SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Even if Nebraska wanted Kill I really can't see him leaving Minnesota but it may help him get a raise or more money to facilities. I think Nebraska will end up with Oregon OC Scott Frost as their new head coach.

If Nebraska offered Kill the job, Jerry would be at the airport before Eichorst hung up the phone....3 or 4 times the money in a place that costs 20% less to live. Not to mention the programs. I realize Nebraska isn't what they were in the 90's but the resources and commitment to be are in place, just tougher to get that type of talent to Lincoln these days...but who wouldn't rather coach at a school where winning the Big 10 and competing occasionally for a National title are the goals versus beating 4 powder puffs and then hopefully winning 3 or 4 big 10 games so we can go somewhere warm for bowl season.

Even if Nebraska wanted Kill I really can't see him leaving Minnesota but it may help him get a raise or more money to facilities. I think Nebraska will end up with Oregon OC Scott Frost as their new head coach.

Well, Jerry's not exactly the first coach that comes to mind when you think of coaches that stay in one place for a significant amount of time. And the atmosphere in the state of Nebraska on game day takes a back seat to nearly no other program in the country. The experience would far exceed anything Minnesota could ever dream of. 

That said, Bielema to me is the favorite, maybe due to familiarity more than anything. 

According to the FootballScoop.com report, Nebraska Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst is working from a very short list -- perhaps only one name -- and is not taking calls from other coaches expressing interest. 

Eichorst is well acquainted with Bielema, as he served as Eichorst served as Wisconsins' deputy athletics director under Barry Alvarez from 2009-11.

So, any chance Tressel shows up at Nebraska?? 

There's another guy with an ax to grind. Would also be interesting. Coaches are coaches. Would think being a university president would be pretty stifling for a coach. Especially one with an ego like these "elite" coaches seem to have.

If Nebraska offered Kill the job, Jerry would be at the airport before Eichorst hung up the phone....3 or 4 times the money in a place that costs 20% less to live. Not to mention the programs. I realize Nebraska isn't what they were in the 90's but the resources and commitment to be are in place, just tougher to get that type of talent to Lincoln these days...but who wouldn't rather coach at a school where winning the Big 10 and competing occasionally for a National title are the goals versus beating 4 powder puffs and then hopefully winning 3 or 4 big 10 games so we can go somewhere warm for bowl season

As long as they get started on the new facilities I don't think Kill will leave. I think he really values the loyalty the school showed for sticking by him through his medical issues. I also think a lot of coaches might be kind of hesitant on the Nebraska job since they just fired a coach who won at least 9 games in 7 straight seasons. I don't know who has the expectations of only winning 4 powder puffs and  3 Big 10 games but the Gophers expectations are getting to the Big 10 Championship Kill and the team said it all year and their schedule was tougher this year and will be next year as well. Kill had his team playing for a spot in the Big 10 Championship game the last game of the season this year and the future looks very bright especially if they get started on the new practice facility this spring.

Well, Jerry's not exactly the first coach that comes to mind when you think of coaches that stay in one place for a significant amount of time. And the atmosphere in the state of Nebraska on game day takes a back seat to nearly no other program in the country. The experience would far exceed anything Minnesota could ever dream of. 

That said, Bielema to me is the favorite, maybe due to familiarity more than anything. 

True, but he was always moving up a level in previous jobs and this would be a move to another team in the same division. Nebraska does have significantly more resources but I'm also not sure he would want to deal with the pressure that would come with the job especially after the last coach they had won at least 9 games every year and got fired. Bielema seems like a good fit but I just don't see him leaving Arkansas right now.

I know of two that are pissed already. 

I took a look at one of the Nebraska boards and not many happy about it most are just meh on it but some absolutely hate it. The funny things is some Oregon State fans wanted Riley fired anyway so I guess they kinda got their wish. I really wonder how many coaches said no to Nebraska before they got down to Riley.

??? Are you kidding me?  Arkansas has had some down year post-mallet but I think Arkansas will be a solid team next year.  Their defense is really good and they are returning a decent amount of guys.  Plus I am pretty sure the U of Ark is the best team in Arkansas (could be wrong though if I'm forgetting someone :) )

Additionally, why would he take off from a nice gig in the SEC just when his team is starting to look promising going forward?

I didn't mean in just the state of Arkansas. I meant with Arkansas you have a team that will never be consistently good. They are at best 4th fiddle in their division of their conference. Since 2002 (the furthest back ESPN goes with standings) Arkansas has finished in the top 3 of the SEC west 4 times, finishing first once. Their only conference championship appearance, they lost to Florida. There is no reason to believe that Auburn, LSU, and Alabama won't continue to consistently be better than Arkansas. The outlooks for the future are just as good if not better at A&M, Miss. St., and Ole Miss. Arkansas may have been a desirable job 25 years ago but not anymore. 

Not a poor hire, but not a marked improvement from Bo either.

Riley is 93-80 as a head coach in college.

His Beavers were 5-7 this season.

This hire is puzzling..........unless a few said "thanks but no thanks" when approached.

Riley is 93-80 as a head coach in college.

His Beavers were 5-7 this season.

This hire is puzzling..........unless a few said "thanks but no thanks" when approached.

I just saw a tweet from Tom Dienhart of the Big 10 Network to the effect that "if you can win in Corvallis, you can probably win anywhere". I have no real opinion on the hire, but it seems like a lot of pundits think Riley did a great job at Oregon St.

I didn't mean in just the state of Arkansas. I meant with Arkansas you have a team that will never be consistently good. They are at best 4th fiddle in their division of their conference. Since 2002 (the furthest back ESPN goes with standings) Arkansas has finished in the top 3 of the SEC west 4 times, finishing first once. Their only conference championship appearance, they lost to Florida. There is no reason to believe that Auburn, LSU, and Alabama won't continue to consistently be better than Arkansas. The outlooks for the future are just as good if not better at A&M, Miss. St., and Ole Miss. Arkansas may have been a desirable job 25 years ago but not anymore. 

Tough league, although it gets a ton of media attention and national spotlight games.  Also, Arkansas should be good next year.  Everyone is coming back and he landed some decent recruits.  All it takes is some success.