SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

TCU, Baylor, Florida State, Arizona all in. Nightmare scenario for the committee to be sure.

TCU and Baylor would obviously both be in. The argument against Florida State would be that they lost their conference championship game. But since they all of a sudden are 1 of only 3 teams left with one loss (excluding Marshall), they'd have to be in. Arizona would be the "best" two-loss team then?

I wonder what the effect might be on conference "championship games" if somebody is left out of the top four thanks to a loss in such a game and two Big XII schools (in a conference without a championship game) make the top four?

I wonder what the effect might be on conference "championship games" if somebody is left out of the top four thanks to a loss in such a game and two Big XII schools (in a conference without a championship game) make the top four?

Those games make the conferences a lot of money. That's your answer. 

• Upvote 1

Yep.  Also, I'm not a believer in TCU.

If Florida State wasn't defending national champions they would not be in the mix. They would be behind Ohio State and Baylor as well. TCU and Baylor are the co-champions of the Big 12 which turned out to be the toughest conference this season just slightly ahead of the SEC while the ACC was a distant 5th finishing even behind the Big 10.

If Florida State wasn't defending national champions they would not be in the mix. They would be behind Ohio State and Baylor as well. TCU and Baylor are the co-champions of the Big 12 which turned out to be the toughest conference this season just slightly ahead of the SEC while the ACC was a distant 5th finishing even behind the Big 10.

Florida State was skewered for narrowly beating Boston College, right? The same Boston College who beat USC...and USC beat Arizona IN Tucson...the same Arizona who beat Oregon IN Eugene. And Boston College also beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg...the Hokies beat Ohio State in Columbus. But, that happened months ago, so who remembers it anyways?

Florida State was skewered for narrowly beating Boston College, right? The same Boston College who beat USC...and USC beat Arizona IN Tucson...the same Arizona who beat Oregon. And Boston College also beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg...the Hokies beat Ohio State in Columbus. But, that happened months ago, so who remembers it anyways?

I am just saying that Florida State is elevated to where they are currently in large part due to last season. If I was the committee there is no way I leave out an undefeated and defending national champion so I am not saying that. But year to year, teams get a jump start in the rankings and the perception of the committee based upon prior seasons......even though every coach will tell you that every season is different.

I could definitely see Baylor losing to Kansas State this weekend but even if they win if Alabama, Oregon, FSU, TCU, and Ohio State win this weekend I don't think Baylor gets in. Head of the playoff committee Jeff Long said yesterday that TCU has more quality wins and has looked better. TCU has looked very good most of the season and took advantage of having a lot of eyes on them Thursday night in beating Texas pretty soundly while Baylor struggled against Texas Tech this week. If Ohio State wins against Wisconsin I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump into the top 4. I also think it is crazy that Florida State is #4 yeah they have struggled against some teams they maybe should have beat by more but all they have done is won and it isn't like they are playing a bunch of MAC teams.

I could definitely see Baylor losing to Kansas State this weekend but even if they win if Alabama, Oregon, FSU, TCU, and Ohio State win this weekend I don't think Baylor gets in. Head of the playoff committee Jeff Long said yesterday that TCU has more quality wins and has looked better. TCU has looked very good most of the season and took advantage of having a lot of eyes on them Thursday night in beating Texas pretty soundly while Baylor struggled against Texas Tech this week.

Funny that Jeff Long wants to toss out the Texas Tech game as a negative for Baylor yet conveniently overlooks the Bears' 60-14 win over Kansas, a team that went toe-to-toe with TCU just a few weeks ago before losing 34-30.

Don't forget, stud QB Bryce Petty sat on the bench for most of the 2nd half against the Red Raiders.

Funny that Jeff Long wants to toss out the Texas Tech game as a negative for Baylor yet conveniently overlooks the Bears' 60-14 win over Kansas, a team that went toe-to-toe with TCU just a few weeks ago before losing 34-30.

Don't forget, stud QB Bryce Petty sat on the bench for most of the 2nd half against the Red Raiders.

Baylor will carry the Big 12 with a win over KSU on Saturday.  If not, I'm with you...major gripe.   

Looks like Florida will snipe Colorado State coach Jim Mcelwain. Kind of a bummer because it was nice to see them have some success.

I predict these types of things will keep happening to G5 schools and the rift between them and the P5 will keep growing. There eventually will be a split. 

Looks like Florida will snipe Colorado State coach Jim Mcelwain. Kind of a bummer because it was nice to see them have some success.

I predict these types of things will keep happening to G5 schools and the rift between them and the P5 will keep growing. There eventually will be a split. 

Might as well do it now.  Five Division I conferences (FBS P5), five Division II conferences (FBS G5), Division III (FCS), Division IV (D-2) and Division V (D-3).  Scholarships could be as follows: Division I (100), Division II (80), Division III (60), Division IV (40), Division V (0).  Division I and II could each have an 8 team playoff field, Divisions III-V could just keep what they have right now.

Yeah, I know, makes too much sense! :silly:;)

• Upvote 1

Might as well do it now.  Five Division I conferences (FBS P5), five Division II conferences (FBS G5), Division III (FCS), Division IV (D-2) and Division V (D-3).  Scholarships could be as follows: Division I (100), Division II (80), Division III (60), Division IV (40), Division V (0).  Division I and II could each have an 8 team playoff field, Divisions III-V could just keep what they have right now.

Yeah, I know, makes too much sense! :silly:;)

Totally makes sense. The rift will continue to grow until there is a breaking point...G5 schools simply cannot compete with the P5. 

Looks like Florida will snipe Colorado State coach Jim McElwain. Kind of a bummer because it was nice to see them have some success.

That's a hefty buyout, even for a school like Florida.

That surprises me if true.

I'm sure he already regrets signing to coach Arkansas. Never really made sense to me in the first place to leave a good program like Wisconsin for a program that was never, ever, ever, ever going to be a consistently good team in Arkansas. Jumping ship for Nebraska is a good idea for him in my opinion.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-nebraska-seems-locked/

3:40 Update> Chris Low of ESPN spoke with Bret Bielema who says he plans to remain at Arkansas.

Can you say "deflection"?

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast, my friend." 

I'm thinking Bielema is named at NU before the weekend. That may be the only thing that keeps the Kill group in Minnesota.

I'm sure he already regrets signing to coach Arkansas. Never really made sense to me in the first place to leave a good program like Wisconsin for a program that was never, ever, ever, ever going to be a consistently good team in Arkansas. Jumping ship for Nebraska is a good idea for him in my opinion.

??? Are you kidding me?  Arkansas has had some down year post-mallet but I think Arkansas will be a solid team next year.  Their defense is really good and they are returning a decent amount of guys.  Plus I am pretty sure the U of Ark is the best team in Arkansas (could be wrong though if I'm forgetting someone :) )

Additionally, why would he take off from a nice gig in the SEC just when his team is starting to look promising going forward?

??? Are you kidding me? Arkansas has had some down year post-mallet but I think Arkansas will be a solid team next year. Their defense is really good and they are returning a decent amount of guys. Plus I am pretty sure the U of Ark is the best team in Arkansas (could be wrong though if I'm forgetting someone :) )

Additionally, why would he take off from a nice gig in the SEC just when his team is starting to look promising going forward?

Agreed. Still think there's more to the story about why Bielema left Wisconsin. Perhaps St Alvarez and his massive ego got in Bret's way?

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-nebraska-seems-locked/

Can you say "deflection"?

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast, my friend." 

I'm thinking Bielema is named at NU before the weekend. That may be the only thing that keeps the Kill group in Minnesota.

Even if Nebraska wanted Kill I really can't see him leaving Minnesota but it may help him get a raise or more money to facilities. I think Nebraska will end up with Oregon OC Scott Frost as their new head coach.

Agreed. Still think there's more to the story about why Bielema left Wisconsin. Perhaps St Alvarez and his massive ego got in Bret's way?

I think the main reason Bielema left Wisconsin was due to the size of his assistant coaches salary pool and he wasn't able to get any or keep high profile asssitants.