SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3: UND @ Missouri St. Bears

homer

And Weber St. looks better this year. Yeah, it ain't looking good, is it?

If I could've "bolded" the word potential from my phone I would've. Right now I'm not sure I see another win on the schedule. Granted I'm a bit down on the team after tonight's performance. But based on what I saw last week and what I heard tonight, I don't think it's too far fetched.

How could that be possible if UND holds the all-time head-to-head record advantage by around 17 games? not sure the exact number. And holds the advantage since the inception of the Nickel? hmmm just doesn't add up

Ndsu was bad.... Once upon a time. Ndsu held the nickel advantage for a year or two I think.

Not that it's overly significant. UND is in a bad place right now. Getting beat down like that is never fun.

What I have a hard time understanding, is that the VAST majority of the time from the 1960's on there has been one dominant football team in ND, and that is NDSU. It is very much like K St.

You are comparing NDSU domination of the state of North Dakota to Kansas State's "domination" of the state of Kansas? Please do some homework first.

Kansas is 65-41-5 or 64-42-5 against Kansas State University all-time, depending on whose record book you believe regarding the disputed 1980 game.

KSU's rise to power coincided with the hiring of Bill Snyder in 1988. Starting in 1993, KSU won 11 straight games in the series, which is no doubt what you are basing that perceived Wildcat "dominance" on. In the 10 years since then, KSU is only 6-4 against Kansas.

The 2007 Jayhawks went 12-1 and defeated Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, finishing the season ranked #7. The 2008 team humiliated Kansas State in Lawrence 52-21. The "domination" isn't quite what you think it is...

You are comparing NDSU domination of the state of North Dakota to Kansas State's "domination" of the state of Kansas? Please do some homework first.

Kansas is 65-41-5 or 64-42-5 against Kansas State University all-time, depending on whose record book you believe regarding the disputed 1980 game.

KSU's rise to power coincided with the hiring of Bill Snyder in 1988. Starting in 1993, KSU won 11 straight games in the series, which is no doubt what you are basing that perceived Wildcat "dominance" on. In the 10 years since then, KSU is only 6-4 against Kansas.

Without Snyder, Kansas State has never been more than an FCS team.

Snyder saved KSU from being evicted from the Big 12.  KSU basketball has always been decent, but hardly world beaters.

Without Snyder, Kansas State has never been more than an FCS team.

Snyder saved KSU from being evicted from the Big 12. KSU basketball has always been decent, but hardly world beaters.

The interesting thing about the Kansas/Kansas State comparison is that it all boils down to a good coaching hire. Kansas hired Mark Mangino and the team improved - significantly. Mangino was fired (not because of his record) and the coaches hired since then have been a disaster: Turner Gill and Charlie Weis. Snyder retired at KSU after the 2005 season and Ron Prince ran the ship into the ground before Snyder was coaxed out of retirement in 2009. The right coaching hire...or the wrong one...can change the culture pretty quickly.

The good thing for next week is that Stony Brook doesn't have any offense either.  They are 1-2 with losses to UConn and Bryant, and a 20-3 win over American International, a DII team.  We can be in the game this week, but it would help if the offense can generate maybe two drives.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/sbf/

Or maybe the defense scores twice... Just a thought.

The interesting thing about the Kansas/Kansas State comparison is that it all boils down to a good coaching hire. Kansas hired Mark Mangino and the team improved - significantly. Mangino was fired (not because of his record) and the coaches hired since then have been a disaster: Turner Gill and Charlie Weis. Snyder retired at KSU after the 2005 season and Ron Prince ran the ship into the ground before Snyder was coaxed out of retirement in 2009. The right coaching hire...or the wrong one...can change the culture pretty quickly.

Mangino was the first coach at Kansas to have a winning record since J.V. Sikes in 1953. That's 49 years of decline and 9 coaches that had loosing seasons until Mangino came along. V.J. Sikes was fired after one 2-8 season at Kansas, his record at Kansas was 35-25 Mangino's record was 50-48 while at Kansas.

I put 100% of the blame for the state of this program on Brian Faison.  The man is incompetent.  This is what happens when you take two months to hire a foootball coach because you're a total idiot.  UND should have fired his ass yesterday!

Couldn't agree more - he presided over the great demise of the once proud Sioux football program.  

• Upvote 2

I put 100% of the blame for the state of this program on Brian Faison.  The man is incompetent.  This is what happens when you take two months to hire a foootball coach because you're a total idiot.  UND should have fired his ass yesterday!

Can we blame and fire Lennon too while were at it.   He's the one that so highly recommended Mussman.  

• Upvote 1

Can we blame and fire Lennon too while were at it.   He's the one that so highly recommended Mussman.  

He highly recommended him out of all the candidates willing to coach for 86K a year - in late December during the height of recruiting season.  Lennon left at a terrible time.

He highly recommended him out of all the candidates willing to coach for 86K a year - in late December during the height of recruiting season.  Lennon left at a terrible time.

Lennon left because the university at the time was unwilling to pay him what he was worth because he would have made more than Hakstol.  This university literally sabotaged this program. 

Have you seen SMU's football program lately? June Jones just resigned as coach after an 0-2 start. He had a good thing going in Hawaii...I'm not sure why he left.

Money, facilities, backing...Hawaii's facilities are embarrassing.  They have no money at all.  What he did there was absolutely amazing.

Money, facilities, backing...Hawaii's facilities are embarrassing. They have no money at all. What he did there was absolutely amazing.

I agree that what he did there was amazing - but at his age, Hawaii seemed like a nice place to retire as opposed to taking on a new project at SMU.

Getting back on topic, people have to give Bubba more than 3 games to right the ship. This wasn't going to be an overnight fix-it project.

I agree that what he did there was amazing - but at his age, Hawaii seemed like a nice place to retire as opposed to taking on a new project at SMU.

Getting back on topic, people have to give Bubba more than 3 games to right the ship. This wasn't going to be an overnight fix-it project.

I agree 100%. Did people think we were going to be 3-0 just because we got Bubba? Bubba is not on the field he is on the sidelines with his redshirted recruits while Muss's talented players are on the field not getting things done. It was mentioned before about 1986 RT team was better...only on offense. Kurt Otto, Willis Jaycox, and Tracey Martin that offense was good, defense mimicked Muss's defense. So a lot of rebuilding to do, and when Bubba's players start to filter in people will see a difference. I think we may see some changes in the offense, cause 1/4 of the season gone and the offense hasn't shown any life.