SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance for Saturday

Risky

I know there has been a debate here recently about student attendance. As a current student, let me give you what I believe to be my insight into attendance problems here and at the Ralph.

Lets focus on football first. The biggest problem is the football program is viewed as a joke on campus. Students on social media constatnly make fun of the team. Until the team is "respectable" ,and what we as students define as respectable is beyond me, attendance will not be high. The ushers and rules at the football game are significantly less of a problem than one might think (I will go into more detail on the Ralphs ushers later.) Very rarely have they come down, to where I can see them( I'm usually front row though, so oblivious to whats going on behind me.) As for what "incentives" could be used to draw more students to the games, I' not 100% sure. I know that quite a few students enjoy the fact that the football team comes over for high fives after the game, win or lose. I guess Athletics and the Alerus could find ways to make the students feel more welcome. Maybe getting the band to play more than one song a season facing us would make us feel more important? For tailgaiting, we feel disconnected from the rest of the crowd. It's like it was an afterthought to give students a tailgate lot and gave them the only lot they had left. Nothing is involved over there besides the NoDak nation tent, and whatever little table they occasionally have near the tent. Weather is also a huge factor in how the turnout is for tailgaiting

Now for hockey. I know the Ralphs ushers are a lot more... invasive, than the ones at the Alerus. It seems like they try to limit the students much more than they should. I am a sophomore, and it is my understanding that the Students were once able to stand in the lower deck and would be allowed more freedom to heckle the players in the penalty box. I think the new student incentives for prior to the game will help. But as too what else can be done, Im not 100% sure.

I would agree with the assessment at football.  As a student with a longer track record and has gone through the Mussman era and seen first hand how we once went from a packed 12,000 Alerus to nearly "5,000" against UNC.  You are not far off as to how far football has fallen in the "respect" category here at UND.  Now, I see that this perception is slowing beginning to change.  Beating Montana last week would have improved that image 10 fold but it is what it is.  To me, respectability is competing for Big Sky titles and making deep runs in the playoffs.  Once we start getting teams to that level again, more will come. This year at the very least the students who show up to the games, tend to stay a lot longer than they did the past 2 years. 

Alerus security has gotten a lot better, they used to rag on us for every little thing.  Not so much anymore. 

• Upvote 1

My points were supported by NoDakFan. Make it first come first serve and the students intermingled with the "private" lot. Make the students part of the game. It is their University just as much as it is any of ours. In fact one could make the argument that it is more about them than anyone else.

Bubba is doing the right type of thing by reaching out to the students personally. Having the athletes thank people personally. When you make a connection with somebody it makes it personal and people tend to be more loyal.

Obviously the continued improvement of the team helps tremendously. More so than any of the previously mentioned items.

• Upvote 1

Comments above reiterate a central message that I have too mentioned: UND football needs to regain respectability.

For those who speak about "their time" and how it was in past eras, one must realize UND football has really been a joke since 2009 when UND lost to Sioux Falls and NDSU started making playoff runs. Once UND starts winning again, then word will spread among college kids, like it usually does, that UND football is "good" and worth watching and supporting.

• Upvote 3

My points were supported by NoDakFan. Make it first come first serve and the students intermingled with the "private" lot. Make the students part of the game. It is their University just as much as it is any of ours. In fact one could make the argument that it is more about them than anyone else.

Bubba is doing the right type of thing by reaching out to the students personally. Having the athletes thank people personally. When you make a connection with somebody it makes it personal and people tend to be more loyal.

Obviously the continued improvement of the team helps tremendously. More so than any of the previously mentioned items.

During my 11+ years working on campus in various capacities, I have always adopted the attitude that we are here to help students in their journey from high school graduate to college graduate and help them launch their careers and lives.  If what we are doing doesn't help or hinders students, then we should make some changes.  I think that the Alerus Center, REA and even the athletic department to a certain extent could do better in how students are treated.  Don't believe all the media focus on underage drinking, loud parties and immature behavior that happen on all college campuses to a certain extent.  I enjoy working on campus mainly because of the students (I certainly don't stick around for the office politics!) and 95% of them are a joy to work with and be around.  If we adopt that attitude and stop looking at the student body as an inherent "suspect class", then a lot of these problems will lessen (if not disappear completely).

• Upvote 3

This is a fascinating dynamic in that the general population thinks the student body is also a joke. (relatively speaking of course)

I wonder which stereotype will be broken first and lead the way to solving the other stereotype?

IMO, if the team starts winning and gets back to being respected again,  the students will come back, which will lead to that stereotype being fixed.

Now if 4 years down the road this happens and UND students STILL aren't showing up, then there is a bigger problem at hand and then you can talk about getting rid of some student seating.

Don't blame the consumer for not buying the product or buying it again if the product sucks (through experience or word of mouth). 

• Upvote 2

This is a fascinating dynamic in that the general population thinks the student body is also a joke. (relatively speaking of course)

I wonder which stereotype will be broken first and lead the way to solving the other stereotype?

My guess is students. You get a new batch of FR every year that will only know Bubba ball.

Blame the media.

Its similar to the dilemma we are beginning to see with the Ebola virus... We need to blame the main stream media for something... I've seen two scenarios thrown out there as to for what reason. 1. "The main stream media is covering up the significance of the impact Ebola could have on the US" and 2. "The main stream media is blowing all of this out of proportion. We will never have to worry about Ebola in the US."

• Upvote 1

Concerning students feeling excluded from tailgating, this is taken from UND's vision statement, as part of "Exceptional UND":

"We encourage gathering and the personal interaction of students, faculty, staff, and community members to facilitate idea sharing and develop a sense of community."

I think segregating the students in the tailgate lot negatively correlates to what UND wishes to achieve in building a sense of community between students, faculty, alumni, and the community. Mixing students in with the non-student tailgaters, or by finding a way to cause the two groups to interact more, could be one of the best ways to accomplish this goal of UND's vision.  By creating a better sense of community at tailgating, I believe that a positive synergy will result in a better atmosphere, stronger sense of belonging of both the students and community, a deeper fan-base, and most importantly, students naturally networking with alumni and potential employers.  This last benefit would likely land some students a job - the ultimate goal of the University of North Dakota.  

• Upvote 1

Mine says college girls welcome

With another sign that say "Big Cocks"...not sure how that works in conjuntion with "College Girls Welcome"?  You'll have to fill us in on the results.............

What's your opinion on the thought of decreasing the student section if they aren't going to use it or at least stay for the whole game. (At the Alerus)

At the Alerus? I really dont think it matters if the games aren't selling out to the general public anyways. If there was point that it was selling out and students were gone, Id be in favor of it.

• Upvote 3

Concerning students feeling excluded from tailgating, this is taken from UND's vision statement, as part of "Exceptional UND":

"We encourage gathering and the personal interaction of students, faculty, staff, and community members to facilitate idea sharing and develop a sense of community."

I think segregating the students in the tailgate lot negatively correlates to what UND wishes to achieve in building a sense of community between students, faculty, alumni, and the community. Mixing students in with the non-student tailgaters, or by finding a way to cause the two groups to interact more, could be one of the best ways to accomplish this goal of UND's vision.  By creating a better sense of community at tailgating, I believe that a positive synergy will result in a better atmosphere, stronger sense of belonging of both the students and community, a deeper fan-base, and most importantly, students naturally networking with alumni and potential employers.  This last benefit would likely land some students a job - the ultimate goal of the University of North Dakota.  

This really isn't an easy solution.  The students tailgating lot is right next to the reserved lot.  Changing it you have two options:

1)Reserve the students some spots in the middle of the tailgating lots

2)Let it be first come, first serve

Problems with these:

1)I'm next to the student lots, unless its nice out, there isn't a large turnout (going off pass results).  You now have big holes spread throughout the main lot that may or may not be filled. 

2)Again, as someone who is next to the students, they typically don't show up early and certainly not within a few hours of when the lots open.  When they do show up, they will still be in the back.

Would changing the rules have some effect on the issues?  I'd lean to probably not all that much. 

Again, tailgating isn't perfect and it definitely isn't an issue that is just the students fault.  There are quite a few spots that it seems like people have purchased to have reserved parking or only use for a couple of games.  Hopefully the mindset on that will change as the team continues to improve.  While it isn't necessarily a fix, I'll second what CMSioux said: If the students walk around, they will be welcomed with food and whatever beverage is legal for them to consume.

The students are given a pretty big size lot to tailgate in.  They can get reserved spots.  That's a pretty sweet deal.  I have a reserved spot that it right next to the student lot.  Do I feel excluded from the rest of the big rigs up closer to the building?  No.  Because if I want to go up to Tailgate Village, or mingle with the other tailgaters, I walk up there.  I see the point being not by everyone else.  But you still have the option to roam around.  That's the best part about tailgating.  Interacting with fellow fans.  Heck, most of the time they will hook you up with food or an adult beverage if you are of age!! 

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

The students are given a pretty big size lot to tailgate in. They can get reserved spots. That's a pretty sweet deal. I have a reserved spot that it right next to the student lot. Do I feel excluded from the rest of the big rigs up closer to the building? No. Because if I want to go up to Tailgate Village, or mingle with the other tailgaters, I walk up there. I see the point being not by everyone else. But you still have the option to roam around. That's the best part about tailgating. Interacting with fellow fans. Heck, most of the time they will hook you up with food or an adult beverage if you are of age!!

Good grief, back in my day, I was happy to get a student pass once a semester that allowed me to watch football, basketball, and hockey. Now, UND apparently needs to give every student attending a game $50 in spending money, a t-shirt, and an iPhone 6 just to get some 18-22 year olds in the stands?