SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. MSU 'Cats on 09/27

Oxbow6

So what I'm gathering by some here is UND can't run the ball effectively but the more they do it limits the other team's offensive potential because it chews up the clock and thus shortening the game but yet UND can't pass the ball either with success.

So to summerize UND's offensive capabilities heading into Saturday.............

Here are some offensive variables I'd like to point out from the 2014 season to date:

- our OL play past and present
- our RB play past and present (plus injuries)

- 2 of our best WRs are true freshman who have trouble getting off the line so far

- 95% of our WR production from 2013 (pass happy offense) is gone, with a couple of them being 2 of the best to ever play WR at UND

- and finally this number ----> 46%

That is just screaming for the UND offense to open up the playbook is it not? 

We have what we have right now for personnel, and we are executing how we are executing, specifically in the passing game.  I dont think there is a single person on here or UND fan in general who doesnt WANT to be able pass the ball more, much less Bubba and Rudolph.  I promise that both men wish they could pass more effectively right now.

Until one specific player steps up and proves otherwise, we can expect to see much more of the same because to put it simply, it's obvious it's all we can do right now.  I'm not sure how you can try ask an offense without the requisite skills to execute something they've repeatedly shown they aren't capable of doing at this point. 

Bubba is playing the hand he's been dealt the best he can, whether it's what he or any of us want is a completely different story.

• Upvote 1

Those making the trip, stop by any of the tailgates!!

There is one on 11th Ave in particular where Montana brewed beer is readily available. Just look for the 250# Bald guy!

Pickle Barrel is pretty good place to eat on College Ave.  

Do you guys drink Big Sky beer in Bozeman or is that a no no in Bobcat coutry?!! :)

Lewis and Clark and Blackfoot are good I've only had Bozone once

With all the talk about ball control, TOP, and defense...it raises a question.

How many first downs will the offense need to accumulate, and how many first downs will the defense need to limit, for UND to be in position to win?

16 for UND. 12 for the Cats.

So continues the "Battle of the Bakken" saga.  I do believe that Bubba is righting the Sioux Ship, and yes, it does start by building a defense that can stop the upper tier BSC offenses.  However, you have to score more points in order to win one of these top tier games (over 30).  I don't see UND defense scoring 20+ to get it done this weekend.  I also don't see it as such a lopsided affair as the last two Bakken Battles.  This one will be closer.  Cats-46 UND-16. 

That being said, anyone headed out West is always welcome at any of our tailgate parties.  Come enjoy some cold ones and the Rockies!

As far as some of the other comments posted so far.  Some keep referring to the EWU game with us as a "no defense" game.  All I have to say about that is simple: You got to get off the porch to run with the Big Dogs.        i.e. you HAVE to respect VA and EWU's air game.  You stack the box against EWU and you are in for a long, long day.

If you guys don't pass this Saturday, the CATS will load the box and make sure you don't run it either.

So what I'm gathering by some here is UND can't run the ball effectively but the more they do it limits the other team's offensive potential because it chews up the clock and thus shortening the game but yet UND can't pass the ball either with success.

So to summerize UND's offensive capabilities heading into Saturday.............

I dont understand it either. Going 3 and out every offensive possession isnt running the clock out for any team.

So continues the "Battle of the Bakken" saga. I do believe that Bubba is righting the Sioux Ship, and yes, it does start by building a defense that can stop the upper tier BSC offenses. However, you have to score more points in order to win one of these top tier games (over 30). I don't see UND defense scoring 20+ to get it done this weekend. I also don't see it as such a lopsided affair as the last two Bakken Battles. This one will be closer. Cats-46 UND-16.

That being said, anyone headed out West is always welcome at any of our tailgate parties. Come enjoy some cold ones and the Rockies!

As far as some of the other comments posted so far. Some keep referring to the EWU game with us as a "no defense" game. All I have to say about that is simple: You got to get off the porch to run with the Big Dogs. i.e. you HAVE to respect VA and EWU's air game. You stack the box against EWU and you are in for a long, long day.

If you guys don't pass this Saturday, the CATS will load the box and make sure you don't run it either.

Offense has yet to show anything yet, so can't argue with you there. One of these weeks the ground attack will burst out though.

As for the defense, they've played really well. They'll hold the 'Cats under 40 points, but that doesn't mean UND will win. If Montana State scores over 30, UND has no chance.

So continues the "Battle of the Bakken" saga.  I do believe that Bubba is righting the Sioux Ship, and yes, it does start by building a defense that can stop the upper tier BSC offenses.  However, you have to score more points in order to win one of these top tier games (over 30).  I don't see UND defense scoring 20+ to get it done this weekend.  I also don't see it as such a lopsided affair as the last two Bakken Battles.  This one will be closer.  Cats-46 UND-16. 

That being said, anyone headed out West is always welcome at any of our tailgate parties.  Come enjoy some cold ones and the Rockies!

As far as some of the other comments posted so far.  Some keep referring to the EWU game with us as a "no defense" game.  All I have to say about that is simple: You got to get off the porch to run with the Big Dogs.        i.e. you HAVE to respect VA and EWU's air game.  You stack the box against EWU and you are in for a long, long day.

It's so nice to have a fan from one of our rivals come here, talk about the game, talk up their team, and not be a total douche.

• Upvote 2

It's so nice to have a fan from one of our rivals come here, talk about the game, talk up their team, and not be a total douche.

So you have had some posters from E-griz!  :whistling:

Most of the level headed posters on other message boards (including our bobcatnation.com) welcome insightful information that some of the fans can offer.  Yes, it is completely "homer" talk, but I like to read other teams forums to understand what to expect from a team on gameday.  Almost an amateur scouting report if you will.  The fans will discuss all sorts of odd angles that you can't get from formal scouting reports.  I probably prefer yours to others because there is actual action happening here.  On some sites, you might get to visit with someone the day before the game.

We had our local CAT Chat tonight at a local bar called The Pour House (great food if you are in town this weekend).  Its the weekly coaches radio show where the host and bar patron's get to ask Coach Ash and usually a couple of players questions about the previous game and of course the upcoming game.  He definitely respects your D and the stunts/shiftiness that it brings.  He said that they will have to be creative this Saturday to put points on the board.  He also said that your O is going to smash it down your throat and bring right at you.

Here's to some hard knocking football! 

So you have had some posters from E-griz! :whistling:

Most of the level headed posters on other message boards (including our bobcatnation.com) welcome insightful information that some of the fans can offer. Yes, it is completely "homer" talk, but I like to read other teams forums to understand what to expect from a team on gameday. Almost an amateur scouting report if you will. The fans will discuss all sorts of odd angles that you can't get from formal scouting reports. I probably prefer yours to others because there is actual action happening here. On some sites, you might get to visit with someone the day before the game.

We had our local CAT Chat tonight at a local bar called The Pour House (great food if you are in town this weekend). Its the weekly coaches radio show where the host and bar patron's get to ask Coach Ash and usually a couple of players questions about the previous game and of course the upcoming game. He definitely respects your D and the stunts/shiftiness that it brings. He said that they will have to be creative this Saturday to put points on the board. He also said that your O is going to smash it down your throat and bring right at you.

Here's to some hard knocking football!

Speaking of amateur, that guy that 'writes' for your site. He had Garmin and Carr listed as players to watch amongst other errors. At least that article was free....

Speaking of amateur, that guy that 'writes' for your site. He had Garmin and Carr listed as players to watch amongst other errors. At least that article was free....

Some of us follow him and some of us don't...........  As for his info concerning the CATS, he has some good player to player insight.  As for info on the teams we play, well you get the picture.  That is why I read other teams sites.  I'm not going to message our writer to find out about your team.  I'll just ask you guys.  On the other hand, if you want to learn about the CATS, read some of his stuff.  It is usually right on concerning our players and coaches.

Some of us follow him and some of us don't...........  As for his info concerning the CATS, he has some good player to player insight.  As for info on the teams we play, well you get the picture.  That is why I read other teams sites.  I'm not going to message our writer to find out about your team.  I'll just ask you guys.  On the other hand, if you want to learn about the CATS, read some of his stuff.  It is usually right on concerning our players and coaches.

Don't mind him - Geaux Sioux hasn't been himself since "Big Snacks" left.  

• Upvote 1

I don't think those of us that are saying we would like some more creativity in the offense are wanting Mollberg to chuck the ball around like Peyton Manning.  However lets say we did actually throw twice on first down during the game.  Lets say those are incomplete passes......I guess that gives the other team an extra 60-90 seconds of potential TOP during the entire game.  Is that 90 seconds that we didn't 'run the clock' really going to cause us to lose the game?   Heck, we might even complete one of those passes and maybe even get a first down out of it, then we can do the three runs up the middle.  Could he throw end up throwing a pick 6?  Yeah he sure could, but probably less likely to throw a pick on first down when they are not expecting it than when it is third and 6.  Or unless maybe those people are saying we have no capability of throwing and should just scrap that completely and not throw one time during the game because something bad could happen (ok being a little sarcastic there with the not throwing even one time during the game).  Everyone seems to love the fact that we are changing to a ground control and strong defense, and some of you have even mentioned how well it can work for the Bison.  I am totally on board with a solid defense as the foundation, and ground control.  I just looked up the Rush/Pass attempts for 3 of the Bison games (since some have referred to how it works for them)

Iowa State   Rush 26  Pass 31

Weber State  Rush 29  Pass 43

Montana     Rush 55  Pass  24

I certainly don't want us passing 43 times again, but I think those of us looking for creativity are just wanting a bit more balance.  And I'm guessing even NDSU and other ground offenses throw on first down on occasion just to mix it up.  Running the clock out at the end of the game is always good, but you don't want to play too much 'not to lose'.   The MSU game is likely to be higher scoring and we will surely be bound to throw a bit more, and I'm really hoping what geaux_sioux is true and that Rudolph has been playing extra close to the vest the first 4 games.  I think what some of us want is a few more small wrinkles in the offense, and you don't have to scrap your overall philosophy to do that.  And you know what, to ever get to a championship level you generally have to throw one or two wrinkles into your game plan, or throw once or twice on first down even if you are conservative.  Some talk about building our philosophy, well I hope our philosophy is to not always be this predictable in the future.  Maybe the wrinkles won't work against MSU or other top teams this year, but I'd like to see us try......as I'm pretty sure we are going to be losing these games anyway, so lets try and not go without a fight.  I'd rather lose taking one or two swings and say I tried.  Plus that helps build our philosophy of players know the coaches are going to come up with a wrinkle or something in the game plan to potentially put our team at a coaching advantage.

I think this will be a telling game and I'll be interesting to see the play calling on the offensive side.

• Upvote 1

Meindel's 4-game suspension should be over, but I don't see him on the two-deep. He's going to have a tough time displacing Bolduc the way Bolduc has been punting.

Bubba said on the coaches show last night that Meindel is eligible now but that they will stay with Bolduc as the punter.

He also said that Cedric Simmons remains out, and still waiting to hear on Shaugaby. Expect a heavy dose of Norberg again.

I think everyone agrees that it would be nice to have more balance (passing) in the offensive game plan.  The only disagreement seems to be whether UND has the personnel to do it, or whether UND should pass more even if it doesn't have the personnel.  I tend to think the coaches would implement a more balanced offense if they felt they had the players to execute it.  I think the inept offense is more a reflection of the players the coaches have than their abilities to install an offense and call plays. 

I think Saturday is likely going to be a rough day.  Everyone talks about how UND's defense has improved.  And it has.  But the only teams it has been able to limit (Robert Morris and Stony Brook) have really bad offenses. This defense, while improved, will still give up plenty of points to a really good offense like Montana State.  And UND's offense isn't nearly good enough to keep up.  It hopefully won't be as bad as the last two years, but I think Montana State will win going away.

One of these years, I'd like to make it out to Bozeman to watch the game in person. 

There's no question UND wants to be a balanced offense with the emphasis on the running game.

If anyone would look past last week's game, they would remember TE screens vs. San Jose State, multiple deep crossing routes and double moves vs. Robert Morris, and a flea flicker vs. Missouri State. The point is, when the game and/or personnel dictate it, Rudolph will take shots down the field and mix it up. Even vs. Stony Brook the play that gave UND the lead for good was a fake jet sweep pass downfield for a TD. Rudolph will call games aggressively when the time calls for it, but last week, given how the offense had performed and the defense was performing, playing extra-conservative was the right call (notice the big 'W' next to the Stony Brook game).