SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

The good old days of 75 bowl games on New Years Day are all gone. The last few years of bowls starting in mid-December and ending around January 10th sucked all the life out of bowl season too.

Very true. Just can the minor bowls and have G5 playoff.

Oh boo hoo! After YEARS of watching Nebraska running up the score on patsies just to try and impress coaches and AP pollsters, Cornhusker fans now want to whine about other teams putting up 50+ on the pinkshirts defense? Cry me a river!

Ha!

Back in the 80"s and 90's when Nebraska was favored big you would bet on them to cover on the road and not at home since they could only travel with 60 or 65 guys and they were all better than some of the teams they were playing but at home they had a 100+ dressed.

So with the top four teams winning this week (making assumption with FSU), Baylor beating #9 Kansas State, and Ohio State crushing a helpless (one dimensional) Wisconsin. Who are the top four at the end of the season? 

I'd go with 1.Oregon 2.Alabama 3.Florida State 4.Ohio State

What's the argument for OSU jumping TCU though? They beat up on a horribly one-dimensional Wisconsin team that laid an egg? 

I keep seeing an argument about the Big 12 not having a team in the top 4 because they didn't have a conference championship game, but the NCAA doesn't allow a 10 team conference to have a championship game. How is that supposed to be a negative against TCU/Baylor? 

What's the argument for OSU jumping TCU though? They beat up on a horribly one-dimensional Wisconsin team that laid an egg?

I keep seeing an argument about the Big 12 not having a team in the top 4 because they didn't have a conference championship game, but the NCAA doesn't allow a 10 team conference to have a championship game. How is that supposed to be a negative against TCU/Baylor?

I am not impressed with the SEC and Big 10 at all right now. If THAT is the best your conference can put up as an opponent in a championship game, sorry, your conference sucks.

Florida State had to play a Super Bowl every single week. Every. Single. Week.

Alabama...lost at home.

Oregon...lost at home.

Ohio State...lost at home.

I am not impressed with the SEC and Big 10 at all right now. If THAT is the best your conference can put up as an opponent in a championship game, sorry, your conference sucks.

Florida State had to play a Super Bowl every single week. Every. Single. Week.

Alabama...lost at home.

Oregon...lost at home.

Ohio State...lost at home.

Florida State did play a super bowl every week..... That's true. But they haven't played a single great team. You put them in the SEC or PAC12 I think they lost at least one.

Their résumé puts them in. No one should say they don't belong. They won games.... And didn't lose a single one.

I'd go with 1.Oregon 2.Alabama 3.Florida State 4.Ohio State

Yeah. If Ohio State gets in it shows the influence of the Big 10 large media markets and how corrupt the NCAA is. I think this proves they should have started this thing with 8 teams from the get go......Ohio State is good............but there is no getting around losing at home to the 11th best team from the ACC.

Yeah. If Ohio State gets in it shows the influence of the Big 10 large media markets and how corrupt the NCAA is. I think this proves they should have started this thing with 8 teams from the get go......Ohio State is good............but there is no getting around losing at home to the 11th best team from the ACC.

There you have kind of the crux of it. Ohio State lost to a bad Virginia Tech team (at home too). People will argue that it was the OSU quarterback's first game and at the beginning of the season, but that obviously didn't stop them from beating up on Wisconsin. 

As for TCU/Baylor - Baylor won the head to head as TCU just crapped themselves in the 4th quarter. TCU lost to a top 10 team on the road. Baylor lost to West Virginia (unranked) on the road (I believe). If you look at the statistics against common opponents, it appears that TCU was the better team than Baylor. 

The top two spots are Alabama/Oregon. There is little to no debate over that. What I think the next two should be are TCU/FSU. TCU has looked like a top 4 team much of the season except the 4th quarter against Baylor and one slop game on the road at Kansas. FSU is undefeated, and while they haven't looked good getting there, the fact they haven't lost and the resume isn't horrible (Georgia Tech is a decent opponent) means they get the nod over Ohio State and Baylor. 

However, all that said. I think the "playoff" will be:

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. Ohio State

4. Florida State

Due to the Big 10 media bias and the sudden negative that is the missing Big 12 championship game. 

I personally don't think Big media bias will play in at all.  TV numbers will be huge no matter what.  Now onto the debate.  Head to head should matter.  Not to mention that Baylor has a top ten win (against TCU) that TCU doesn't have.  Now I do like the conference assumes TCU is the better team and I think they are, it shouldn't matter.  They lost.

So what about OSU?  Well many college football experts think they get it because the committee doesn't want to decide between Big 12 champs and I don't blame them.  However how about the fact that OSU played this season with a back up qb?  And then played with the back up of a back up?  Obviously they have one hell of a team.

BtW  OSU opponents record is 84-60 while both TCU and Baylor opponents are 61-70.

The biggest mistake was not having an 8 team playoff.  Each P5 school should be sending their champs.  Plus G5 best and then 2 at large.

I personally don't think Big media bias will play in at all.  TV numbers will be huge no matter what.  Now onto the debate.  Head to head should matter.  Not to mention that Baylor has a top ten win (against TCU) that TCU doesn't have.  Now I do like the conference assumes TCU is the better team and I think they are, it shouldn't matter.  They lost.

So what about OSU?  Well many college football experts think they get it because the committee doesn't want to decide between Big 12 champs and I don't blame them.  However how about the fact that OSU played this season with a back up qb?  And then played with the back up of a back up?  Obviously they have one hell of a team.

BtW  OSU opponents record is 84-60 while both TCU and Baylor opponents are 61-70.

The biggest mistake was not having an 8 team playoff.  Each P5 school should be sending their champs.  Plus G5 best and then 2 at large.

Well, I mean...the Big 12 had to play against two good teams.  That is a whole bunch more losses.

Well, I mean...the Big 12 had to play against two good teams.  That is a whole bunch more losses.

Even with two good teams that record discrepancy doesn't quite mesh if you are talking conference quality.

Plus the Big didn't have good teams to go against?  Where would you put Wisconsin in the Big 12? Minnesota? Nebraska? 

In all seriousness the big 12 just happened to have two great teams and a bunch of questionable defenses.  Could any stop the run, because we know they can't stop the pass.

Even with two good teams that record discrepancy doesn't quite mesh if you are talking conference quality.

Plus the Big didn't have good teams to go against?  Where would you put Wisconsin in the Big 12? Minnesota? Nebraska? 

In all seriousness the big 12 just happened to have two great teams and a bunch of questionable defenses.  Could any stop the run, because we know they can't stop the pass.

I know that people are biased since this is the part of the country most of us live in....but

ESPN Stats & Information Conference Power Rankings

Overall Ranking Conference AP Rank FPI Rank Overall Rating   1 Big 12  90.3   2 SEC 90.2   3 Pac-12 83.2   4 Big Ten  69.1   5 ACC  69   6 MW  22.3   7 American  21.7   8 C-USA 18.1   9 Sun Belt 10 14.8   10 MAC 14.7  

Don't shoot the messenger. The Big 10 and ACC are significantly below the other 3 P5 conferences. If FSU wasn't undefeated and the defending champ I wouldn't put them in the final 4 but can they be left out under those circumstances? It would be fine with me if they were since I wouldn't rank them any higher than 6th. So if the best team from the 5th best conference is in, I am sorry but I have a hard time elevating the team from a conference who was barely 4th with a loss on their schedule at home to the 11th best team from the 5th best conference and not having a team from the top conference statistically .

I'd go with 1.Oregon 2.Alabama 3.Florida State 4.Ohio State

This.

No way FSU gets left out as only undefeated FBS team. TCU with Baylor's win doesn't win Big 12 outright and neither get in as the Big 12 is penalized for no championship game...which OSU was impressive in.

#5 IMO is Baylor then TCU at #6.

Bama will roll OSU and FSU will sneak by the Ducks.

The Big 12 shot itself in the foot by not declaring a "champion". Co-champs will kill the chance of either TCU or Baylor getting in.

Baylor beat TCU...but co-champs is warm and fuzzy. Now both will be out.