SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Gotta think Jerry Kill will be on the short list.

I don't think Kill would take it anyway but it could help get shovels in the ground for the new practice facility in Minneapolis sooner. I think he will show loyalty to Minnesota and it isn't very often a head coach changes schools within the same conference. I see a lot of national media saying Nebraska fans better be careful what they are wishing for firing a guy who won 9 games 7 seasons in a row and I agree. I think Oregon OC Scott Frost who has Nebraska ties or Colorado State HC Jim McElwain might be the guy who ends up with the job.

No way. I think Jerry Kill is happy in Minneapolis and likes what he sees in his Gopher program.

I didn't say Kill would be or wouldn't be interested. I pointed out that Nebraska would view him as a candidate, which according to many media reports today, he is viewed as a likely candidate. He may have no interest in leaving MN but I bet Neb likely makes a call to gauge that.

Since Nebraska joined the Big Ten Conference in 2011, the Huskers have the fourth best record, only 1 game behind Sconnie.

1. Ohio State 27-5, 41-10

2. Michigan State 25-7, 41-12

3. Wisconsin 23-9, 38-15

4. Nebraska 22-10, 37-15

5. Michigan 18-14, 31-20

6. Penn State 18-14, 30-19

7. Iowa 15-17, 26-24

8. Minnesota 13-19, 25-25

9. Northwestern 12-20, 26-24

10. Purdue 8-24, 17-33

11. Illinois 6-26, 19-30

12. Indiana 6-26, 14-34

Someone wake up darell1976! This is the greatest day of his life. :)

How long before Michigan 86's Brady Hoke?

Yes!!! That piece of !@#$ deserved to be fired. Especially calling NU fans being fair weathered, when their sellout streak is close to 300 games.

I didn't say Kill would be or wouldn't be interested. I pointed out that Nebraska would view him as a candidate, which according to many media reports today, he is viewed as a likely candidate. He may have no interest in leaving MN but I bet Neb likely makes a call to gauge that.

Duly noted. You're right, Kill will generate some interest from other programs.

Yes!!! That piece of !@#$ deserved to be fired. Especially calling NU fans being fair weathered, when their sellout streak is close to 300 games.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate, darell...we're now in the day and age of canning coaches for going 9-3 in the regular season?

I'm gonna play devil's advocate, darell...we're now in the day and age of canning coaches for going 9-3 in the regular season?

3-3 in bowl games, missing one in 2011, plus since this incident, I have never been a fan of him.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/16/bo-pelini-blasts-criticism-huskers-after-latest-lo/

What year was that?

Nebraska won titles under Bob Devaney in 1970 and 1971.  Tom Osborne became head coach in 1973.  He won his first national championship in 1994.  How long was Bobby Bowden at FSU before winning it all in 1993?  Same situation.  Neither of those guys would last five years at those schools today without a national title.    

I'm no Cornhusker fan, in fact, I'm probably a hater of their football team on a level with Notre Dame.  I just think it's a shame that the game has evolved to the point of make-us-a national-champion-or-you're gone. 

Nebraska won titles under Bob Devaney in 1970 and 1971. Tom Osborne became head coach in 1973. He won his first national championship in 1994. How long was Bobby Bowden at FSU before winning it all in 1993? Same situation. Neither of those guys would last five years at those schools today without a national title.

I'm no Cornhusker fan, in fact, I'm probably a hater of their football team on a level with Notre Dame. I just think it's a shame that the game has evolved to the point of make-us-a national-champion-or-you're gone.

Not once did Osborne or Bowden rip the fans for being "fair weather" and rip on a star alumn for being honest. Pelini was a major asshat and needed to be removed.

• Upvote 1

Not once did Osborne or Bowden rip the fans for being "fair weather" and rip on a star alumn for being honest. Pelini was a major asshat and needed to be removed.

I concede that point.  Would you be in favor of keeping Pelini as head coach had that incident not happened?

Nebraska won titles under Bob Devaney in 1970 and 1971.  Tom Osborne became head coach in 1973.  He won his first national championship in 1994.  How long was Bobby Bowden at FSU before winning it all in 1993?  Same situation.  Neither of those guys would last five years at those schools today without a national title.    

I'm no Cornhusker fan, in fact, I'm probably a hater of their football team on a level with Notre Dame.  I just think it's a shame that the game has evolved to the point of make-us-a national-champion-or-you're gone. 

He was there for 7 years and, like darell1976 said, beat bad teams and lost to good teams.  They likely weren't going to rise any higher than that, so you either make a change or accept winning seasons that end in lower to mid-tier bowl games.  A program with a long history of winning conference titles and contending for national titles like Nebraska isn't going to accept what Pelini accomplished for the long-term.  Do you think Florida should have kept Muschamp around since they finished with a winning record this year, with the potential of doing better next year?  That just isn't how programs with a championship tradition operate.

He was there for 7 years and, like darell1976 said, beat bad teams and lost to good teams.  They likely weren't going to rise any higher than that, so you either make a change or accept winning seasons that end in lower to mid-tier bowl games.  A program with a long history of winning conference titles and contending for national titles like Nebraska isn't going to accept what Pelini accomplished for the long-term.  Do you think Florida should have kept Muschamp around since they finished with a winning record this year, with the potential of doing better next year?  That just isn't how programs with a championship tradition operate.

So you have no problem with the 24 year gap between national championships as long as the team is winning conference titles?  Florida's a different story...

So you have no problem with the 24 year gap between national championships as long as the team is winning conference titles?  Florida's a different story...

The 24 year gap was disconcerting for Husker fans (which I am not one), but unlike with Pelini, Nebraska was in big-time bowl games almost every year and was playing for the national title often.  In the 1990's, they finally broke through and won three consecutive national titles.  After Osborne retired, they slipped out of the upper echelon and really haven't gotten back.  Pelini had 7 years to get his systems and players into place and they just didn't seem like they were moving back into the upper echelon of programs with him in charge.  Nebraska is a program that should be perennial contenders in both the B1G and nationally, so I don't blame the suits in Lincoln for doing what they did.