SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC to get expanded TV coverage

#MACtion

I have posted this in another thread but can't remember which one. Piece of advice.

The best way to watch a video stream is if you can to be hardwired from your cable modem/router.

Streaming from wireless can be decent but usually packets of data get dropped and it is far more inconsistent than being hard wired.

So when you hook up your laptop/desktop to a TV either through VGA, DVI or HDMI have that computer hardwired with an ethernet cable. It will make a world of difference.

Edit: Here is a link to my previous post about this. http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/18619-und-webcast/?p=655785

UND needs to dump Neulion if I can't stream it glitch free while I'm "borrowing" my neighbors internet from my bomb-proof bunker.  :whistling:

6 of 8 NCHC schools use Neulion and because of that Neulion allows the schools to share their broadcasts for free.  Example, when UND played at Miami, UND got to watch our stream for free and Miami gets to watch WMU's feed for free as long as you have bought your home team's Neulion package.  I think this is what Fenton referred to about having a conference-wide package on the NCHC website.  2 schools don't currently use Neulion but the rest of us could watch each other's streams as a conference-wide streaming package hosted on the NCHC website.  I'd have to check, but I think it is Colorado College and St. Cloud or UMD who are non Neulion users.  NHL Gamecenter Live is powered and designed by Neulion so there is nothing wrong with Neulion, any problems of buffering or camera-work or clarity come from the individual schools, not Neulion.

Actually, last year only four of the eight schools were through Neulion. Those four schools themselves, not Neulion, decided to share the video with opposing teams fans. The goal is to have all 8 but there are issues with DU. The 7 schools would no longer host on their website but link to NCHC site. It is similar to how the mountain west operates their digital network.

Contracts aren't finished so it's not set in stone but it will happen.

NHL Gamecenter Live is powered and designed by Neulion so there is nothing wrong with Neulion, any problems of buffering or camera-work or clarity come from the individual schools, not Neulion.

That isn't entirely true. Buffering problems can be caused by Neulion quite often. People tend not to experience a whole lot of trouble with streaming NHL gamecenter because Neulion allocates those games tons of their bandwidth to use.

Smaller colleges, though, can be caught with streaming issues when they are bombarded with an unusually high number of viewers, like when a team shares their stream with UND and a large number of hockey fans are logging on. Neulion, a lot of times, doesn't anticipate such a high number of viewers and they don't have enough resources allocated for that game which can leave a lot of people out in the cold.

For schools like UND, which can have a high number of viewers on the webcast, they usually try to give them enough resources in terms of bandwidth to try to limit the number of people who have buffering issues, especially when they are giving them an HD signal. With the issues earlier in the year, i'm sure this was a fluid process on how much bandwidth to give UND because of the uncertainty of how many viewers were going to have to come over with the elimination of FOX College Sports as an option.

While clarity can be an issue with the signal the school is sending Neulion (there are schools out there still not broadcasting in HD), buffering is usually not caused by the schools. Schools send one connection to Neulion, and then Neulion takes that signal and distributes it over the school's website. The signal is usually really good going from the school to Neulion (at least for UND). Any of the full or condensed hockey games that are on-demand along with highlights are usually made by Neulion from the signal they were getting from the school. In the end, buffering can usually be narrowed down to two things, either the viewer's connection is bad, or there is a issue with Neulion.

Actually, last year only four of the eight schools were through Neulion. Those four schools themselves, not Neulion, decided to share the video with opposing teams fans. The goal is to have all 8 but there are issues with DU. The 7 schools would no longer host on their website but link to NCHC site. It is similar to how the mountain west operates their digital network.

Contracts aren't finished so it's not set in stone but it will happen.

The ECHL just hired Neulion to bring them ECHL.TV which will launch before the season and will be like "AHL Live" as the E is dropping America One Sports.

I'd assume the new NCHC Digital Network will be similar in concept and pricing. Team Pass, League Pass, or Game Passes.

But PLEASE, get a ROKU app to broadcast these games. Should be priority #1. And also standards across all schools regarding graphics and layouts so we arent watching WMU do it one way and UNO do it another. In some cases it makes sense if it is a transmission of a TV game. I.e. Miami's Neulion All-Access would broadcast the TWC Sportschannel feed and stream it.

I find it astounding the continual "excusing away" and apathy afforded to the subpar and continual issues that plaque the webcast situation by and for both the UND side of things and Nuelion.

Remember folks...."Its on your end."

What subpar and continual issues? If it works great for some people and not for others... Whose issue is that? The signal from UND to Neulion is the same for everyone, yet somehow Neulion is only sending a signal that works for some people? We are all accessing the same stream at Neulion. The only difference is the speed of each persons Internet and the speed of each persons computer.

How is Neulion supposed to fix that?

The ECHL just hired Neulion to bring them ECHL.TV which will launch before the season and will be like "AHL Live" as the E is dropping America One Sports.

I'd assume the new NCHC Digital Network will be similar in concept and pricing. Team Pass, League Pass, or Game Passes.

But PLEASE, get a ROKU app to broadcast these games. Should be priority #1. And also standards across all schools regarding graphics and layouts so we arent watching WMU do it one way and UNO do it another. In some cases it makes sense if it is a transmission of a TV game. I.e. Miami's Neulion All-Access would broadcast the TWC Sportschannel feed and stream it.

Due to the wide range of broadcast qualities and the cost involved, the most the nchc can do is strongly encourage schools to upgrade. Und, Miami, DU and SCSU have the highest quality video. Fortunately, UMD will improve some with FSN games. CC will get better as they made upgrades. WMU needs help and a lot of it.

Due to the wide range of broadcast qualities and the cost involved, the most the nchc can do is strongly encourage schools to upgrade. Und, Miami, DU and SCSU have the highest quality video. Fortunately, UMD will improve some with FSN games. CC will get better as they made upgrades. WMU needs help and a lot of it.

Last year WMU upgraded to high definition cameras, but did not have the server capacity to broadcast in high definition. Those server issues have been addressed, so you will see a high definition broadcast this year

There are other issues with the "production" that still needs to be addressed. I believe they will make some improvements in this area as well.

Well, here is the answer to Western Michigan's production and broadcast quality.  As part of our newly signed TV deal with ESPN, the mothership is helping build a production and broadcast studio at each MAC school so we can produce high-quality ESPN3 content and pipe it straight to ESPN. 

NCHC's Digital Network will also benefit from this on WMU and Miami's end when we upgrade all our equipment and get some help from ESPN staff on the production side.  MAC will own the equipment and studio, but will benefit from the training and consulting that can be used for hockey.  Just wont be able to use any ESPN trademarked graphics for NCHC produced games of course.

"In addition, the MAC and its member institutions, with assistance from ESPN, will establish on-campus production capabilities that will provide a significant increase in the national coverage"

http://mac-sports.com/news/2014/8/19/GEN_0819145904.aspx

Well, here is the answer to Western Michigan's production and broadcast quality.  As part of our newly signed TV deal with ESPN, the mothership is helping build a production and broadcast studio at each MAC school so we can produce high-quality ESPN3 content and pipe it straight to ESPN. 

NCHC's Digital Network will also benefit from this on WMU and Miami's end when we upgrade all our equipment and get some help from ESPN staff on the production side.  MAC will own the equipment and studio, but will benefit from the training and consulting that can be used for hockey.  Just wont be able to use any ESPN trademarked graphics for NCHC produced games of course.

"In addition, the MAC and its member institutions, with assistance from ESPN, will establish on-campus production capabilities that will provide a significant increase in the national coverage"

http://mac-sports.com/news/2014/8/19/GEN_0819145904.aspx

Reading the article, it doesn't say they will be helping building a production and broadcast studio . Do you have other insider informaion?

Has anyone tried streaming to their smart TV? If so, how'd it work?

I am tech stoopid with a smart tv...

I did, two weekends ago with the Knoxville Nationals... Their broadcast was better than the WMU, Omaha and MU hockey broadcasts. I do know during the NCHC playoffs, the videos the various schools that were streamed to the NCHC website were pretty good. That being said, only UNO's feed was used during the NCHC playoffs.

Has anyone tried streaming to their smart TV? If so, how'd it work?

I am tech stoopid with a smart tv...

You can stream to any tv with video/audio inputs. There isn't a smart tv app for the stream, so it makes no difference if you have smart tv or not. You will need a device capable of an internet connection. (PC, tablet, smart phone). HDMI out on the device to HDMI in on your tv works well.

The thing I don't like is the neulion player build does not enlarge to full 16x9. So even though the feed is HD, you can't fill your hdtv screen without using the tv,'s zoom and giving up some of the benefits of hd.

You can stream to any tv with video/audio inputs. There isn't a smart tv app for the stream, so it makes no difference if you have smart tv or not. You will need a device capable of an internet connection. (PC, tablet, smart phone). HDMI out on the device to HDMI in on your tv works well.

The thing I don't like is the neulion player build does not enlarge to full 16x9. So even though the feed is HD, you can't fill your hdtv screen without using the tv,'s zoom and giving up some of the benefits of hd.

Sprig is right, I just hooked up an S-Video to my Lap Top and hooked it up to my TV. I had forgotten that I didn't have a audio cord though.  

Sprig is right, I just hooked up an S-Video to my Lap Top and hooked it up to my TV. I had forgotten that I didn't have a audio cord though.

Oh dear lord. What type of laptop not built in 1999 has s-video?

No wonder people complain about the quality of the stream.

Oh dear lord. What type of laptop not built in 1999 has s-video?

No wonder people complain about the quality of the stream.

Just to be clear, I have an HP, I used an HDMI cable. I just assumed S-Video was the right term... Not all of us are Video people... 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the UND football game from ESPN 3 on my Samsung Mega and the picture was awesome. I would imagine, UND Hockey would have the same quality picture on my phone as well? Based on all of the improvements that were made last year.

Edited by Goon