SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC to get expanded TV coverage

#MACtion

Considering the time and effort the nchc has put into strengthening the national/regional television arrangement I sure hope there is better news to come out. CBS did a great job last season and I was hoping they would increase the number of games.

While the big ten and hockey east have taken strides forward with their television deals it appears the nchc has yet to do so. Hopefully they can work out and get some more national and regional exposure on the tv.

I agree CBSSN did a great job.  Ben, Dave and Shireen have been incredible ambassadors for the conference.  However, it's a catch-22 for UND.  More CBSSN games means fewer UND games on Fox College Sports.  The renegotiating of the exclusivity clause by Josh Fenton and the entire NCHC office will mean most, if not all of UND's home games will be aired on national TV.

It was rumored that the non-CBS Sioux home games might be shown on Fox College Sports channel again. Does the announcement of the nchc.tv deal put an end to that option?

No it does not.  This is in addition to regional/national broadcasts (not including CBSSN).

The option to add all the rest of the conference games for ...really.....not that much more money.....if I read this right?

Correct.  If you order by September 25th, you get every home game in 7 of the 8 venues for $82 (the cost goes up after the 25th).  You're also entered for VIP tickets and hotel to the Frozen Faceoff.

I already signed up, and the site seems easy to navigate.  What I'm still confused about is whether UND's non-conference & exhibition home games will be viewable, or if that requires a second UND Insider membership.  I'm assuming the NCHC.TV broadcasts are limited to conference games.

This is a good deal for the NCHC! I'm really still hoping that FCS picks up the Sioux games, just easier, but for road games and other interesting games around the conference, I will be getting the league pass. They also ask "what is your team" it would be really cool if UND drowned all the others.. Let go guys and gals, SIGN UP!!

More CBSSN games means fewer UND games on Fox College Sports.  The renegotiating of the exclusivity clause by Josh Fenton and the entire NCHC office will mean most, if not all of UND's home games will be aired on national TV.

That's great for UND, but what about for the rest of us?  If CBS has 10 less NCHC games than that is 10 less chances for Miami to be on National TV?  Is the FCS deal conference-wide or just negotiated individually by the schools?  In other words, is only UND gonna benefit by being on FCS?  If that is the case then we should have just let Notre Dame join the NCHC and let them hog all the broadcasts.  If I remember correctly, UND whined about that and so Notre Dame was not allowed to join and yet UND is doing the same thing to the rest of this league.

The NCHC needs increased conference-wide TV deals, not cut down the rest of the conference with CBS negotiations so that it helps UND at the expense of everybody else.  This league won't last long and will break apart quick if that is the case.

I hope there is more to this.

Also, why doesn't the NCHC sign a TV deal with Sinclair Broadcasting's new "American Sports Network"?  It has national reach and reaches a minimum 40% of all United States households (same as CBS Sports Network) and can be limited to just the conference foot-print to avoid exclusivity concerns if need be or can go national.  They are new, looking for new sports content, and reach OTA broadcast TV, cable, and Regional Sports Networks in addition to their existing stations listed below:

http://www.sbgi.net/business/television.shtml

Conference USA just signed with them and are reaching 65+ markets around the country.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/genrel/071714aaa.html

http://www.americansportsnet.com/

That's great for UND, but what about for the rest of us?  If CBS has 10 less NCHC games than that is 10 less chances for Miami to be on National TV?  Is the FCS deal conference-wide or just negotiated individually by the schools?  In other words, is only UND gonna benefit by being on FCS?  If that is the case then we should have just let Notre Dame join the NCHC and let them hog all the broadcasts.  If I remember correctly, UND whined about that and so Notre Dame was not allowed to join and yet UND is doing the same thing to the rest of this league.

You have it exactly backwards.  UND wanted to keep its national television contract with FCS.  UND fell on the sword for the good of the conference.  I highly doubt UND would have objected to Notre Dame's national TV deal when UND wanted to keep its own national TV deal. It was more like every school except UND objected to Notre Dame's TV deal.  The only difference is that Notre Dame wouldn't give up its own national TV deal and UND did.

The NCHC needs increased conference-wide TV deals, not cut down the rest of the conference with CBS negotiations so that it helps UND at the expense of everybody else.  This league won't last long and will break apart quick if that is the case.

Also, why doesn't the NCHC sign a TV deal with Sinclair Broadcasting's new "American Sports Network"?  It has national reach and reaches a minimum 40% of all United States households (same as CBS Sports Network) and can be limited to just the conference foot-print to avoid exclusivity concerns if need be or can go national.  They are new, looking for new sports content, and reach OTA broadcast TV, cable, and Regional Sports Networks in addition to their existing stations listed below:

Conference USA just signed with them and are reaching 65+ markets around the country.

UND had a contract with FCS for a few years prior to the NCHC, and even last year for other sports. I do not know why only 10 games are going to be on CBS...that part has me a bit boggled. I really wish they televised more because they did a great job with the production last year.

I see this as an opportunity for other schools to start negotiating their own contracts so that they can get increased visibility. Look at CBS as a bonus.

Edit- FCS simply re-broadcasts the regional contract we have with Midco Sports net so it should not really be looked at as a Notre Dame type of deal with NBC.

The non-exclusivity helps other schools in the conference as well.  Fox Sports North is working with UMD and SCSU to televise some of their games this year, which would then be available nationally.  Miami is working with the network that has broadcast a few of their games to increase the number of broadcasts, which then can be picked up nationally.  DU already has some stuff on Root Sports, along with a few CC games.  UNO had one game on CBSSN and it wasn't even against an NCHC opponenet (Michigan).  We'll know more when the schedule is released tomorrow but at this point, it benefits half of the schools, if not more.

I'm looking for some clarification.  For me personally, I like to spend Friday and Saturday nights with the family, which means I don't get around to the games until later in the night, when the kid is down and the wife is playing on her ipad.  That being said, I don't start the Sioux games until later, maybe 9, 10 pm.

So with this streaming package, if I start the game up at at 9, will I be able to start right from the beginning of the broadcast?  Or will it jump to where the stream is currently.  A big plus to Directv was that I could DVR the Sioux games on Fox College Sports, and come start it whenever I wanted.  I'm fine running an HDMI cable into the tv from the laptop, but if I can't truly watch the games "on-demand" even while they are in progress, then I don't want the webcast, and will just hope that Fox College Sports is available on DirecTV.

Can anybody help clarify this for me?

The non-exclusivity helps other schools in the conference as well. Fox Sports North is working with UMD and SCSU to televise some of their games this year, which would then be available nationally. Miami is working with the network that has broadcast a few of their games to increase the number of broadcasts, which then can be picked up nationally. DU already has some stuff on Root Sports, along with a few CC games. UNO had one game on CBSSN and it wasn't even against an NCHC opponenet (Michigan). We'll know more when the schedule is released tomorrow but at this point, it benefits half of the schools, if not more.

I like your positivity but it was said last year that root and fsn are regionAl networks. Individual schools could have gotten games on these networks as well last year. The biggest difference I see so far for this year is less nationally televised games.

I like your positivity but it was said last year that root and fsn are regionAl networks. Individual schools could have gotten games on these networks as well last year. The biggest difference I see so far for this year is less nationally televised games.

Yes, Root and FSN are regional, however last year the games were restricted to just those channels. With the removal of the exclusivity, games carried on Root and FSN can now be simulcast on FCS, which gets them into homes across the country.

I've heard more about the CBSSN schedule. Schlossman will have in depth analysis, but expect to see Und a lot.

I've heard more about the CBSSN schedule. Schlossman will have in depth analysis, but expect to see Und a lot.

https://twitter.com/thenchc/status/509796737737707520

https://twitter.com/thenchc/status/509798326129016833

https://twitter.com/thenchc/status/509812756195717121

Regional broadcasts like Root, TWCSC, Fox North, and MidCo are to broadcast via NCHC.tv

Yes, Root and FSN are regional, however last year the games were restricted to just those channels. With the removal of the exclusivity, games carried on Root and FSN can now be simulcast on FCS, which gets them into homes across the country.

Sweet!

That always was the plan.  Just like UND"s stream last year was via the Midco Broadcast, so will all other schools.

Hope the NCHC isn't full of !@#$ about ten or less games being incorrect. I'm thinking it will be 11 now.

They're telling the truth.  It's more than ten.

Hope the NCHC isn't full of !@#$ about ten or less games being incorrect. I'm thinking it will be 11 now.

Why do you care?  Not trying to be a wise guy - just honestly curious as to why you feel this way.  Those games not on CBSSN are likely to be on FCS - either way they are being broadcast nationally.  In fact, as it sits now, only those on CBSSN are guaranteed to be broadcast nationally - there is no official confirmation that any of the others will be allowed to be broadcast on FCS or that FCS will choose to air them.  Additionally, those on CBSSN will be HD, whereas those on FCS will be SD.  To summarize:  I do not see any relative advantage to NOT having games on CBBSN unless you are relying on the webcast to view the games live.

Why do you care?  Not trying to be a wise guy - just honestly curious as to why you feel this way.  Those games not on CBSSN are likely to be on FCS - either way they are being broadcast nationally.  In fact, as it sits now, only those on CBSSN are guaranteed to be broadcast nationally - there is no official confirmation that any of the others will be allowed to be broadcast on FCS or that FCS will choose to air them.  Additionally, those on CBSSN will be HD, whereas those on FCS will be SD.  To summarize:  I do not see any relative advantage to NOT having games on CBBSN unless you are relying on the webcast to view the games live.

Huh?  I think you misread what I wrote.  I want games to be on CBSSN.  I am just expecting to be disappointed by how many they actually carry this year.

So to break it down.  If I live in Minneapolis and do not have cable, is this worth buying, or will there be alternative ways to see games?

I would say that this is a very good way to watch the games if you don't have cable or a dish. 

You have to love some of these fans... That couldn't be further from the truth. 

@TheNCHC renegotiated contract with CBSSN from a "min 18" games to 10 or less this year to loosen exclusivity so UND could be on FCS?

Edited by Goon