SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Ranked #1 in uscho.com poll

GoalieMask

...Here is my advice.  Free and easy to implement.  If you don't like the way a program is running things, and the program won't change because a large majority thinks things are being run just fine, find another program to support...

Your thought process reminds me of a recent president's rhetoric, "If you're not for us, you're against us." Meaning any dissension from the norm won't be tolerated.

How's this, SJHovey? I respect your opinion & you tolerate mine. This board is largely opinions & the greater the diversity of ideas that are allowed to flourish, the better. Or, we could all conform to your views so everyone thinks & expresses themselves just like you. Just let me know if it's the latter so I can start reviewing some of your older posts & molding my thoughts to conform to what you & the norm think.. :) 

• Upvote 1

To want results doesn't mean that you hate the head coach, that's ridiculous & a non-sequitur.

Sometimes complacency or apathy can spell disaster, regardless if it's in one's personal life or in a hockey program.

I drink non-fluoridated water to retain the passion & avoid such a mental state.  :) 

Your thought process reminds me of a recent president's rhetoric, "If you're not for us, you're against us." Meaning any dissension from the norm won't be tolerated.

How's this, SJHovey? I respect your opinion & you tolerate mine. This board is largely opinions & the greater the diversity of ideas that are allowed to flourish, the better. Or, we could all conform to your views so everyone thinks & expresses themselves just like you. Just let me know if it's the latter so I can start reviewing some of your older posts & molding my thoughts to conform to what you & the norm think.. :) 

One norm that I really wish you'd conform to is to quit bolding everything you type.

Wasn't the point of my post.

My point is, no one is forced to follow or be a fan of the UND hockey program.  It's a voluntary activity.

As it is, we have it pretty good.  I personally can't think of another program that I'd rather be a fan of than this one.  I don't go to bed at night wishing, gee I wish our program was as successful as "X program."  There is no other program whose success or history I would rather have.

So if that's the case, what in the heck are we complaining about?

Here is another thing to consider for those who are so frustrated with no national championship in recent years.

My dad first took me to UND hockey games sometime back in the 60's, back when they played in the old barn and there was no amount of hot chocolate that would keep you warm.  I know what it was like when there was a generation that couldn't recall ever seeing UND win a national title until Gino helped us do it in 1980.  There is nothing sweeter.  The 1980 title, followed up by the 1982 title.  Nothing better.  The wait made it all that more enjoyable.

It was great winning in 2000.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  But I will tell you from personal experience it didn't feel the same.  Not having just won in 1997 and with the great 1998 and 1999 teams.

There is a line from a Bruce Springsteen song that I've always liked, and that I've always viewed as a bit of a cautionary warning against envy controlling your life.  The line is, "Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, the king ain't satisfied 'til he rules everything."  I sometimes feel sports fans, us included, fall into that trap.

Wasn't the point of my post.

My point is, no one is forced to follow or be a fan of the UND hockey program.  It's a voluntary activity.

As it is, we have it pretty good.  I personally can't think of another program that I'd rather be a fan of than this one.  I don't go to bed at night wishing, gee I wish our program was as successful as "X program."  There is no other program whose success or history I would rather have.

So if that's the case, what in the heck are we complaining about?

Here is another thing to consider for those who are so frustrated with no national championship in recent years.

My dad first took me to UND hockey games sometime back in the 60's, back when they played in the old barn and there was no amount of hot chocolate that would keep you warm.  I know what it was like when there was a generation that couldn't recall ever seeing UND win a national title until Gino helped us do it in 1980.  There is nothing sweeter.  The 1980 title, followed up by the 1982 title.  Nothing better.  The wait made it all that more enjoyable.

It was great winning in 2000.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  But I will tell you from personal experience it didn't feel the same.  Not having just won in 1997 and with the great 1998 and 1999 teams.

There is a line from a Bruce Springsteen song that I've always liked, and that I've always viewed as a bit of a cautionary warning against envy controlling your life.  The line is, "Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, the king ain't satisfied 'til he rules everything."  I sometimes feel sports fans, us included, fall into that trap.

I hear what you're saying, but you did say that those who don't agree with how things are being run can find another program if they don't agree with the status quo. Regardless of the niche, from sports to politics, & where it lies in the spectrum, dissension should be welcomed; & politics, like sports, is also a voluntary pursuit. And the minority should never be expected to find another team if they are unsatisfied with how things are being handled; that would make the remaining fans automatons.

I don't consider myself envious, but I do like to keep the torch lit for a storied hockey program. Mostly because I want it to continue being great. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I see complacency in some of the posts. Sports is about as unpredictable a pastime as you can get, but a repeated pattern over many years usually means it's something besides bad luck or more competitive teams out there. Not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion at this moment..

I just missed the Barn days, but was around when the Winter Sports Complex first opened for hockey..

And I try not to base my happiness on something like hockey, but I will be joining Oxbow6 & a few other diehards in a ceremonial mass suicide if # 7 doesn't turn into # 8 this year..Maybe..

• Upvote 1

Great programs shouldn't be compared to lesser programs, just like apples aren't compared to oranges & the Crimson Tide isn't compared to eastern Carolina..

I wasn't comparing UND to CC or anyone else for that matter. Simply highlighting the enviable position UND fans are in right now even having this debate.

Believe it or not, there are fans of "lesser" programs who have expectations of winning nattys just as much as UND fans. Losing in the FF back in '05 to DU hurt just as much as the UND defeats in their respective FF's.

I wasn't comparing UND to CC or anyone else for that matter. Simply highlighting the enviable position UND fans are in right now even having this debate.

Believe it or not, there are fans of "lesser" programs who have expectations of winning nattys just as much as UND fans. Losing in the FF back in '05 to DU hurt just as much as the UND defeats in their respective FF's.

Yes, UND is an enviable hockey program. It's also greatly respected & the epitome of what a college hockey program should be. But the program didn't become great without great fans who wanted a winner. My first experience with Sioux hockey was as a little boy in 1972. Behind me was a sober middle-aged woman & her friends who were literally yelling at the Sioux for their poor on-ice performance. Fast-forward a generation & that passion has largely been replaced by a corporate mindset & many fans who go to the Ralph because it's the "in" thing to do in the Forks. I wouldn't call that kind of fanbase good for a program & it can be terminal if it goes unchecked. Of course I'm not saying all fans are like this, but a good segment are..Just trying to keep the tradition going, is all..

Sounds good to me, could care less which puppet is at the helm..

Hey Mafia Man, is it "could care less" or "couldn't care less"?

om.gif

COULDN'T CARE LESS!  The expression is COULDN'T CARE LESS!

if you COULD CARE less, it means that you actually care, even if it's only a little. 

:crazy:   :crazy:   :crazy:  

Yes, UND is an enviable hockey program. It's also greatly respected & the epitome of what a college hockey program should be. But the program didn't become great without great fans who wanted a winner. My first experience to Sioux hockey was as a little boy in 1972. Behind me was a sober middle-aged woman & her friends who were literally yelling at the Sioux for their poor on-ice performance. Fast-forward a generation & that passion has largely been replaced by a corporate mindset & many fans who go to the Ralph because it's the "in" thing to do in the Forks. I wouldn't call that kind of fanbase good for a program & it can be terminal if it goes unchecked. Of course I'm not saying all fans are like this, but a good segment are..Just trying to keep the tradition going, is all..

Attending games at the Ralph may be the "in thing" for some, but it is too expensive for that to be the case for all. I'd estimate that segment at 10% tops. Those types of fans were there when the new rink opened, but have dwindled away with time. In the section I sit, we see many people that also had seats in the old REA. Nearly doubling the capacity has certainly allowed for different segments of fans to be able to attend games. And I don't get the corporate reference. The seats are pretty full for the most part. You don't see that at in a sometimes sparsely attended Mariucci, where the same "corporate" argument is often conveyed.

Do you make it back to Grand Forks for many games?