SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. MSU 'Cats on 09/27

Oxbow6

Just don't get it, huh? Stony Brook's defense is quite better than Montana States. I'm confident we'll be able to run the ball and play admirable defense.

UND definitely scores at least 2 touchdowns. You heard it here first.

I also suggest the downer UND fans read this article: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/tom-miller-und-defense-deserves-credit

You mean this article that refers to our offensive output as "putrid"?  People are very very happy with what Bubba has done with the defense and overall attitude of the team.  The offense is another story.  I've been a Sioux football fan for over 40 years, and this is about the worst offensive display I have ever seen.  Not just the output, but in the sheer futility of 1 yard run followed by 2 yard run.  It's like we didn't even try.  It was so painful to watch that people in my section started handicapping our plays for play and distance before they were run (with about 90% accuracy).  Most popular call - 1 yard run over left guard.  I know we all wax nostalgic for the "golden age" of Sioux football - when Lennon was winning - and fondly remember a fierce defense and a conservative "grind em up" offense.  Lennon was conservative, but mainly in field position calls - when to punt, when to go for it and liked to play the field position game.  Although our offense was run oriented, if you look at the games, we had a very diversified offense with runs, misdirections, and an accurate passing game all mixed in.  Although we weren't a throw the bomb and go for broke team, we often set things up for long plays.  We had a great passing game.  I think that people mis-remember this era and only recall the grind it out part.  We had some great quarterback play as well that was crucial to our winning.  I know that we have to play with the team we have now, but for many fans watching us bang our head against the wall that was the Stony Brook defense over and over again was frustrating.  I also believe that fans can comment on the offensive play selection and still be Bubba supporters and Fighting Sioux fans.  

• Upvote 4

Not a math wizard but 2 TDs equates to 14 points which is still less than 16...correct? So 2 TDs wouldn't be a step in the right direction because 16 is greater that 14.

Just saying...............

Two offensive touchdowns would be great considering I'm not including field goals and defensive scores. If UND can score 14 via 2 touchdowns, heck, UND may score 20 or 23 points.

Preview from the guy who thinks we will be winless in conference play...including a loss to a team we do not even play this year (ISU): http://bobcatnation.com/node/995

He also references Missouri St squeaking out a win over D2 Central Washington when they played FCS Central Arkansas.  Apparently he saw Central in the name and jumped to the wrong conclusion, even though Montana St squeaked by the same Central Arkansas team the week before.  Also says the Alerus seats 21,000 so I guess we can put that talk of a Memorial Stadium renovation to rest.....

He also references Missouri St squeaking out a win over D2 Central Washington when they played FCS Central Arkansas.  Apparently he saw Central in the name and jumped to the wrong conclusion.  Also says the Alerus seats 21,000 so I guess we can put that talk of a Memorial Stadium renovation to rest.....

Yeah I noticed that as well...I even double checked because didn't MSU squeak by central Ark a couple weeks ago as well?

You mean this article that refers to our offensive output as "putrid"? People are very very happy with what Bubba has done with the defense and overall attitude of the team. The offense is another story. I've been a Sioux football fan for over 40 years, and this is about the worst offensive display I have ever seen. Not just the output, but in the sheer futility of 1 yard run followed by 2 yard run. It's like we didn't even try. It was so painful to watch that people in my section started handicapping our plays for play and distance before they were run (with about 90% accuracy). Most popular call - 1 yard run over left guard. I know we all wax nostalgic for the "golden age" of Sioux football - when Lennon was winning - and fondly remember a fierce defense and a conservative "grind em up" offense. Lennon was conservative, but mainly in field position calls - when to punt, when to go for it and liked to play the field position game. Although our offense was run oriented, if you look at the games, we had a very diversified offense with runs, misdirections, and an accurate passing game all mixed in. Although we weren't a throw the bomb and go for broke team, we often set things up for long plays. We had a great passing game. I think that people mis-remember this era and only recall the grind it out part. We had some great quarterback play as well that was crucial to our winning. I know that we have to play with the team we have now, but for many fans watching us bang our head against the wall that was the Stony Brook defense over and over again was frustrating. I also believe that fans can comment on the offensive play selection and still be Bubba supporters and Fighting Sioux fans.

That's just it you put Freund Manke Bellmore or any of those guys under center here and our offense would put out 20 points a game consistently. Heck even Hanson and Hendrickson would put up number with Rudolphs offense. Those guys all had one thing in common, 10-20 yard darts that rarely missed, oh and touch on the ball.
  • Upvote 1

That's just it you put Freund Manke Bellmore or any of those guys under center here and our offense would put out 20 points a game consistently. Heck even Hanson and Hendrickson would put up number with Rudolphs offense. Those guys all had one thing in common, 10-20 yard darts that rarely missed, oh and touch on the ball.

I feel like we may have a slightly poorer man's Hanson on our bench right now.  Immobile but accurate.

He also references Missouri St squeaking out a win over D2 Central Washington when they played FCS Central Arkansas.  Apparently he saw Central in the name and jumped to the wrong conclusion, even though Montana St squeaked by the same Central Arkansas team the week before.  Also says the Alerus seats 21,000 so I guess we can put that talk of a Memorial Stadium renovation to rest.....

that game wasn't a squeaker. MSU led 37-7 going into the 4th and it never got closer than a 2 possession game after that.

Question for you 1AAfan...why does Montana State U try to promote the "M" so much? I've never seen a school try to brand their image that way - almost to spite the U of Montana. Can't imagine Michigan State trying to something similar so I was curious about your own MSU.

Question for you 1AAfan...why does Montana State U try to promote the "M" so much? I've never seen a school try to brand their image that way - almost to spite the U of Montana. Can't imagine Michigan State trying to something similar so I was curious about your own MSU.

http://www.montana.edu/them/history.html

A lot more history than just that but I can't remember exactly and can't find any more sources.  

This photo circa 1897 is our football team, haha.

1897footballteam.jpg

It does have the added bonus of pissing off Griz fans.

http://www.montana.edu/mountainsandminds/article.php?article=9313

Montana State spent $18,000 on a redesigned "M" and Bobcat logo and another $50,000 to incorporate the new logo into the athletic facilities. I think Montana puts more into the Grizzly Bear, then the "M" logo. The University wanted the Lincoln Grizzly to be displayed at the school, but the town of Lincoln won out on that decision. The highest concentration Grizzly Bears in the lower 48 is in Montana.

http://www.montana.edu/them/history.html

A lot more history than just that but I can't remember exactly and can't find any more sources.  

This photo circa 1897 is our football team, haha.

1897footballteam.jpg

It does have the added bonus of pissing off Griz fans.

http://www.montana.edu/mountainsandminds/article.php?article=9313

Thanks for the scoop and history bit there - good stuff.  I have been thru Bozeman once (family vacation from ND to Washington) when I was about 12 and I remember seeing the M on the mountain.  Didn't recall it until reading your link.  Very cool.

My memory isn't great and my history is shaky, but I think Kramer brought back the M in 2000 when he took over to bring back the tradition to MSU, got rid of the Cat head logo.  I don't think it had been used for a long long time.  But now it's incorporated not only in athletics, but you'll see a big M for the university as a whole in advertising.  

We also have www.montana.edu which pisses off Griz fans as well.  :)

UND is a huge underdog in this game so It's enjoyable to have visitors that are able to have an intelligent conversation and not just come here to insult UND and its fans. We know we have some building to do to be in the top tier, sometimes it's just nice to talk football. 

What will be interesting in this game is to see how the UND defense performs.   It seemed that EWU defense was non-existent last weekend against the Cats.   While your offense is questionable,  the D is obviously improved.   This game seems to be the first good test for the defense.   The D wins game and can make up for some of the weakness on offense. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously, the UND defense needs to be the unit to win games this season.

Remember, S Reyes and NT Hinojosa did not play against Missouri State, and both made a huge impact versus Stony Brook.

Also, I think the younger players (CB Chris Carter, DEs Dranka and Greeley, FS Domo Blackmon, etc.) are starting to feel much more comfortable in their new roles.

If UND can play tough defense in Bozeman, even if it's a loss, then that will tell big for UND's potential the rest of the season.

Also, it's very important that UND can run the ball with Norberg and possibly Shaugabay and Simmons. If all three backs play on Saturday, that'd be a nice combo of runners. UND ground out over 50 yards on 27 carries vs Stony Brook with Norberg; I really think with 27 carries against a weaker defensive line in Montana State will better produce on the ground for UND. I was impressed with the size and physicality of Stony Brook's defensive line. Need the running game to be productive for UND in order to win games this season (exception is apparently at the Alerus where the defense can single-handily win games).

• Upvote 1

Obviously, the UND defense needs to be the unit to win games this season.

Remember, S Reyes and NT Hinojosa did not play against Missouri State, and both made a huge impact versus Stony Brook.

Also, I think the younger players (CB Chris Carter, DEs Dranka and Greeley, FS Domo Blackmon, etc.) are starting to feel much more comfortable in their new roles.

If UND can play tough defense in Bozeman, even if it's a loss, then that will tell big for UND's potential the rest of the season.

Also, it's very important that UND can run the ball with Norberg and possibly Shaugabay and Simmons. If all three backs play on Saturday, that'd be a nice combo of runners. UND ground out over 50 yards on 27 carries vs Stony Brook with Norberg; I really think with 27 carries against a weaker defensive line in Montana State will better produce on the ground for UND. I was impressed with the size and physicality of Stony Brook's defensive line. Need the running game to be productive for UND in order to win games this season (exception is apparently at the Alerus where the defense can single-handily win games).

I agree with your view.  I think UND has a chance to rush for over 100 yards Saturday.  Nordberg with most of the carries.  Defense with have their hands full and will need to create some TO's.  I think this can be a close game and low scoring.  If we rush and control the clock it will throw off their up tempo game and maybe not feel as comfortable.

• Upvote 1

I agree with your view.  I think UND has a chance to rush for over 100 yards Saturday.  Nordberg with most of the carries.  Defense with have their hands full and will need to create some TO's.  I think this can be a close game and low scoring.  If we rush and control the clock it will throw off their up tempo game and maybe not feel as comfortable.

Very good point. One of the reasons the Montana St.-Eastern Washington tilt from last weekend was so high-scoring was due to the fact that both teams matched each-other's tempo. Both played at a fast pace that made it very tough on the defenses, which both aren't very talented/experienced to begin with. 

One of the best things you can do in terms of a general game-plan to counter that is play ball control offense, or at least try to. Even if you don't move the ball for first downs, drain the clock as much as you can. That will be UND's plan in this game and all games moving forward (and I LOVE it). 

One of the best things you can do in terms of a general game-plan to counter that is play ball control offense, or at least try to. Even if you don't move the ball for first downs, drain the clock as much as you can. That will be UND's plan in this game and all games moving forward (and I LOVE it). 

With all due respect what does this accomplish?  At some point the offense has to put a drive together, which will require getting multilpe first downs, to score some points.  "Draining the clock" as you state does nothing other than stick the D back on the field quickly.  If you want to drain the clock and possibly get points, first downs are must.  We might hit a big play on occasion but at some point you can't continually go 3 and out.

• Upvote 1

One of the best things you can do in terms of a general game-plan to counter that is play ball control offense, or at least try to. Even if you don't move the ball for first downs, drain the clock as much as you can.

I'm not sure how much time a team can drain from the clock by consistently running 3 plays and then punting all game long. Am I missing something with this "strategy"?

• Upvote 1