• Zach Parise
    • Jonathan Toews
    • Ed Belfour
    • Greg Johnson
    • Troy Murray
    • To ny Hrkac
    • Perry Berezan
    • Other

I think Prpich gives Hextal a pretty good push in the entertainment area.

Agreed.  I remember Brad once telling me that when Hextall first heard some of the things Prpich did (like the water bottle incident against Denver), he was in total awe.

• Upvote 1

Archie...Archie...Archie...

Entertainment off the chart...scored big goals...got in big fights...taunted the officials and the other team's bench...got the crowd going.  He played 4 years at UND and won a title in 1982, logging a regular shift as a freshman.

In the 84-85 season he averaged almost a goal a game and almost 5 PIMs per game

This thread is not the most skilled player in UND history, nor is it the greatest single season.  For my dollar, Archie was the man.

• Upvote 3

Something tells me that even if the 86-87 team had Wayne Gretzky, they still would have lost that game against American International. If they lost that game even with just the roster they had, I'm not sure anyone else would have helped.

i remember Hrkac taking a really lazy/bad penalty that game...the whole team seemed like they were skating in mud...must have been a hell of a party the night before.

The way I see this the question is somewhat null in the realm of interpretation.

really there are three distinct meanings that can be taken to the question and those can be answered separately as opposed to the ambiguous "greatest Sioux" debate.

1. Who is the best hockey player to ever play in the program.

TOEWS....

Belfour 1st runner up

2. What player had the single greatest season in the program.

HRKAC

Joyce 1st runner up

3. What player had the overall greatest career in the program

This defined by BigA's post would be distinctly different than the other 2.

TAYLOR

Ben Cherski 1st runner up.

The way I see this the question is somewhat null in the realm of interpretation.

really there are three distinct meanings that can be taken to the question and those can be answered separately as opposed to the ambiguous "greatest Sioux" debate.

TOEWS....

Belfour 1st runner up

HRKAC

Joyce 1st runner up

TAYLOR

I also wonder if you have to go by era as well. During the 1970 and 1980, the game was a lot different than it is now. You could almost go 3-4 different era's. 

TOEWS....

Belfour 1st runner up

HRKAC

Joyce 1st runner up

TAYLOR

Where does Greg Johnson fit into the ranking of question #3? UND's all-time scoring leader played on some pretty bad teams,...how good would he have been on any of the powerhouse teams of the 80s or 90s?

1. Greg Johnson 272

2. Mark Taylor 265

3. Jeff Panzer 228

4. Dixon Ward 219

5. Lee Davidson 202

6. Doug Smail 195

7. Steve Johnson191

8. Ben Cherski 188

8. Phil Sykes 188

10. Rich Zaparniuk 185

Here's top ten all-time scoring.

1. Greg Johnson 272

2. Mark Taylor 265

3. Jeff Panzer 228

4. Dixon Ward 219

5. Lee Davidson 202

6. Doug Smail 195

7. Steve Johnson191

8. Ben Cherski 188

8. Phil Sykes 188

10. Rich Zaparniuk 185

Here's top ten all-time scoring.

As I mentioned before...the guy at #4 IMO should easily be in the discussion. If you have a hundred+ goals and assist...you are doing something right.

As I mentioned before...the guy at #4 IMO should easily be in the discussion. If you have a hundred+ goals and assist...you are doing something right.

Ward, Bob Joyce, and Ben Cherski are the only members of the 100 goal club. Cherski with 131 is the program leader. (70% of his career points were from goals scored)

Ward, Bob Joyce, and Ben Cherski are the only members of the 100 goal club. Cherski with 131 is the program leader. (70% of his career points were from goals scored)

Dixon Ward was fun to watch. Those 1988-1989 and 1989-1890 teams should have been something special...oh, what talent they had...

Not only was he a great Sioux hockey player, Dixon was a helluva good guy off the ice too. 

Dixon Ward remains UND's only 100-100 guy (110G, 109A, 219 points).

The way things are going with scoring in college hockey, that one is going to stand for quite a while. 

Ed Belfour was playing a different game than everyone else on the ice. 

This has me thinking about an all-time 20-man line-up card (12F, 6D, 2G). That's brutal ...