SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC to get expanded TV coverage

#MACtion

The biggest complaint about UND’s new hockey league, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, was the television deal, which barred the league’s teams from appearing on national networks outside of CBS Sports.

Fenton has been in contact with officials at CBS Sports this summer and multiple sources tell the Herald that CBS appears willing to alter, in some way, the exclusivity clause in the network's contract with the NCHC.

http://www.grandfork...ing-tv-contract

More national TV hockey games on the way. At a minimum this sounds like it will allow for Fox College Sports to pick up games like North Dakota had before the CBSSN deal. I just hope FCS picks up a conference-wide package and not just a UND package where they get a ton more coverage like the Notre Dame / NBCSN / Hockey East deal.

Really hope Miami is doing a much better job getting Miami home games televised as I think they can do better than the 4 TWCSC games we got last season.

The biggest complaint about UND’s new hockey league, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, was the television deal, which barred the league’s teams from appearing on national networks outside of CBS Sports.

Fenton has been in contact with officials at CBS Sports this summer and multiple sources tell the Herald that CBS appears willing to alter, in some way, the exclusivity clause in the network's contract with the NCHC.

http://www.grandfork...ing-tv-contract

More national TV hockey games on the way. At a minimum this sounds like it will allow for Fox College Sports to pick up games like North Dakota had before the CBSSN deal. I just hope FCS picks up a conference-wide package and not just a UND package where they get a ton more coverage like the Notre Dame / NBCSN / Hockey East deal.

Really hope Miami is doing a much better job getting Miami home games televised as I think they can do better than the 4 TWCSC games we got last season.

This is great news. I really like the new conference and CBS Sports did a great job with the broadcast. However, it was great seasons prior when games would be on Fox College Sports. Living in Colorado that gave me a chance to take in a lot of games on TV rather than my computer.

What does TWCSC stand for?

This is great news. I really like the new conference and CBS Sports did a great job with the broadcast. However, it was great seasons prior when games would be on Fox College Sports. Living in Colorado that gave me a chance to take in a lot of games on TV rather than my computer.

What does TWCSC stand for?

Time Warner Cable sports channel

Fox College Sports would be awesome to be able to get again...anything that gets away from webcasts is welcome. :)

Exactly, I'll take webcast over nothing, but I was not impressed with the quality last season. It was watchable, but certainly not the high quality that UND was touting online. It would sometimes glitch and freeze, and the picture was never sharp for supposedly being HD. Rather disappointing, getting FCS back in the picture, and getting UNDs entire home schedule online would be a huge improvement! Hopefully they can work some more Football and Basketball games into the deal too.

I watched a handful of games on webcast last year and I was pretty pleased.  I don't recall many issues with freezing or buffering (maybe a couple of times) and thought the video quality was decent.  However, I was pretty much comparing it to watching the SD broadcasts from previous years, so by comparison it worked out fairly well.

• Upvote 1

I watched a handful of games on webcast last year and I was pretty pleased.  I don't recall many issues with freezing or buffering (maybe a couple of times) and thought the video quality was decent.  However, I was pretty much comparing it to watching the SD broadcasts from previous years, so by comparison it worked out fairly well.

I think the biggest problem wasn't UND webcasts, but the other schools. webcasts. UNO and WMU webcasts were brutal and not worth the money.

I think the biggest problem wasn't UND webcasts, but the other schools. webcasts. UNO and WMU webcasts were brutal and not worth the money.

The NCHC has been encouraging the schools to improve their webcasts because now it will reflect on them.  I know CC invested more money in upgrading their in-arena cameras and equipment and in turn, their stream.

The NCHC has been encouraging the schools to improve their webcasts because now it will reflect on them.  I know CC invested more money in upgrading their in-arena cameras and equipment and in turn, their stream.

Yeah, it was those two schools that had bad webcasts. I know in the past C.C. has had decent webcasts. I remember that MTU's were poor, too. Actually, we watched the webcasts of the two games in B.C. last season, and they had a decent webcast as well. 

Does that mean no more floating Tiger head?....or can one only hope?

They likely will have something similar if they're just pulling the in-house feed.  All schools with in-arena videoboards have some sort of generic graphic they put up during dead time.  It's the same way with Air Force hockey's webcast as well.

Not sure why people have had such poor experiences with the UND webcasts last season. I started watching on my PC and it was lousy but switched to my laptop and the quality was great. Maybe those of you that have had poor pictures and buffering need to try different equipment. Having said that, give me Fox Sports!

I actually prefer the webstream. It's in HD and played nearly flawlessly all of last season on multiple devices in several locations.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why people have had such poor experiences with the UND webcasts last season. I started watching on my PC and it was lousy but switched to my laptop and the quality was great. Maybe those of you that have had poor pictures and buffering need to try different equipment. Having said that, give me Fox Sports!

Had this same issue.  My home computer just couldn't handle the stream, but my laptop (borrowed from work, thank you work!) ran fine.   I've since upgraded my home computer so should have no issues running that this year, which will make my wife happy since I won't be hooking that up to the TV  :-)

Had this same issue. My home computer just couldn't handle the stream, but my laptop (borrowed from work, thank you work!) ran fine. I've since upgraded my home computer so should have no issues running that this year, which will make my wife happy since I won't be hooking that up to the TV :-)

Has anyone tried streaming to their smart TV? If so, how'd it work?

I am tech stoopid with a smart tv...

I have posted this in another thread but can't remember which one. Piece of advice.

The best way to watch a video stream is if you can to be hardwired from your cable modem/router.

Streaming from wireless can be decent but usually packets of data get dropped and it is far more inconsistent than being hard wired.

So when you hook up your laptop/desktop to a TV either through VGA, DVI or HDMI have that computer hardwired with an ethernet cable. It will make a world of difference.

Edit: Here is a link to my previous post about this. http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/18619-und-webcast/?p=655785