SiouxSports.com Forum

Extremely Hypothetical: 7-5 = playoffs?

geaux_sioux

To me it's how the ball was when he caught it. It wasn't a spiral so the ball wasn't caught with his hands in the right position to get it down correctly so he had to rush it. Yes, it was a combination of things, but that's just what I saw. 

This is a quote from Bubba in Tom Miller's story about the game: 

“We had a little trouble with the snap,” UND coach Bubba Schweigert said. “We’ve got to give Reid a chance to kick that. We have to execute better.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-last-second-field-goal-lifts-montana-over-und 

Disagree with you on this one. The Montana linebacker made a solid play staying home to shut off the bootleg. He had the angle on Molberg and simply made a textbook tackle. Molberg's a solid runner -- I liked the shoulder he put into a safety later in the game -- but he's not going to dance like a scatback out there.

From my vantage point it looked like he would have made it if he kept on at his original angle and hadn't cut back inside, but that is certainly not definitive.  Not suggesting he dance like a scatback or that the loss was his fault, just pointing out the series of events that led to our disappointing defeat.  

From my vantage point it looked like he would have made it if he kept on at his original angle and hadn't cut back inside, but that is certainly not definitive.  Not suggesting he dance like a scatback or that the loss was his fault, just pointing out the series of events that led to our disappointing defeat.  

Fair 'nuff.

Disagree with you on this one. The Montana linebacker made a solid play staying home to shut off the bootleg. He had the angle on Molberg and simply made a textbook tackle. Molberg's a solid runner -- I liked the shoulder he put into a safety later in the game -- but he's not going to dance like a scatback out there.

Fault on that play goes to the OL that let that LB slip past him. He was supposed to be blocked and should have been pancaked, he wasn't, they got the w after making the plays at the end and we did not.

Some of you cheerleaders need to decide which side of the argument you're on; either you're all about record and accountability -- and you've speculated endlessly about the ultimate win-loss record for this team while throwing any number of former players under the bus as "quitters" for not riding out a coaching transition -- or you're about setting a tone, building a culture and appreciating the "moral victories" along the way, record be damned. If it's the former, as many months' of postings would suggest, then maybe a coach who leaves a veteran player on the sideline and puts a crucial field goal attempt on the shoulders of a true freshman should be open to a little scrutiny, too.

Or does the decision for you simply depend on which coach we're criticizing?

Considering Meindel has never attempted a field goal or extra point in a college game, as well as being a "true" sophomore, I would hardly call him a "veteran" player. 

This is a quote from Bubba in Tom Miller's story about the game: 

“We had a little trouble with the snap,” UND coach Bubba Schweigert said. “We’ve got to give Reid a chance to kick that. We have to execute better.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-last-second-field-goal-lifts-montana-over-und 

My guess is he said snap when he was actually meaning the whole process of snap through the hold.  Because the bottom line is that the kicker never had a chance with the ball on it's side when he tried to kick it. 

I have always felt the holder should be one of the better athletes on the team.  I think it gives you more options if you need a fake or things go bad. 

I agree. Frankly, I have always been perplexed as to why so many college and pro teams use punters as the holder.

I agree. Frankly, I have always been perplexed as to why so many college and pro teams use punters as the holder.

I know when the Bison were using the punter as a holder, Bohl said it was so it wouldn't take practice reps away from the holder's regular position when they were working on the kicking game.  I don't know if I agree with that, but that was the rationale.

I agree with the practice time issue but I still like the idea of taking a good athlete (WR,DB, RB) that is further down the depth chart and having them in that role.  It still takes away from practice but it just seems like you could do so much more with an athlete in that role.

I'm very hesitant to make playoff projections for a two win team, particularly when those two wins are against teams with only a total of two wins between them.

But, in the event 7 wins does happen...as great as that would be for the program and even with the expanded field I think 5 losses puts them out.

I'm very hesitant to make playoff projections for a two win team, particularly when those two wins are against teams with only a total of two wins between them.

But, in the event 7 wins does happen...as great as that would be for the program and even with the expanded field I think 5 losses puts them out.

The only chance would maybe be with a win over EWU ranked #2

If we run the table from here on, which is possible and which would include a win over EWU, then we finish 8-4 overall and 6-2 in the BSC. MSU, UM, and EWU will have to go head to head resulting in some loses. Through in a few upsets and a place at the top of the BSC for UND is possible, most likely as a shared championship. From there who knows, maybe the playoff selection committee will place a lot of weight on winning in the later part of the season. Is all of this likely..no. But it is possible.

If we run the table from here on, which is possible and which would include a win over EWU, then we finish 8-4 overall and 6-2 in the BSC. MSU, UM, and EWU will have to go head to head resulting in some loses. Through in a few upsets and a place at the top of the BSC for UND is possible, most likely as a shared championship. From there who knows, maybe the playoff selection committee will place a lot of weight on winning in the later part of the season. Is all of this likely..no. But it is possible.

Sounds good to me. Lets go get #3 and then go from there.
  • Upvote 2

7-5 with no quality wins does not equal a playoff birth. NDSU did happen to make the playoffs in 2010 with 7 wins but they had a win over an FBS team and multiple wins over ranked FCS teams.

UND has to beat EWU and run the table to even have a sniff at the playoffs. Even then I doubt it considering the big sky will at most get 3 teams in and based on current rankings, it will be dam near impossible for UND to jump EWU, Montana State or Montana.

7-5 with no quality wins does not equal a playoff birth. NDSU did happen to make the playoffs in 2010 with 7 wins but they had a win over an FBS team and multiple wins over ranked FCS teams.

UND has to beat EWU and run the table to even have a sniff at the playoffs. Even then I doubt it considering the big sky will at most get 3 teams in and based on current rankings, it will be dam near impossible for UND to jump EWU, Montana State or Montana.

If UND runs the table (and in the process beats EWU) finishing the season at 8-4 on a 6 game winning streak, I have a hard to seeing them being excluded, especially with the expanded field.  I don't think that it happens but we're talking hypotheticals.  I think UND probably loses 2 more games this year and finish at 6-6, especially as the lack of depth is going to start to show through as the injuries mount. 

If they lose one more game, I don't think there is any chance of making it in even if one of those wins is EWU.