Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
cberkas

College Hockey Expansion

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

100% chance they announce it this spring, IMO.  With the amount of work they have put into the new arena project and the outspokenness of their AD or President since the NHL sponsored study, I can't see this not happening.  And the more teams the better.  Tons of parity in college hockey, and maybe more teams can help UND separate themselves from the pack again, as talent gets diluted across more teams.

The writing is certainly on the wall. As an IL resident though I dont know how they can justify the costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

The writing is certainly on the wall. As an IL resident though I dont know how they can justify the costs. 

It's other peoples money!

At least hockey does have the potential to be profitable.  Penn State has booked a profit every year since their programs inception http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-hockey-with-five-years-at-pegula-on-the-books-program-continues-to-turn-profit,1479245/.  Don't know much about Champaign, but it seems like the arena complex will be good for downtown, and the general community will benefit from 2 additional ice sheets and a hotel and anything else that is included in the plans.  That said, I don't have any idea how much money taxpayers would be pumping into this.  I think probably have a similar line of thought when it comes to funding projects like this with taxpayer money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

At least hockey does have the potential to be profitable.  Penn State has booked a profit every year since their programs inception 

But...Penn State got a rink for free. And, iirc, an endowment to pay the ongoing costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U Penn is having its old arena upgraded to have youth teams play year round, courtesy of the Flyers owners.

https://www.philly.com/business/snider-hockey-partners-upenn-grow-youth-program-rink-million-20190222.html

The Ivy League doesn’t officially offer hockey now, as the ECAC does instead, but Penn restarting a program would be feasible with their massive endowment of nearly $14 billion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 3:48 PM, nodak651 said:

It's other peoples money!

At least hockey does have the potential to be profitable.  Penn State has booked a profit every year since their programs inception http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-hockey-with-five-years-at-pegula-on-the-books-program-continues-to-turn-profit,1479245/.  Don't know much about Champaign, but it seems like the arena complex will be good for downtown, and the general community will benefit from 2 additional ice sheets and a hotel and anything else that is included in the plans.  That said, I don't have any idea how much money taxpayers would be pumping into this.  I think probably have a similar line of thought when it comes to funding projects like this with taxpayer money. 

I could be wrong on this take, but Penn St also has a football program that can darn near finance the rest of their athletic department. Illinois does not have that and their basketball program being down doesn't help either.

I still think there is a good chance it happens for Illinois, but I'm not sure it's as much of a slam dunk as Penn St was.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, HockeyFan31 said:

I could be wrong on this take, but Penn St also has a football program that can darn near finance the rest of their athletic department. Illinois does not have that and their basketball program being down doesn't help either.

I still think there is a good chance it happens for Illinois, but I'm not sure it's as much of a slam dunk as Penn St was.

Pfft.  The check the Big Ten cuts Illinois is for the same amount as the one they cut Penn State.  The media rights check from the conference office is over $50 million per Big Ten team now.  There isn't a single BIG athletic program who can use the "we can't afford it" excuse when it comes to hockey.  They can ALL afford it, it's whether they want to do it or not.

Somebody get all over Iowa's butt next.  There is a brand new 7,000 seat ice arena going up in Coralville/IC.  No excuse for Iowa to not have a program too.  

Nebraska as well.  Pinnacle Bank Arena is ice ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Pfft.  The check the Big Ten cuts Illinois is for the same amount as the one they cut Penn State.  The media rights check from the conference office is over $50 million per Big Ten team now.  There isn't a single BIG athletic program who can use the "we can't afford it" excuse when it comes to hockey.  They can ALL afford it, it's whether they want to do it or not.

Somebody get all over Iowa's butt next.  There is a brand new 7,000 seat ice arena going up in Coralville/IC.  No excuse for Iowa to not have a program too.  

Nebraska as well.  Pinnacle Bank Arena is ice ready.

They also have a practice sheet right there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more B1G schools (and PAC12 down the road) that have a D1 college hockey program, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Pfft.  The check the Big Ten cuts Illinois is for the same amount as the one they cut Penn State.  The media rights check from the conference office is over $50 million per Big Ten team now.  There isn't a single BIG athletic program who can use the "we can't afford it" excuse when it comes to hockey.  They can ALL afford it, it's whether they want to do it or not.

Somebody get all over Iowa's butt next.  There is a brand new 7,000 seat ice arena going up in Coralville/IC.  No excuse for Iowa to not have a program too.  

Nebraska as well.  Pinnacle Bank Arena is ice ready.

Fair points.

I have also always thought Nebraska would be one of the next from the B1G to make the hockey jump with their arena situation and, again, a football program that can basically fund their entire athletic department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×