SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3: UND @ Missouri St. Bears

homer

Just give the coaches time. I wasn't able to watch but the defense sounded like they played really well especially considering Hinojosa was out. You can't win many games with a qb that can at least manage the game.

For anyone who watched, how did the lines do? Was Mollberg under pressure or was he just awful on his own?

Just give the coaches time. I wasn't able to watch but the defense sounded like they played really well especially considering Hinojosa was out. You can't win many games with a qb that can at least manage the game.

For anyone who watched, how did the lines do? Was Mollberg under pressure or was he just awful on his own?

He got some pressure all right, but in my opinion the turnovers were preventable.  Like someone said last game, the guy is a turnover machine.  The speed of the college game seems to be too much for him.  I'm sure he can zip the passes in during practice, but in a live game the reads, reacting to pocket pressure, the quick decisions all seem to be just a little more than he can handle.  

I agree that the coaches need more time, but for many of us fans the coaches talk about steady improvement didn't lead us to believe that we'd be here after 3 games.  Still lots of mental mistakes and poorly timed penalties and turnovers.  Special teams were brutal.  Although we have a lack of talent, we should expect more in some aspects of the game than we saw here.  

Just got back from Springfield for the Mo. State game.  Sold out, so had to buy a standing room only ticket; over 18,000 at the game.  Nicely updated stadium with seating right up close to the field. Great college football atmosphere on a beautiful evening.

Defense played a great first half, not allowing any points until the last minute of the second quarter. Pretty impressive half, actually (defensively).  In the second half, the defense wore down and finally succumbed to our continued turnovers.  The offense couldn't get anything done; besides the turnovers, what especially hurt was not being able to capitalize on the takeaways produced by the defense.  Dropped passes, again, didn't help, either.  Gave up some big pass plays in the second half, but overall I was encouraged by the play of our defense.  Nor sure how many yards Shaugabay had, but he worked for every one of them and I was glad to see him finally get a chance.

Just got back from Springfield for the Mo. State game.  Sold out, so had to buy a standing room only ticket; over 18,000 at the game.  Nicely updated stadium with seating right up close to the field. Great college football atmosphere on a beautiful evening.

Defense played a great first half, not allowing any points until the last minute of the second quarter. Pretty impressive half, actually (defensively).  In the second half, the defense wore down and finally succumbed to our continued turnovers.  The offense couldn't get anything done; besides the turnovers, what especially hurt was not being able to capitalize on the takeaways produced by the defense.  Dropped passes, again, didn't help, either.  Gave up some big pass plays in the second half, but overall I was encouraged by the play of our defense.  Nor sure how many yards Shaugabay had, but he worked for every one of them and I was glad to see him finally get a chance.

My brother went...in a word from him: "Wow"!  Said he couldn't believe how incompetent the offense was and how stupidly the special teams played.  Also said there was no doubt we were the school from ND...little team speed compared to MSU.  I warned him UND was not very good..."but I didn't think they would be that bad".

As far as offensively doing a scheme that is a 180 from Muss, IMO one still has to try to intergrate the skill you have to be somewhat successful. Right now it seems Bubba is trying to completely shove a square peg in a round hole with the offense. Or like someone said earlier maybe the cupboard is so bare talent wise it really wouldn't matter the offensive scheme at this point.

I will say this again...from what I saw vs RM and listened to last night on radio at least the defense is already better than anything Muss ran out there in his era.

And since I'm on a roll...IMO the demise of this program really took shape with that come from behind win vs. USD in 2011.  That sealed a contract extention for Muss from BF which allowed Muss to bury this program for another 2 years.  IMO Muss wasn't the right guy for the job after his 2nd season, but to go 8-3 in 2011 against that weak schedule with a marginal FB team at best was the nail in the coffin.

Bubba..."I'm not concerned with the scoreboard". You better be pretty soon...the casual fan who might come to a UND home game isn't looking at the #daybyday crap. They, me included, want to see something that remotely resembles a competitive FB team...in all 3 phases not just one phase like last night. I'm not a continued season ticket holder to hear the 7-8 year old rec soccer mantra of "not concerned with the scoreboard" BS. The Alerus will be bare for the BS games if this mentality doesn't change.

Someone cue the Herm Edwards video footage please!!!

Through three games, I am encouraged overall by the play of the defense. They have given up chunks here and there, but for the most part they have tackled better, given better effort, been more aggressive, and been more opportunistic.

Given the lack of talent on the offensive side, I am not all that surprised with how bad they have been. I will subscribe to the notion that the personnel is not meshing with the scheme they want to implement, particularly the offensive line. And Mollberg is not getting it done. I understand that a big part of his struggles stems from the poor play of the O-Line, but on top of that it seems he is just really struggling with the mental part of the game right now. I wouldn't be so quick to make a change if we didn't already know there is a guy behind him that played better last season. This wasn't just Mollbergs third start, it was like his 8th or something. The sample size is pretty large at this point and it doesn't look good to me.

So far this year I am most disappointed with poorly this team is doing the little things. I really thought that would be the area we improved at right away, that this new staff would clean up in a hurry. The penalties this team is taking are ridiculous, like the ones we took on if I recall correctly, on back to back possessions when we punted and didn't give the guy room to catch the ball twice. The way Tillman fielded punts in the first half last night was ridiculous.

Through three games, I am encouraged overall by the play of the defense. They have given up chunks here and there, but for the most part they have tackled better, given better effort, been more aggressive, and been more opportunistic.

Given the lack of talent on the offensive side, I am not all that surprised with how bad they have been. I will subscribe to the notion that the personnel is not meshing with the scheme they want to implement, particularly the offensive line. And Mollberg is not getting it done. I understand that a big part of his struggles stems from the poor play of the O-Line, but on top of that it seems he is just really struggling with the mental part of the game right now. I wouldn't be so quick to make a change if we didn't already know there is a guy behind him that played better last season. This wasn't just Mollbergs third start, it was like his 8th or something. The sample size is pretty large at this point and it doesn't look good to me.

So far this year I am most disappointed with poorly this team is doing the little things. I really thought that would be the area we improved at right away, that this new staff would clean up in a hurry. The penalties this team is taking are ridiculous, like the ones we took on if I recall correctly, on back to back possessions when we punted and didn't give the guy room to catch the ball twice. The way Tillman fielded punts in the first half last night was ridiculous.

I think anyone with a realistic thought realized the offense would be poor, but not this horrific. The offense couldn't put points on the board despite several short fields given to them by the defense. The offense is absolutely abysmal. Obviously more talent is needed, but the strategy needs to be adjusted a bit too (cueing Paul Rudolph).

Anyone see how Bobby Mo University did yesterday? They lost 50-3. Only 4 first downs, 42 yds rushing, and 108 total yds. Granted they were playing a power program from the Patriot League...Lafeyette. (Sarcasm inserted) :/

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/gamecast?gameId=400558483&version=mobile

Kind of puts last weeks win in perspective...

Right now, without any additional in-season improvement, UND will likely go 1-11 or 2-10.

Everyone needs to hang their hat on the fact that Bubba can recruit, because that's the only thing that can save this program right now. Albeit the defense does look improved at least. Gonna be a couple years before Bubba's recruits change UND football.

I am still trying to figure out why people on the board didn't expect this.  You cannot completely change the culture of a football program overnight.  A lot of position are not what they need to be and in some cases we are so overmatched at certain positions it is a fast fix.  You need at least 5 good O lineman to run the ball consistently along with a good RB or 3.  We don't have any of this and on top of that our QB play is horrible.   The defense has gotten better and I think will continue to improve but the offense is going to take another year or two at least because lineman don't typically come in as studs, they need to be developed.  As bad as we are, the run game is better than last season and the pass game is worse but that wasn't great last year either because of inconsistent QB play.  We lost our top 3 WR's so it's pretty thin at WR as well which was pretty much the only reason we could pass last season.  I mentioned this earlier but I hope Studsrud is the guy because at this point if he isn't they better bring in 3 to 5 QB's in the next recruiting class because it is a glaring issue.   

• Upvote 3

I didn't expect have a winning season this year, or even get to four or five wins. I agree the defense is getting better. The frustrating thing for me is the penalties and mental mistakes. To me, that's coaching. Whether it's fielding punts inside the five yard line, throwing into double/triple coverage instead of throwing the ball away, or the inopportune penalties., etc. Those are all coaching. Granted it's only three games, but it's the same stuff we saw the last few years. It's very frustrating to say the least...

We need to find an FBS QB and some tall wrs. It reminds me of the year before Golladay came to campus. A bunch of short wrs that were all quick but needed a compliment in taller type wrs.

UND needs a lot more than an "FBS QB and tall WRs". They need offensive linemen, defensive linemen, defensive backs and running backs, also. I do agree that quarterback and wide receiver are also issue positions. Just need to hope Bubba's next couple recruiting classes are home runs.

UND needs a lot more than an "FBS QB and tall WRs". They need offensive linemen, defensive linemen, defensive backs and running backs, also. I do agree that quarterback and wide receiver are also issue positions. Just need to hope Bubba's next couple recruiting classes are home runs.

Those are the two killers right now though. I have no doubt that our trench play will improve but we need playmakers to balance with a running game and finish drives with a tds.

One other thing, since we went down hill considerably during the second half, it's apparent that MSU made some serious adjustments that worked and Bubba didn't.  

Also, will Bubba announce a QB change or wait until the last minute to keep SB in suspense?   And yes, I he'd better be changing QB's, Mollberg isn't up to snuff.

One other thing, since we went down hill considerably during the second half, it's apparent that MSU made some serious adjustments that worked and Bubba didn't.

Also, will Bubba announce a QB change or wait until the last minute to keep SB in suspense? And yes, I he'd better be changing QB's, Mollberg isn't up to snuff.

From today's GF Herald:

“We’ll take a look,” Schweigert said of the starting quarterback position. “Going into the fourth, we wanted to give Ryan a shot. Joe would like to take some throws back and missed some opportunities there ... but Joe’s our starting quarterback.”

So he'll look at the position, but Joe's the starting QB.