, the atmosphere must really suck.

I'd challenge anyone to think of a more intimidating place to play. Only one that holds a candle to it is the Kohl Center, but that's when the team doesn't suck.

So all 6,063 people were holding their breath in anticipation of each movement of the puck at old REA. Give me a break.

Well there were no smart phones, no hang out bars, and the way I remember it, the old engelstad wasn't considered a social event the way the Ralph is now. I think a much higher percentage went to the old engelstad to watch a hockey game.

And a coach recently stated that "if you can play a game at The Ralph you can play in a national championship". Yup, the atmosphere must really suck.

I'd challenge anyone to think of a more intimidating place to play. Only one that holds a candle to it is the Kohl Center, but that's when the team doesn't suck.

I can't say as a current or former athlete because I'm neither. But if you are talking about fan noise and involvement to intimidate players Id say lynah rink in Ithaca tops the Ralph.

I take that coaches statement to also include the level of competition he is/was playing against

I can't say as a current or former athlete because I'm neither. But if you are talking about fan noise and involvement to intimidate players Id say lynah rink in Ithaca tops the Ralph.

I take that coaches statement to also include the level of competition he is/was playing against

I get the fascination with old rinks, I really do.  But you're telling me when Cornell gears up to play Yale(No idea who their best rival is) in front of 4,500 fans, it's better than Sioux Gophers with 12,000 people? Sorry but I'm callin BS.

I get the fascination with old rinks, I really do. But you're telling me when Cornell gears up to play Yale(No idea who their best rival is) in front of 4,500 fans, it's better than Sioux Gophers with 12,000 people? Sorry but I'm callin BS.

I couldn't say for sure on that comparison. Never been to a Yale/Cornell game. I've been to a Dartmouth Cornell game and the atmosphere trumped that of any sioux/st cloud game Ive been to at the Ralph. And the sioux/Cornell games in Ithaca also trumped the atmosphere of the games played at the Ralph. Just my opinion though!

You stated that after someone questioned whether you have been to a game.  So it went 'Yeah the atmosphere is corporate.... but yes, I've never stepped foot in the new Ralph... and I base my statement on message board fodder.'  With all due respect, that opinion isn't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on.

And based on the volume of your 'Fire Hak merry go-round' posts you've had today, it actually seems to be slower on yours.

What?! LOL, yes I based my opinion on what others wrote; sometimes one has to do that if they don't have the privilege of making it back.

Do I actually have to be in the physical place to have an opinion of something? I know going off others isn't as authentic as those who've actually been there, but it's all I have at my disposal.

So I don't care for Hakstol's post season record & make note of it, big deal. I asked awhile back how long a coach of a storied program should get to bring home a NC & I heard crickets in return. So you tell me, wise one, how long should his leash be? 10, 20 years? No leash?

It seems pretty petty that you'd get your panties in a bunch over some stranger's (mine) comment about the atmosphere at the Ralph. Big deal what I think how fans act there, it's just a generic comment & I wasn't targeting any one person. Or are you more upset that I mentioned Hakstol's lack of success in the post season? Seems to be a Cult of Personality following with him. One can comment on the players, but people act like they've been off their medication a few days once you bring Hakstol into the conversation.

But I will give you credit for the whale & dolphins comment..

• Upvote 1

What?! LOL, yes I based my opinion on what others wrote; sometimes one has to do that if they don't have the privilege of making it back.

Do I actually have to be in the physical place to have an opinion of something? I know going off others isn't as authentic as those who've actually been there, but it's all I have at my disposal.

So I don't care for Hakstol's post season record & make note of it, big deal. I asked awhile back how long a coach of a storied program should get to bring home a NC & I heard crickets in return. So you tell me, wise one, how long should his leash be? 10, 20 years? No leash?

It seems pretty petty that you'd get your panties in a bunch over some stranger's (mine) comment about the atmosphere at the Ralph. Big deal what I think how fans act there, it's just a generic comment & I wasn't targeting any one person. Or are you more upset that I mentioned Hakstol's lack of success in the post season? Seems to be a Cult of Personality following with him. One can comment on the players, but people act like they've been off their medication a few days once you bring Hakstol into the conversation.

But I will give you credit for the whale & dolphins comment..

Panties not in a bunch haha but I just mentioned it was funny you have never been to the arena and are trusting "some stranger's" take on it that really are just pissed we haven't won a national championship and are grasping to any variable they can find to place blame to. Make no mistake about it, the Ralph is as good as it gets for college hockey.

As to your second paragraph of assumptions on what my stance on Hak is, I'm not biting. I love and breathe this hockey team and am very excited about this year. I dont need to go to petco for leashes, choke chains or whatever you speak of. Plenty of months in the offseason to revisit the coaching topic, not when we rattle of 10 wins pre-December.

Well there were no smart phones, no hang out bars, and the way I remember it, the old engelstad wasn't considered a social event the way the Ralph is now. I think a much higher percentage went to the old engelstad to watch a hockey game.

No booze = no social event.

12,000 people for the size of gf area is pretty ridiculous. It's means lot more people probably know someone who going to a game and this are probably more likely to say heck I'm not doing anything tonight. Maybe I'll go too that sounds fun (if they can afford it ;)).

Panties not in a bunch haha but I just mentioned it was funny you have never been to the arena and are trusting "some stranger's" take on it that really are just pissed we haven't won a national championship and are grasping to any variable they can find to place blame to. Make no mistake about it, the Ralph is as good as it gets for college hockey.

As to your second paragraph of assumptions on what my stance on Hak is, I'm not biting. I love and breathe this hockey team and am very excited about this year. I dont need to go to petco for leashes, choke chains or whatever you speak of. Plenty of months in the offseason to revisit the coaching topic, not when we rattle of 10 wins pre-December.

I agree that this year's team could make a splash, am stoked as well. They seem to have the right mix of everything right now, except consistency, but that'll come in time.

I wasn't trying to draw you or anyone into an argument over Hakstol's long-term viability. I love the team as well & am the epitome of a homer, but any serious fan should look to all possibilities as to why his storied team isn't bringing home the hardware over such a long period.