SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

I'm sure those teams would love to basically be dropped down to basically FCS.

I doubt you'll see 3 "Division 1" conferences.

There's is simply no need.

So you really believe that the P5 and G5 schools can co-exist peacefully when the former group has a huge advantage in resources (financial and otherwise) and the latter group will never be able to compete?  Sorry, that situation isn't sustainable.  Just junk the asinine FBS and FCS names and rank schools in 5 Divisions based on resources.  That's how it's going to shake out anyway, might as well embrace it.

OK, Nebraska wants a coach to win "big games," eh?  How's this?

Mike Riley's résumé:

1998:  a 44-41 home win over #15-ranked Oregon, who came into the game with an 8-2 record (Oregon State was 4-6 at the time, finishing 5-6 on the season) 

2006:  33-31 home win over #2-ranked USC, who came into the game 6-0 and wound up 11-2 and Rose Bowl champions).  OSU also beat Oregon and finished 10-4 on the season

2007:  beat #2 ranked Cal in Berkeley 31-28.  Cal had been 5-0 at that point but would go on to lose 5 more games after the OSU loss.  OSU finished 9-4 on the season.

2008:  27-21 home win over #1-ranked USC.  It would be the only loss on the season for the Trojans, who went on to beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl.  OSU came into the USC game at 1-2, but would finish 9-4 on the season.

Looks respectable, especially for Oregon State, but didn't the Cornhuskers just FIRE a coach for losing 3-4 games a season?

OK, Nebraska wants a coach to win "big games," eh? How's this?

Mike Riley's résumé:

1998: a 44-41 home win over #15-ranked Oregon, who came into the game with an 8-2 record (Oregon State was 4-6 at the time, finishing 5-6 on the season)

2006: 33-31 home win over #2-ranked USC, who came into the game 6-0 and wound up 11-2 and Rose Bowl champions). OSU also beat Oregon and finished 10-4 on the season

2007: beat #2 ranked Cal in Berkeley 31-28. Cal had been 5-0 at that point but would go on to lose 5 more games after the OSU loss. OSU finished 9-4 on the season.

2008: 27-21 home win over #1-ranked USC. It would be the only loss on the season for the Trojans, who went on to beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl. OSU came into the USC game at 1-2, but would finish 9-4 on the season.

Looks respectable, especially for Oregon State, but didn't the Cornhuskers just FIRE a coach for losing 3-4 games a season?

He wasn't fired just for his record, in fact it was his attitude that got him fired, his record was the cherry on top. If he was nice to alumni and fans Pelini would still be at NU.

So you really believe that the P5 and G5 schools can co-exist peacefully when the former group has a huge advantage in resources (financial and otherwise) and the latter group will never be able to compete?  Sorry, that situation isn't sustainable.  Just junk the asinine FBS and FCS names and rank schools in 5 Divisions based on resources.  That's how it's going to shake out anyway, might as well embrace it.

It's not like anything is changing. The difference in "resources" have always been massive. You think Georgia Southern and Appalachia State and all the other G5 Schools thought they could "compete" with Alabama and Auburn when they moved up? Probably not. But they did it to just be in that "league" with a shot at playing those teams, getting more scholarships, and having a "chance" to maybe just maybe upset one of those teams one day. Not to mention at least the perception of increase exposure. They knew what they were signing up for. They didn't sign up for it only to go back to FCS and get to be able to see their games scrolled at the bottom of ESPN. They want a shot to play Florida State/TCU in a Bowl Game even if it means losing (NIU).

I'll ask again. What's changed? This talk of splitting FBS is far from new. It's been talked about for over 20 years. I'm still waiting... :whistling:

OK, Nebraska wants a coach to win "big games," eh?  How's this?

Mike Riley's résumé:

1998:  a 44-41 home win over #15-ranked Oregon, who came into the game with an 8-2 record (Oregon State was 4-6 at the time, finishing 5-6 on the season) 

2006:  33-31 home win over #2-ranked USC, who came into the game 6-0 and wound up 11-2 and Rose Bowl champions).  OSU also beat Oregon and finished 10-4 on the season

2007:  beat #2 ranked Cal in Berkeley 31-28.  Cal had been 5-0 at that point but would go on to lose 5 more games after the OSU loss.  OSU finished 9-4 on the season.

2008:  27-21 home win over #1-ranked USC.  It would be the only loss on the season for the Trojans, who went on to beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl.  OSU came into the USC game at 1-2, but would finish 9-4 on the season.

Looks respectable, especially for Oregon State, but didn't the Cornhuskers just FIRE a coach for losing 3-4 games a season?

Is it a case of now you'll win games you weren't "suppose to," and then next week lose to a team you weren't suppose to?

This year OSU lost to Washington State who is 3-9 and then next week beat a 9-3 Arizona State both at home. (Sounds like Bubba vs Weber State and Northern Arizona but it was Bubbas first year not his 14th like Riley)

I wouldn't think Nebraska fans would be happy with that either.

Is it a case of now you'll win games you weren't "suppose to," and then next week lose to a team you weren't suppose to?

This year OSU lost to Washington State who is 3-9 and then next week beat a 9-3 Arizona State both at home.

I don't think Nebraska fans would be happy with that either.

I thought the same thing when looking at some of Riley's past season records..

I thought the same thing when looking at some of Riley's past season records..

Also looking at his past records. How does this guy go from Coach at OSU finishing 10th and 8th in the conference to head coach of an NFL team the next year?

Am I missing something that happened back in the day? Guy must have some pretty good connections.

It's not like anything is changing. The difference in "resources" have always been massive. You think Georgia Southern and Appalachia State and all the other G5 Schools thought they could "compete" with Alabama and Auburn when they moved up? Probably not. But they did it to just be in that "league" with a shot at playing those teams, getting more scholarships, and having a "chance" to maybe just maybe upset one of those teams one day. Not to mention at least the perception of increase exposure. They knew what they were signing up for. They didn't sign up for it only to go back to FCS and get to be able to see their games scrolled at the bottom of ESPN. They want a shot to play Florida State/TCU in a Bowl Game even if it means losing (NIU).

I'll ask again. What's changed? This talk of splitting FBS is far from new. It's been talked about for over 20 years. I'm still waiting... :whistling:

My point is that the day has come.  There is now a clear division between the P5 and G5 schools in FBS.  The P5 schools will likely begin paying stipends to their athletes and the G5 schools won't be able to keep up with that.  Being labeled FBS doesn't make you big-time, which is why UND and NDSU should avoid the tempation to move up under the current format.  This is the "Idaho Syndrome": We aren't FBS caliber, but that is what our alumni and boosters want to hear, so we'll just stick with it and finish 2-9, 1-10 (with the occasional 6-5 season) on a regular basis.

I was just guessing as to how it could be divided up; however it happens, it will happen and schools will have to decide where they belong.

My point is that the day has come.  There is now a clear division between the P5 and G5 schools in FBS.  The P5 schools will likely begin paying stipends to their athletes and the G5 schools won't be able to keep up with that.  Being labeled FBS doesn't make you big-time, which is why UND and NDSU should avoid the tempation to move up under the current format.  This is the "Idaho Syndrome": We aren't FBS caliber, but that is what our alumni and boosters want to hear, so we'll just stick with it and finish 2-9, 1-10 (with the occasional 6-5 season) on a regular basis.

I was just guessing as to how it could be divided up; however it happens, it will happen and schools will have to decide where they belong.

I will bet plenty of G5 schools will pay athletes also. UND is looking to do the same. 

I'll ask again. Why do you think the day has come? If anything it would seem the FBS playoff "expansion" and very likely further expansion in the future is getting G5 teams even more excited to stay FBS. 

I never mentioned being FBS as being "big time" or anything about UND or NDSU.

I'll just keep waiting. Time will tell us who is eventually right. But my guess is it will take a long long time.

I will bet plenty of G5 schools will pay athletes also. UND is looking to do the same.

I'll ask again. Why do you think the day has come? If anything it would seem the FBS playoff "expansion" and very likely further expansion in the future is getting G5 teams even more excited to stay FBS.

I never mentioned being FBS as being "big time" or anything about UND or NDSU.

I'll just keep waiting. Time will tell us who is eventually right. But my guess is it will take a long long time.

They might as well talk about a G5 playoff as those teams will never be in the other playoff.

• Upvote 1

As long as they get started on the new facilities I don't think Kill will leave. I think he really values the loyalty the school showed for sticking by him through his medical issues. I also think a lot of coaches might be kind of hesitant on the Nebraska job since they just fired a coach who won at least 9 games in 7 straight seasons. I don't know who has the expectations of only winning 4 powder puffs and  3 Big 10 games but the Gophers expectations are getting to the Big 10 Championship Kill and the team said it all year and their schedule was tougher this year and will be next year as well. Kill had his team playing for a spot in the Big 10 Championship game the last game of the season this year and the future looks very bright especially if they get started on the new practice facility this spring.

They cancelled out of a home and home with North Carolina because they were too tough and wanted out of the TCU game as well.

Also looking at his past records. How does this guy go from Coach at OSU finishing 10th and 8th in the conference to head coach of an NFL team the next year?

Am I missing something that happened back in the day? Guy must have some pretty good connections.

Corvallis has some of the worst facilities and is probably the toughest place to recruit too of any P5 Conference.

In a poll of the P5 conference football coaches, Riley is rated as the most underrated coach in college football and in a poll of all FBS school coaches he is ranked 2nd.

I was underwhelmed but an starting to warm up to the hire.

Pelini is gone for being a jackass and for having his team unprepared to play too many times. I think he would still have his job even if he went 10-3 or 9-4 every year if he had a personality and lost to Wisconsin 21-17 or 24-20 and didn' routinely have his unprepared teams get half a hundo hung on them.

They cancelled out of a home and home with North Carolina because they were too tough and wanted out of the TCU game as well.

I was upset with getting rid of the North Carolina home and home but they didn't want out of the TCU games and those essentially replaced the North Carolina series. Kill did say it was tough to schedule it because of how close of friends he and Patterson are. They open up with what should be a very highly ranked TCU team on a Thursday night at TCF Bank next year as well.

I was upset with getting rid of the North Carolina home and home but they didn't want out of the TCU games and those essentially replaced the North Carolina series. Kill did say it was tough to schedule it because of how close of friends he and Patterson are. They open up with what should be a very highly ranked TCU team on a Thursday night at TCF Bank next year as well.

I believe the Big 10 strongly suggested they re-evaluate their scheduling practices.

I believe the Big 10 strongly suggested they re-evaluate their scheduling practices.

I believe the TCU games were scheduled not too long after the Big 10 said all their football teams were going to quit playing FCS teams and improve their schedules going forward. I don't know if the conference has changed their stance on not playing FCS teams or what but looking at teams future schedules there are some FCS teams listed.

Pelini is gone for being a jackass and for having his team unprepared to play too many times. I think he would still have his job even if he went 10-3 or 9-4 every year if he had a personality and lost to Wisconsin 21-17 or 24-20 and didn' routinely have his unprepared teams get half a hundo hung on them.

Oh boo hoo! After YEARS of watching Nebraska running up the score on patsies just to try and impress coaches and AP pollsters, Cornhusker fans now want to whine about other teams putting up 50+ on the pinkshirts defense? Cry me a river!

• Upvote 1

Not a bad idea. A "NIT" of sort for football.

But you could say that is sorta what the bowl games are now.

The good old days of 75 bowl games on New Years Day are all gone. The last few years of bowls starting in mid-December and ending around January 10th sucked all the life out of bowl season too.
  • Upvote 1