UND vs. MSU 'Cats on 09/27

Oxbow6

Sioux94 gave me a great idea: 

UND play selection through four games

SJSU: Rush 32 Pass 20

RMU: Rush 34 Pass 22

MSU: Rush 34 Pass 28

SB: Rush 36 Pass 7 

OK, the reality is that the SB game is an aberration caused by a two-score lead and the defense having the SB offense completely under control. 

Beyond that, there's the balanced offense some seem to be looking for; however, I must note that some of the passing against MSU was "playing catch-up". I'd say Bubba and Rudolph are looking for a 60/40 run approach based on that small sample size. 

Also note in their tightest game (UMontana) even NDSU went run heavy (low mistakes, ball control). 

Folks, if you gave me a the best defense in FCS and a running game that guaranteed, *guaranteed*, 3.5 yards per attempt, never less, I'd *never* pass the ball. (Do the math.) 

(*My recording is skipping*) I still want to see Joe on rollout to his dominant side. Simplify the reads, make his oh crap reaction to run instead of errant toss. Should play in well off of the consistent HB dives.

I tend to agree, I think he should be more willing to pull the ball down and run it.  If it isn't happening early just get something out of it instead of an incompletion or INT. 

So continues the "Battle of the Bakken" saga.  I do believe that Bubba is righting the Sioux Ship, and yes, it does start by building a defense that can stop the upper tier BSC offenses.  However, you have to score more points in order to win one of these top tier games (over 30).  I don't see UND defense scoring 20+ to get it done this weekend.  I also don't see it as such a lopsided affair as the last two Bakken Battles.  This one will be closer.  Cats-46 UND-16. 

That being said, anyone headed out West is always welcome at any of our tailgate parties.  Come enjoy some cold ones and the Rockies!

As far as some of the other comments posted so far.  Some keep referring to the EWU game with us as a "no defense" game.  All I have to say about that is simple: You got to get off the porch to run with the Big Dogs.        i.e. you HAVE to respect VA and EWU's air game.  You stack the box against EWU and you are in for a long, long day.

If you guys don't pass this Saturday, the CATS will load the box and make sure you don't run it either.

Have to smile when you see the opponent giving UND props for keeping this one "closer" with a 30pt loss and giving up 40+ points.

Feels like UND is a cute little puppy chasing it's tail...no threat to anyone.

Have to smile when you see the opponent giving UND props for keeping this one "closer" with a 30pt loss and giving up 40+ points.

Feels like UND is a cute little puppy chasing it's tail...no threat to anyone.

Since 2008 we have been that puppy. It's not like we have been taking down the big dogs. Hopefully Bubba will give this team some bark.

Since 2008 we have been that puppy. It's not like we have been taking down the big dogs. Hopefully Bubba will give this team some bark.

Need to beat a top 20 FCS ranked team soon to earn respect. Even before UND is consistently winning 8+ games per season to make the playoffs, UND needs to be competitive and upset a team once in a while. UND won't beat Eastern Washington this year, and it will be tough versus Montana State on the road, but Northern Arizona and even Montana are real possibilities at home this season. The defense has played good to great at the Alerus thus far. You just have a feeling that is what Bubba wants to do because he witnessed the defensive magic UND's defense brought to the Alerus in 2001 and 2003.

Need to beat a top 20 FCS ranked team soon to earn respect. Even before UND is consistently winning 8+ games per season to make the playoffs, UND needs to be competitive and upset a team once in a while. UND won't beat Eastern Washington this year, and it will be tough versus Montana State on the road, but Northern Arizona and even Montana are real possibilities at home this season. The defense has played good to great at the Alerus thus far. You just have a feeling that is what Bubba wants to do because he witnessed the defensive magic UND's defense brought to the Alerus in 2001 and 2003.

The closest we have come was beating a down Montana team. We haven't beaten a ranked team since '09 against Cal Poly. But we need to start knocking down the big boys of the BSC (UM, MSU, and EWU) consistently. Will not be this year, but in the next couple years we should be attempting to scare the big guys.

The closest we have come was beating a down Montana team. We haven't beaten a ranked team since '09 against Cal Poly. But we need to start knocking down the big boys of the BSC (UM, MSU, and EWU) consistently. Will not be this year, but in the next couple years we should be attempting to scare the big guys.

USD was ranked in the Goska to Anderson game.

24. Also SUU was 17th when we pounded them in Utah.

Cal Poly was 16 when we beat them. But we need bigger fish, EWU, MSU, UM (ranked and not down) and next year NDSU. Bigger wins equal bigger respect. We had tons of respect in the NCC days known as a powerhouse now we wouldn't even be a powerouthouse.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-montana-state-comes-loss-prepares-home-game-against-und

Nice article with quotes from Montana State's head coach Rob Ash. Basically says three optimistic things for UND:

1) UND's defense is already much better with improved schemes and talent/speed. Will improve with more defensive athletes that Bubba wants to recruit.

2) UND's offense is physical and a good fit for the defense.

3) UND's new defensive and ball-control philosophy perhaps better fits the upper Midwest.

Do you guys drink Big Sky beer in Bozeman or is that a no no in Bobcat coutry?!! :)

Our beer of choice at the tailgate is Miner's Gold, from Lewis and Clark Brewery in Helena, but there's lots to choose from. Montana has the highest number of micro-breweries per capita of anyplace in the US!!

I think everyone agrees that it would be nice to have more balance (passing) in the offensive game plan.  The only disagreement seems to be whether UND has the personnel to do it, or whether UND should pass more even if it doesn't have the personnel.  I tend to think the coaches would implement a more balanced offense if they felt they had the players to execute it.  I think the inept offense is more a reflection of the players the coaches have than their abilities to install an offense and call plays. 

I think Saturday is likely going to be a rough day.  Everyone talks about how UND's defense has improved.  And it has.  But the only teams it has been able to limit (Robert Morris and Stony Brook) have really bad offenses. This defense, while improved, will still give up plenty of points to a really good offense like Montana State.  And UND's offense isn't nearly good enough to keep up.  It hopefully won't be as bad as the last two years, but I think Montana State will win going away.

One of these years, I'd like to make it out to Bozeman to watch the game in person. 

I'm planning a trip to Grand Forks next year for sure. didn't make it last year.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-montana-state-comes-loss-prepares-home-game-against-und

Nice article with quotes from Montana State's head coach Rob Ash. Basically says three optimistic things for UND:

1) UND's defense is already much better with improved schemes and talent/speed. Will improve with more defensive athletes that Bubba wants to recruit.

2) UND's offense is physical and a good fit for the defense.

3) UND's new defensive and ball-control philosophy perhaps better fits the upper Midwest.

I agree with #1 and #3.    #2 is taking a #2 currently.

Our beer of choice at the tailgate is Miner's Gold, from Lewis and Clark Brewery in Helena, but there's lots to choose from. Montana has the highest number of micro-breweries per capita of anyplace in the US!!

Lewis and Clark Brewery has good beer, their Imperial IPA Super Weed is a 9.75% ABV and their Big Belt Weizenbock is 8.0% ABV. I remember them having a beer that was either 9.0% ABV or 13.0% ABV. Helena has two micro-breweries, Lewis and Clark Brewery and Blackfoot Brewery, a Distillery Triple Divide Sprits, and talk about three guys starting another brewery. 

No offense but we played USD the last game of the year.

You can't possibly argue South Dakota was a reputation-changing win. How'd South Dakota do the next season?

Even beating Montana or Eastern Washington (not this years EWU though) would be iffy because they're conference teams; we're supposed to compete with them and beat them occasionally. Beating a good OOC team (NDSU) or an FBS program is what really boosts reputation.

• Upvote 1

Even beating Montana or Eastern Washington (not this years EWU though) would be iffy because they're conference teams; we're supposed to compete with them and beat them occasionally. 

Not so fast ... ;) 

Were UND to roll out three wins against Montana State, Montana, and EWU this year, oh yeah, it'd be noticed. 

Will it happen? Uh, about the same odds as me and the PowerBall. #soyouresayingtheresachance :D

You can't possibly argue South Dakota was a reputation-changing win. How'd South Dakota do the next season?

Even beating Montana or Eastern Washington (not this years EWU though) would be iffy because they're conference teams; we're supposed to compete with them and beat them occasionally. Beating a good OOC team (NDSU) or an FBS program is what really boosts reputation.

Did I not just say top five is the only thing that turns heads?