SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Just to point out how quickly the football landscape can change...let's look at School A:

2000: 3-8 (Coach #1 fired)

2001: 7-5

2002: 10-3 (Coach #2 resigns)

2002-2003: Coach #3 is removed prior to even coaching a single game

2003: 4-9

2004: 6-6

2005: 10-2 (wins later vacated due to NCAA violations)

2006: 6-7 (Coach #4 fired and wins later vacated due to NCAA violations)

At the start of the 2007 season, this school was on its 5th different football coach in 7 years. In his first season at the helm, this coach and team would finish 7-6. The program looks like a hot mess, right?

7 seasons later, this program is now the gold standard for college football and no one can seem to remember when they totally sucked. "School A" is none other than Alabama.

Who are coach 2 and 3?

Who are coach 2 and 3?

Coach #2 is Dennis Franchione, who resigned at Alabama to take the job at Texas A&M.  His tenure there was a disaster and he announced his resignation in the post-game press conference after the Aggiest had defeated Texas in the final game of the 2007 season.

Coach #3 is the great answer to a trivia question.  Mike Price, who left Washington State University (yes, THE Washington State University) to become the coach at Alabama...the end-result was unfortunate, but a foreshadowing of the dangers of the age of the internet and fan message boards everywhere.

Coach #2 is Dennis Franchione, who resigned at Alabama to take the job at Texas A&M.  His tenure there was a disaster and he announced his resignation in the post-game press conference after the Aggiest had defeated Texas in the final game of the 2007 season.

Coach #3 is the great answer to a trivia question.  Mike Price, who left Washington State University (yes, THE Washington State University) to become the coach at Alabama...the end-result was unfortunate, but a foreshadowing of the dangers of the age of the internet and fan message boards everywhere.

Gene Stallings got lucky and won a national title in 1992 and he was mediocre at best.  

UAB makes it official the president informed the team they would be ending their football program this afternoon. Just a horrible situation and really feel bad for their players, coaches, and fans.

Hopefully those kids will get to transfer to a different school and still have good college careers.

Seems as though Rich Rod landed on his feet just fine. Just not a fit in Ann Arbor.

I liked Rich Rod and still do. In fact, I'm happy he's had success with Arizona. Disappointed at how his tenure in Michigan went.

Had high hopes for Brady Hoke too, especially after his first season there. He's a good person, from everything I have read and heard about him.

• Upvote 1

UAB makes it official the president informed the team they would be ending their football program this afternoon. Just a horrible situation and really feel bad for their players, coaches, and fans.

The Alabama Board of Trustees should be embarrassed.  Bear Bryant's son helps put the final nail in the coffin of some marginal competition in the state.  And the school now owes Tennessee $925K for not playing next year instead of the $925K they were supposed to get.  Not to mention they'll likely get the boot from Conference USA.  Hope Alabama and Auburn enjoy the extra money, which will be chump change to them.

Hopefully those kids will get to transfer to a different school and still have good college careers.

I believe they will be allowed to transfer freely without penalty.  Unfortunate that they have to choose leaving their school or continue their football careers.  Definitely a shame, especially after their 1st year head coach seems to have things headed in the right direction.

If FSU beats Georgia Tech they are in...period.

As far as TCU...I watched their game vs. Baylor and if a team pukes away a lead and game like TCU did I have no clue how they are ranked ahead of an undefeated and reigning NC FSU.

If FSU beats Georgia Tech they are in...period.

As far as TCU...I watched their game vs. Baylor and if a team pukes away a lead and game like TCU did I have no clue how they are ranked ahead of an undefeated and reigning NC FSU.

Florida State is in a very weak conference and has a very weak schedule.  That is why they must win out or they are out.

Florida State is in a very weak conference and has a very weak schedule. That is why they must win out or they are out.

Clemson worked over South Carolina and Georgia Tech beat Georgia. FSU's win over Florida gave the ACC a 3-0 record against the SEC last weekend. Also, last time I checked, Georgia gave Auburn a 34-7 beatdown, so how good are the War Eagles, er, Tigers, at 8-4? And they gave Alabama all they could handle in Tuscaloosa. And why isn't Alabama "punished" for a 14-13 win over Arkansas?

Apparently we're once again stuck with a system that forgets all about early season losses (Oregon and Alabama), shows total disregard for head to head games (TCU ahead of Baylor despite a loss to the Bears), and will eliminate a one-loss team from contention altogether should it lose its season finale (if FSU loses to a very good Georgia Tech team).

Clemson worked over South Carolina and Georgia Tech beat Georgia. FSU's win over Florida gave the ACC a 3-0 record against the SEC last weekend. Also, last time I checked, Georgia gave Auburn a 34-7 beatdown, so how good are the War Eagles, er, Tigers, at 8-4? And they gave Alabama all they could handle in Tuscaloosa. And why isn't Alabama "punished" for a 14-13 win over Arkansas?

Apparently we're once again stuck with a system that forgets all about early season losses (Oregon and Alabama), shows total disregard for head to head games (TCU ahead of Baylor despite a loss to the Bears), and will eliminate a one-loss team from contention altogether should it lose its season finale (if FSU loses to a very good Georgia Tech team).

I'm confident Baylor will leapfrog TCU with a win against K-State.  I also think FSU can lose and still get in with help. 

Louisville also beat Kentucky. The king of the SEC East, Missouri, lost to Indiana. By the media's standards, they should be talking about how absolutely horrid the SEC East is. The SEC West is per perceived as strong because they beat up on the East, as did the ACC. But the media says the ACC is bad, but a middling ACC program dismantled Ohio State in Columbus.

I'm confident Baylor will leapfrog TCU with a win against K-State. I also think FSU can lose and still get in with help.

My wish list:

Arizona beats Oregon (for the 2nd time this season) in Pac-12 title game...

Missouri beats Alabama in SEC championship game...

Wisconsin beats Ohio State in B10 title game...

Georgia Tech beats Florida State in ACC championship...

TCU and Baylor both win...

Then what does the committee do?

My wish list:

Arizona beats Oregon (for the 2nd time this season) in Pac-12 title game...

Missouri beats Alabama in SEC championship game...

Wisconsin beats Ohio State in B10 title game...

Georgia Tech beats Florida State in ACC championship...

TCU and Baylor both win...

Then what does the committee do?

TCU, Baylor, Florida State, Arizona all in.  Nightmare scenario for the committee to be sure.