SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. MSU 'Cats on 09/27

Oxbow6

Oh....I get it NOW!   UND's offensive philosophy of pounding the ball without success and not will to try anything else is just an attempt to try to keep the losing points spread palatable by limiting the other team's offense.  If UND gets a few first downs that's just gravy.  Actually having or expecting the offense to score points at any point in a game...meh.

If you are talking about the first half then yes, you have a point that they could try to get more done.  

If you are talking about the second half then, yep, the offense was pretty much trying to run the clock and keep the opposing team's point total down.  Seemed to work for that particular game.  

Once again, was UND playing "catchup" against Stony Brook?  No, Stony Brook was, hence the play-calling.

Pretty sure the coaches wouldn't run up the middle three times if they are losing by 14 points.   :silly:

Also, remember the Missouri State game when UND was losing by 20 or 30 points?  How did the passing game look when we were trying to play catchup?

And how do you not play catchup? You have to out score your opponents. Is UND going to rely on its defense to out score MSU so it doesn't have to play catchup?

No one is arguing it's ok to play conservative late in the game when your up by two possessions. But it's a different story when the game is tied at 0. And you put all your hope on creating defensive turnovers. That's a formula for failure.

• Upvote 1

And how do you not play catchup? You have to out score your opponents. Is UND going to rely on its defense to out score MSU so it doesn't have to play catchup?

No one is arguing it's ok to play conservative late in the game when your up by two possessions. But it's a different story when the game is tied at 0. And you put all your hope on creating defensive turnovers. That's a formula for failure.

Has the game been played yet?  Geez.  It's on Saturday, why don't you wait and see how it goes before telling us what they did.

They will more than likely be losing at some point, so you guys will get all the chances you want to see this 50/50 P/R, diverse offense that you all know we have. 

My point to everyone is this:  The offense vs. Stony Brook was called the way it was because of that particular game situation.  That does not mean the next week they will throw 7 times and run up the middle 29 times.  Believe it or not, each game presents a different scenario of events.

At Missouri State, UND threw 28 times.   Lost 38-nuts.

At San Jose State, UND threw 20 times.  Lost 42-10

Vs. Bobby Mo, UND threw 22 times.        Won 16-13

Vs. Stony Brook, UND threw 7 times.       Won 13-3.  

Passing 10-15 more times doesn't equal wins.  Offense, Defense, and Special Teams ALL playing together is what has gotten UND two wins.  

• Upvote 2

Has the game been played yet?  Geez.  It's on Saturday, why don't you wait and see how it goes before telling us what they did.

They will more than likely be losing at some point, so you guys will get all the chances you want to see this 50/50 P/R, diverse offense that you all know we have.

People here are saying UNDs offensive philosophy will be "Even if you don't move the ball for first downs, drain the clock as much as you can."

A) You won't score any points. So one must ask how do they plan to not play catch up? Have the defense score the points?

B) If that is the philosophy when you are winning. You are playing not to lose like Mussman.

I guess the genius with this offense is it's 27 straight run plays. Then a 80 yard td pass no one saw coming.

People here are saying UNDs offensive philosophy will be "Even if you don't move the ball for first downs, drain the clock as much as you can."

A) You won't score any points. So one must ask how do they plan to not play catch up? Have the defense score the points?

B) If that is the philosophy when you are winning. You are playing not to lose like Mussman.

I guess the genius with this offense is it's 27 straight run plays. Then a 80 yard td pass no one saw coming.

In the second half vs. Stony Brook, yes that was the philosophy.  

Did anybody say that it was the UND's new offensive philosophy for every game moving forward?  UND chose that philosophy vs. Stony Brook but threw 3-4X that much vs. the other three opponents.  Every game is different.  

• Upvote 2

You are really playing and planning to not make mistakes and then force the opponent to turn the ball over or make a play in special teams to get a short field and some points.   It just looks and feels terrible right now because the offensive talent we have isn't or can't get it done.  The line play has been bad, but so has pretty much everything else on offense and I get wanted to do some different things but right now I don't think it would actually help. 

• Upvote 1

In the second half vs. Stony Brook, yes that was the philosophy.  

Did anybody say that it was the UND's new offensive philosophy for every game moving forward? .

Yes they did. At least for this game.

Funny bubba says he doesn't care about the scoreboard (when he's losing), but the fans can't do the same after a win?

UND was one play away from losing against Stony Brook... There is lots to be concerned about. but like many have pointed out we aren't excepted to win this game. So what does UND have to lose?!

Funny bubba says he doesn't care about the scoreboard (when he's losing), but the fans can't do the same after a win?

Incorrect on that.  Bubba's comments about not caring about the scoreboard have nothing to do with winning or losing.  It is a reference to the effort he wants to see from the team and that they are playing with 100% regardless of the scoreboard.  Clearly something that has been lacking the last few years.  He specifically made a point to address it as it has been misunderstood multiple times.

• Upvote 2

UNDs offense is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I get that.

You have an offensive line that isn't very good. Which means UND will have trouble running or passing.

UND doesn't have a running back that can consistently get us five yards.

UND doesn't have a QB that can consistently hit receivers.

So we are left with play calling that will run the clock out limiting the other teams possessions. Hope the running back will eventually break one. And throw in a couple pass plays hoping they will break one.

Early week prediction which is subject to change...MSU 38  UND 10

I think the defense plays very well for a half but TOP favors MSU 2:1 in the 2nd half and the D gets worn out.

Mid week revision of early week prediction........UND runs the ball 43 times for 78 yards, wins the TOP battle to limit MSU's offnese, the defense gives up only 10 points by half but MSU still wins 31-6. (No missed PAT this week but 2 FGs made)

Incorrect on that.  Bubba's comments about not caring about the scoreboard have nothing to do with winning or losing.  It is a reference to the effort he wants to see from the team and that they are playing with 100% regardless of the scoreboard.  Clearly something that has been lacking the last few years.  He specifically made a point to address it as it has been misunderstood multiple times.

I think it's safe to assume everyone on the offense in the second half versus Stony Brook wasn't giving a 100% as they only gained 6 yards.

I am going to be the eternal optimist!

Stony Brook is solid defensively.  They are #1 in total defense in the CAA so far this year, and they were #2 in total defense in the CAA last season.  The CAA is a good league, right up there with the Big Sky and MVFC.

I am not going to make a prediction on the score against the Boobcats, but I will predict that we get over 300 yards total offense and it will be fairly balanced between run and pass.  Last year we ran for 165 yards on these guys.  We had no help from the defense.  Mollberg started and got yanked.  We all can see that it will take a lot for Joe to get pulled this year, so he shouldn't be looking over his shoulder.  If anything, he should be highly motivated to silence his critics.  

Montana's defense is usually decent, but not as good as Stony Brook's, or perhaps even Missouri State's defense......

MSU runs the ball well, but I don't see them getting 330+ like last year.  The defense is playing well, and our linebackers appear to be the best position group we have.  

You ran for a buck 65, but a lot of that was against our 2's and 3's

Mid week revision of early week prediction........UND runs the ball 43 times for 78 yards, wins the TOP battle to limit MSU's offnese, the defense gives up only 10 points by half but MSU still wins 31-6. (No missed PAT this week but 2 FGs made)

My scenerio for a Sioux win - after battling for field position in a scoreless first quarter, MSU plays into our hands by driving down to our 4 and throwing a pick 6.  The Sioux then start running the same two plays over and over again for 1 or 2 yards.  This is so mind-numbingly boring that several MSU defensive linemen nod off and we break a couple of long scores.  

• Upvote 2

Question for you 1AAfan...why does Montana State U try to promote the "M" so much? I've never seen a school try to brand their image that way - almost to spite the U of Montana. Can't imagine Michigan State trying to something similar so I was curious about your own MSU.

The M is a tribute to the largest block M on the side of a mountain, anywhere in the country. I know because I had to paint it as a freshman.

My point to everyone is this:  The offense vs. Stony Brook was called the way it was because of that particular game situation.  That does not mean the next week they will throw 7 times and run up the middle 29 times.  Believe it or not, each game presents a different scenario of events.

Passing 10-15 more times doesn't equal wins.  Offense, Defense, and Special Teams ALL playing together is what has gotten UND two wins.

Alternative conclusion: playing teams of lesser quality than MSU and SJSU has gotten UND two wins, regardless of game plan.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  Mike Tyson

• Upvote 3

Again, its going to be a boring first year of the Bubba regime primarily because we don't have the bodies and skills at the positions we need on the offense.  Defense is king with Bubba and he wasn't going to have his first year be marred by a crappy defense even if he doesn't have the kids.  Specifically, when talking to the parents of the players at tailgating it seems a handful of guys who are fast got moved to defense to shore of that side of the ball.  The takeaway from this approach is we better be happy with whatever we get from the offensive side of the ball.

As for mixing the plays, I have to think Rudolph is not going to have such a disparate breakdown between runs and passes this game.  In particular, I'm thinking we are going to see 15-20 passing plays mixed in with a ton of running.

My prediction is 28-3 MSU

Go Sioux Football!

Our completion percentage really shows we should just drop back and pass.   I would like to see more passing as bad as our passing game is right now it would be counter productive.  With our QB we would just turn in over more and maybe complete 1 of 4 passes.  It needs to be part of the offense at some point but I don't think UND is capable at this point.

To that point, We have struggled some on defense so far, but if UND is THAT one-dimensional and can't throw a lick, our front 7 will stop the run especially with safety help. You will have to have some success throwing the ball to stay in this game.

To that point, We have struggled some on defense so far, but if UND is THAT one-dimensional and can't throw a lick, our front 7 will stop the run especially with safety help. You will have to have some success throwing the ball to stay in this game.

Not to bother you....but can you repeat that bolded and underlined part again?

I don't disagree, I just don't believe UND has much ability to throw right now.

There's a reason they actually play the games.

Given the score last week of the Montana State-Eastern Washington game, I think UND will have improved success running the football vs. the Bobcats. Of course, no matter what, UND will only win if the defense plays a great game, because even if UND's offense improves from last week, it won't be enough to single-handily outscore Montana State unless UND's defense plays well. 

Montana State is probably the second best offense we play for the remainder of the season, behind Eastern Washington, so this will be a really good challenge for the defense. 

Not to bother you....but can you repeat that bolded and underlined part again?

UND didn't get shutout by Missouri State for lack of pass attempts.....

My scenerio for a Sioux win - after battling for field position in a scoreless first quarter, MSU plays into our hands by driving down to our 4 and throwing a pick 6.  The Sioux then start running the same two plays over and over again for 1 or 2 yards.  This is so mind-numbingly boring that several MSU defensive linemen nod off and we break a couple of long scores.  

I like it.  Maybe simplify down to one play though cause according to some we are incapable of executing anything else.  (We do have college athletes on our team, right?)