SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3: UND @ Missouri St. Bears

homer

One other thing, since we went down hill considerably during the second half, it's apparent that MSU made some serious adjustments that worked and Bubba didn't.  

Also, will Bubba announce a QB change or wait until the last minute to keep SB in suspense?   And yes, I he'd better be changing QB's, Mollberg isn't up to snuff.

How long was the defense on the field in the first half?   With the offense doing nothing, my guess is the D got tired in the second half.

From today's GF Herald:

“We’ll take a look,” Schweigert said of the starting quarterback position. “Going into the fourth, we wanted to give Ryan a shot. Joe would like to take some throws back and missed some opportunities there ... but Joe’s our starting quarterback.”

So he'll look at the position, but Joe's the starting QB.

At this point it seems all they need is a guy to complete a few passes in short and intermediate routes. Last year Bartels could do that, did he digress?

Bubba..."I'm not concerned with the scoreboard". You better be pretty soon...the casual fan who might come to a UND home game isn't looking at the #daybyday crap. They, me included, want to see something that remotely resembles a competitive FB team...in all 3 phases not just one phase like last night. I'm not a continued season ticket holder to hear the 7-8 year old rec soccer mantra of "not concerned with the scoreboard" BS. The Alerus will be bare for the BS games if this mentality doesn't change.

Someone cue the Herm Edwards video footage please!!!

Totally agree with you.  I was thinking the same thing.  It is fine and probably necessary for bubba to believe that, but he CANNOT continue to go around publicly saying that.

The marketing department must be pulling their hair out reading those quotes.

Right now, given only 3 games, I'd say the defense is already where it needs to be in order for UND to go .500 this season. However, the offense has been way worse than I thought it would be. Heck, I think anyone saying they thought the offense would be this bad is fooling themselves. If UND can get some type of running game going, then they'll be able to complete PA passes with either Joe Mollberg or Ryan Bartles. Right now, there is no running game so the team will have to institute a short passing game for the time being. I think Bartles may be better suited for that.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying the defense was on the field too much.  This is a myth.  TOP was evenly split between the two teams.

Given the MSU domination in the 2nd half, I think the difference is the adjustments the teams made at halftime.  This was an evenly played game at half and was broken open after that.

We all love bubba but there is also the possibility he got outcoached here as well.

From today's GF Herald:

“We’ll take a look,” Schweigert said of the starting quarterback position. “Going into the fourth, we wanted to give Ryan a shot. Joe would like to take some throws back and missed some opportunities there ... but Joe’s our starting quarterback.”

So he'll look at the position, but Joe's the starting QB.

Wow - Molberg goes 9-24 for 70 yards and throws 2 picks and Bartles can't get a start.  Unbelievable.  Molberg has shown exactly nothing in any of his starts last year or this year to indicate he's the guy.  Might as well tell Bartles "hey, kid, you're never going to start".  I thought everyone had a chance with Bubba.  

Wow - Molberg goes 9-24 for 70 yards and throws 2 picks and Bartles can't get a start.  Unbelievable.  Molberg has shown exactly nothing in any of his starts last year or this year to indicate he's the guy.  Might as well tell Bartles "hey, kid, you're never going to start".  I thought everyone had a chance with Bubba.  

We should probably cut bubba some slack on those comments.  He's on the spot in a post game interview and hasn't had a chance to grade film.

However, if he doesn't end up making a change and I'm Bartels, I start looking to transfer because it becomes clear that despite how bad Joe is I'm not gonna get a chance to start. 

Tough to see bubba taking that approach for a linebacker that is stinking out the joint.

We should probably cut bubba some slack on those comments. He's on the spot in a post game interview and hasn't had a chance to grade film.

However, if he doesn't end up making a change and I'm Bartels, I start looking to transfer because it becomes clear that despite how bad Joe is I'm not gonna get a chance to start.

Tough to see bubba taking that approach for a linebacker that is stinking out the joint.

Speaking of linebackers how good is Will Rattelle. He's on pace for a serious season.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying the defense was on the field too much. This is a myth. TOP was evenly split between the two teams.

Given the MSU domination in the 2nd half, I think the difference is the adjustments the teams made at halftime. This was an evenly played game at half and was broken open after that.

We all love bubba but there is also the possibility he got outcoached here as well.

The adjustment we needed to make was to have a qb that can complete a pass or two. The d had a very good first half giving up only 7 points. They can only hold it down for so long, eventually the offense needs to help out.

Wow - Molberg goes 9-24 for 70 yards and throws 2 picks and Bartles can't get a start. Unbelievable. Molberg has shown exactly nothing in any of his starts last year or this year to indicate he's the guy. Might as well tell Bartles "hey, kid, you're never going to start". I thought everyone had a chance with Bubba.

Bartles is not good. Did you see those scuds he threw yesterday? Plus he cannot run at all. I guess neither of them are the answer.

The adjustment we needed to make was to have a qb that can complete a pass or two. The d had a very good first half giving up only 7 points. They can only hold it down for so long, eventually the offense needs to help out.

Agreed with your premise - however, we had another QB on the bench who should have been in at the half.  That would have been the adjustment you are refering to.  I'm not saying Bartles would have lit up the place - he didn't when he finally got in, but it was mop-up duty then.  However, we needed to try something and came out with more of the same.  

Agreed with your premise - however, we had another QB on the bench who should have been in at the half. That would have been the adjustment you are refering to. I'm not saying Bartles would have lit up the place - he didn't when he finally got in, but it was mop-up duty then. However, we needed to try something and came out with more of the same.

I agree that they should have yanked Mollberg but maybe just maybe they have that little faith in Bartels. In that case something needs to happen to fix the qb situation. Palendech should not have left.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying the defense was on the field too much. This is a myth. TOP was evenly split between the two teams.

Given the MSU domination in the 2nd half, I think the difference is the adjustments the teams made at halftime. This was an evenly played game at half and was broken open after that.

Time of possession was even but did you look at total yards!?! The offense lost the game - that's common sense. The defense was on the field too much given the turnovers they forced. Don't say that's a myth; use some common sense. And why are you trying to throw Bubba and his staff under the bus after only 3 games? UND going 1-2 after 3 games is exactly what most thought would happen going into this season. If UND can play better at home and go 2-2, UND will be on track if improvement is seen on offense. 6-6 would be unreal given the talent on this team - I still expect the team to work towards that. Need more offensive rhythm.

Didn't see the game but saw RMU and SJSU games and one thing that I can't seem to figure out is why the OC isn't trying to help things out on offense by using his mobile QB as an actual mobile QB. The appeal of Mollberg is that he can do it with his feet as opposed to Bartels who is completely stationary. So why not start instituting some basic offensive concepts when you have a weak line, i.e. roll-outs, bootlegs, and options. This offensive line simply cannot hold a pocket, so the QB has no time to throw and is forcing things. So move the pocket, or at least make it so that the defense has to actually work instead of just continually putting the offense in situations it cannot win. 

Not impressed by Rudolph at all. Through three games there has been no improvement from the offense. Defense is coming around and really held out for as long as it could yesterday. Offense needs a complete makeover right now and schematically things can be done to help. Instead they are pounding their head against the same wall. 

• Upvote 3

I'm not impressed with Milberg because of the turnovers.  But I'm sure he will be starting. If Joe is pulled that will mean he will be viewed as a backup the rest of his career barring injury to his replacement.  I think Bartels would have fewer turnovers but not my decision.

I like using Norbert in the backfield.  We can use his talent and size.

Defense impressing and can win us a few game when the offense doesn't turn it over.

Look forward to improvement sat against Stone brook.

I'm not impressed with Milberg because of the turnovers. But I'm sure he will be starting. If Joe is pulled that will mean he will be viewed as a backup the rest of his career barring injury to his replacement. I think Bartels would have fewer turnovers but not my decision.

I like using Norbert in the backfield. We can use his talent and size.

Defense impressing and can win us a few game when the offense doesn't turn it over.

Look forward to improvement sat against Stone brook.

I think the game vs Stony Brook will be close and is winnable. With a decent crowd/crowd noise and a solid defense, the offense won't have to score a bunch to win.

Didn't see the game but saw RMU and SJSU games and one thing that I can't seem to figure out is why the OC isn't trying to help things out on offense by using his mobile QB as an actual mobile QB. The appeal of Mollberg is that he can do it with his feet as opposed to Bartels who is completely stationary. So why not start instituting some basic offensive concepts when you have a weak line, i.e. roll-outs, bootlegs, and options. This offensive line simply cannot hold a pocket, so the QB has no time to throw and is forcing things. So move the pocket, or at least make it so that the defense has to actually work instead of just continually putting the offense in situations it cannot win.

Not impressed by Rudolph at all. Through three games there has been no improvement from the offense. Defense is coming around and really held out for as long as it could yesterday. Offense needs a complete makeover right now and schematically things can be done to help. Instead they are pounding their head against the same wall.

They can move the pocket all they want but at the end of the day Mollberg needs to complete a throw.

These are Mussman's recruits, thus the lack of discipline.  It takes longer than spring practice, fall practice and three games to fix something like that.  I think Bubba's recruits will be kids that are disciplined players to begin with.  That is when you see a big difference.

I have to ask---so what happened to all of the great recruits I read about the Muss was getting?  I am not asking that to bust balls. Serious question.

I have to ask---so what happened to all of the great recruits I read about the Muss was getting?  I am not asking that to bust balls. Serious question.

I think people bought into all those stupid "fist bumps" the coaches talked about when they got a verbal commitment.  I also think part of it is that after a bad transition, we all were looking for some silver lining because if you don't do that, you start to get discouraged and lose interest as a fan.

Basically, Muss and his staff focused too much on athleticism and not enough on discipline and character.  All those disco rehearsals on our sideline last year when we were down by 40 points made me want to throw up! :angry: