SiouxSports.com Forum

Extremely Hypothetical: 7-5 = playoffs?

geaux_sioux

7-5 with no quality wins does not equal a playoff birth. 

"Does not" is strong; "is not very likely without a lot of help" is on point. 

I think 7-5 could make it if some of the other leagues beat up on each other to similar records in conference play.

7-5 with no quality wins does not equal a playoff birth. NDSU did happen to make the playoffs in 2010 with 7 wins but they had a win over an FBS team and multiple wins over ranked FCS teams.

UND has to beat EWU and run the table to even have a sniff at the playoffs. Even then I doubt it considering the big sky will at most get 3 teams in and based on current rankings, it will be dam near impossible for UND to jump EWU, Montana State or Montana.At 

At 8-4 with a win over EWU and 6 game winning streak, UND would get more than a sniff. My guess is that wouldn't even be the last team in.

7-5 with no quality wins does not equal a playoff birth. NDSU did happen to make the playoffs in 2010 with 7 wins but they had a win over an FBS team and multiple wins over ranked FCS teams.

UND has to beat EWU and run the table to even have a sniff at the playoffs. Even then I doubt it considering the big sky will at most get 3 teams in and based on current rankings, it will be dam near impossible for UND to jump EWU, Montana State or Montana.

If UND goes 7-5 with a loss to Eastern Washington, it would be difficult for UND to get in but they would still have a chance. However, you're completely off on the situation if UND wins out. At 8-4 with a win over Eastern Washington, UND would DEFINITELY make the playoffs; they would be 6-2 in the conference meaning they would end up top 3 over either MSU, Montana, or EWU.

Of course, so much of this is hypothetical. I'm just waiting to see how UND recovers from their injuries and plays in a couple weeks at Southern Utah. I certainly hope they grind out a win vs. the 1 win SUU team. 

The Missouri Valley is by far the toughest conference in the FCS this year. I don't even think a 7 win valley team gets in this year.

Do you think it really is?

I'm sure someone will do a big analysis but it appears to me the Big Sky is down a bit this year and Missouri Valley is solid. So I will say it, I think the Big Sky is second fiddle.

• Upvote 2

Big Sky is the same story every year. A few good teams at the top and horrible teams throughout the bottom.UND might win 7 games this year, but which win is going to stand out to the playoff committee and scream to them? There has never been a 7 win team, other than a conference champ, who has made the playoffs without winning a game against a ranked opponent or FBS team.

• Upvote 1

Big Sky is the same story every year. A few good teams at the top and horrible teams throughout the bottom.UND might win 7 games this year, but which win is going to stand out to the playoff committee and scream to them? There has never been a 7 win team, other than a conference champ, who has made the playoffs without winning a game against a ranked opponent or FBS team.

Who are you arguing with.....if you are looking for a reaction about the same story every year here is one- total !@#!$! comment.

• Upvote 1

You seem plugged in. More insightful posts, please.

• Upvote 1

Easily and no a 7-5 team will not get in.  5 loss teams don't make the playoffs nor deserve to by any means.  

I don't think its likely but you never know how conference play will shape up. 

Furman ended the season in a 3-way tie for first in the Southern Conference with a 7-5 overall record (and won the tie-breaker for the autobid) and won a game in the playoffs.  New Hampshire made it in with a 7-4 record over multiple teams with 8 or more wins and made it all the way to the semi-finals.

And the MVFC fanboys must disagree with you.  They were adamant that there should have been more teams in from the conference in but UNI and SIU were both 7-5.  I guess there was Youngstown at 8-4 but they finished the year like a train wreck.

Per club and my sources

McGill out for year acl donZo

Goes with what I have heard to. 

I was sitting next to one of the football players in the student section Saturday when McGill went down, he said he was clutching his knee.  I asked if it was the same one and he said yes.  He immediately said, oh man they are doing the ACL test on him.

Miller also hinted on the chat yesterday that Simmons could be done for the year as well.

If that 7-5 team beat the #2 team in the country, then they would have a shot.

UNI was 7-5 last year, they beat a Big 12 team and crushed a seeded playoff team. Hard to have a stronger resume then that, instead the committee went with powder puff South Carolina State who beat nobody of significance. 

UNI was 7-5 last year, they beat a Big 12 team and crushed a seeded playoff team. Hard to have a stronger resume then that, instead the committee went with powder puff South Carolina State who beat nobody of significance.

Isn't there an east coast bias with the selection committee or is it just with the polls?

8-4 is the only way UND makes the playoffs this season unfortunately. Realistically, i see them finishing 6-6. And yes, the MVFC is the best in the FCS by far this year. the big sky can NOT play defense. which makes me very, very excited for next season with most of this defense returning. UND can play a MVFC style of play in the Big Sky and EWU, UM, MSU won't know what hit them.