SiouxSports.com Forum

Extremely Hypothetical: 7-5 = playoffs?

geaux_sioux

8-4 is the only way UND makes the playoffs this season unfortunately. Realistically, i see them finishing 6-6. And yes, the MVFC is the best in the FCS by far this year. the big sky can NOT play defense. which makes me very, very excited for next season with most of this defense returning. UND can play a MVFC style of play in the Big Sky and EWU, UM, MSU won't know what hit them. 

UND's 2015 schedule

@ Wyoming

vs Drake

@ NDSU

vs UC Davis

@ PSU

vs ISU

@ WSU

@ Montana

vs MSU

vs UNC

@ Cal Poly

Looking at the way this team is improving I see maybe 4 losses at the most on the schedule.  Wyoming, NDSU, Montana, Cal Poly  (but even that could change depending on the offense and how we do in that Wyoming game).

UND's 2015 schedule

@ Wyoming

vs Drake

@ NDSU

vs UC Davis

@ PSU

vs ISU

@ WSU

@ Montana

vs MSU

vs UNC

@ Cal Poly

Looking at the way this team is improving I see maybe 4 losses at the most on the schedule.  Wyoming, NDSU, Montana, Cal Poly  (but even that could change depending on the offense and how we do in that Wyoming game).

Yes, i see at minimum 7 wins on that.. IMO UND will make the playoffs next season. 

UNI was 7-5 last year, they beat a Big 12 team and crushed a seeded playoff team. Hard to have a stronger resume then that, instead the committee went with powder puff South Carolina State who beat nobody of significance. 

They were 3-5 in the MVFC, that I am sure was part of them not being in the playoffs finishing 8th in the standings, even behind South Dakota.

• Upvote 1

UND's 2015 schedule

@ Wyoming

vs Drake

@ NDSU

vs UC Davis

@ PSU

vs ISU

@ WSU

@ Montana

vs MSU

vs UNC

@ Cal Poly

Looking at the way this team is improving I see maybe 4 losses at the most on the schedule. Wyoming, NDSU, Montana, Cal Poly (but even that could change depending on the offense and how we do in that Wyoming game).

So you project UND looses to every good team on their schedule and wins 8 games against bottom feeder Big Sky teams?

UND's 2015 schedule

@ Wyoming

vs Drake

@ NDSU

vs UC Davis

@ PSU

vs ISU

@ WSU

@ Montana

vs MSU

vs UNC

@ Cal Poly

You need to add Montana State to your list.  I don't know what they're returning, but they're good every year.  And UND barely beat PSU at home this year.  Yes, we expect UND to be better next year, but you can't rule out a loss @PSU.   The bottom line is that even though EWU is off, it's still a very tough schedule and UND will have to improve quite a bit to make the playoffs next year.

You need to add Montana State to your list. I don't know what they're returning, but they're good every year. And UND barely beat PSU at home this year. Yes, we expect UND to be better next year, but you can't rule out a loss @PSU. The bottom line is that even though EWU is off, it's still a very tough schedule and UND will have to improve quite a bit to make the playoffs next year.

I expect playoffs next season, but I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions and skip out on the remainder of this season.

UND has a solid chance of going 7-5; that wouldn't mean playoffs in 2014, but likely playoffs in 2015. Montana State at home and Portland State on the road are unbeatable? Did you watch this year's games vs the Montana schools? UND is not in a position anymore to just write-off a

chance of winning against certain conference teams; Bubba essentially already has UND in a position to play with every BSC team.

I expect playoffs next season, but I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions and skip out on the remainder of this season.

UND has a solid chance of going 7-5; that wouldn't mean playoffs in 2014, but likely playoffs in 2015. Montana State at home and Portland State on the road are unbeatable? Did you watch this year's games vs the Montana schools? UND is not in a position anymore to just write-off a

chance of winning against certain conference teams; Bubba essentially already has UND in a position to play with every BSC team.

Mksioux didn't say they were unbeatable.  Darrel said he saw at most 4 losses on the 2015 schedule, but didn't count MT St as a potential L.

I didn't say Montana State and Portland State are not winnable games.  UND could certainly beat Montana State and Portland State next year, but they could also lose them.  They are not certain wins, as Daryl was suggesting in his post.  

By the way, I'm also hoping for playoffs next year despite the really hard schedule.

So how many ranked FCS teams has UND beat again?

If memory serves me right. I believe we beat Souther Utah on the road when they were ranked. As well as Cal Davis. Not bragging just simply giving facts. I really don't need you to respond to this either.

You need to add Montana State to your list.  I don't know what they're returning, but they're good every year.  And UND barely beat PSU at home this year.  Yes, we expect UND to be better next year, but you can't rule out a loss @PSU.   The bottom line is that even though EWU is off, it's still a very tough schedule and UND will have to improve quite a bit to make the playoffs next year.

UND almost pulled it out with a Muss led team in 2013 at PSU, we will be a lot better than that in 2015, and I think MSU is beatable at home with an improved UND team especially improved offense. Remember next year Bubba's players start to filter in and Muss's players start to filter out. 

If memory serves me right. I believe we beat Souther Utah on the road when they were ranked. As well as Cal Davis. Not bragging just simply giving facts. I really don't need you to respond to this either.

UND has beaten 3 ranked FCS teams, 2009 vs Cal Poly (16/18), 2011 vs South Dakota (24), and 2011 at Southern Utah (17/19)

UND has beaten 3 ranked FCS teams, 2009 vs Cal Poly (16/18), 2011 vs South Dakota (24), and 2011 at Southern Utah (17/19)

Wasn't UNI ranked # 3 when we beat them in their house back when Dressler was playing?  That one should count also.

• Upvote 3

UND almost pulled it out with a Muss led team in 2013 at PSU, we will be a lot better than that in 2015, and I think MSU is beatable at home with an improved UND team especially improved offense. Remember next year Bubba's players start to filter in and Muss's players start to filter out. 

Considering the defense is pretty much all Mussman recruits outside of Hinojosa and Tillman (and a few true freshman sprinkled in), not sure what your point on the last part is other than continuing to have to bring up Mussman?  He was a very good OC in his time year, not so much as a head coach but probably time to move on.