SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Really? 7,000 UND fans made the trip to a regular season series at Omaha in February 2013. A regular season series, not a regional, nor a Frozen Four. A distance of 499 miles from Grand Forks, just 9 miles less than Minneapolis - South Bend. I guess there is quite a difference between the two fan bases, much more than the mileage difference.

There were more Gopher fans in Philly last year than UND fans and by a decent margin. 

There were more Gopher fans in Philly last year than UND fans and by a decent margin. 

This just in....There are more Gopher fans than UND fans in the world.  Also just breaking.....There are more direct flights from MSP to PHL than GFK to PHL.  So I guess it would make sense for there to be more fans of the bigger school with more alumni from a larger city.  Congrats!

This just in....There are more Gopher fans than UND fans in the world. Also just breaking.....There are more direct flights from MSP to PHL than GFK to PHL. So I guess it would make sense for there to be more fans of the bigger school with more alumni from a larger city. Congrats!

Sounds like an excuse

Not an excuse. Just reality. Onsidering the size of the city the University is in and the number of alumni, UM has more fans. Now will they always get more fan support for a neutral site game than UND, not always, but it is not unrealistic to expect it.

We have enough fans with enough money and enough interest to get as many if not more than any team to any neutral rink.

This just in....There are more Gopher fans than UND fans in the world.  Also just breaking.....There are more direct flights from MSP to PHL than GFK to PHL.  So I guess it would make sense for there to be more fans of the bigger school with more alumni from a larger city.  Congrats!

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'd guess there are exactly 0 flights directly from GFK to PHI.

Also, I'd like to know what sort of article or reference Marriuci is using when he says there were more Gopher fans.

I would agree that there are more "Gopher fans" in the world than "UND fans" however after living in the TC area and GF area for decent amounts of time, I've come to learn there are quite drastic degrees of what constitues a "fan".

As far as fans who are interested enough to go to a frozen four im not sure they would look for flights and immediately cancel if there wasn't a direct flight from where they live (not every UND fan lives in GF.)

Not every UND fan lives in GF however a large portion who actively follow the team do.  This means a potential connecting flight for which we're talking $300-400 on top of the trip.  I consider myself a die-hard fan who would love to go to a Frozen Four to watch my team but I'd be lying if that amount didn't make me hesitate.

Also, UofMN enrollment is 48,000 this year, UND is 15,000. That's 3x the amount of "fans" graduating every single year that could very likely end up on the east coast within driving distance or a cheap flight to Philly and throw on a maroon and gold because their alma mater is in the Frozen Four.

I'm one to believe UND fans are more passionate than any other team's in the country but it boils down to a numbers game with population of the TC metro and enrollment numbers when you're talking about amount of fans. However, I do believe that 1 Sioux fan= about 4 Gopher fans, we just shoot for quality  :)

Really? 7,000 UND fans made the trip to a regular season series at Omaha in February 2013. A regular season series, not a regional, nor a Frozen Four. A distance of 499 miles from Grand Forks, just 9 miles less than Minneapolis - South Bend. I guess there is quite a difference between the two fan bases, much more than the mileage difference.

Back when gas was near 4 bucks a gallon too.

I was in Philly, i doubt there was more Gopher fans than Sioux. Alot of Gopher fans showed up Saturday, AFTER they made the championship game. I would also say the majority of Sioux fans there were not from Grand Forks. We come from everywhere.

On my flight out to philly I bet  there were more FIGHTING SIOUX fans on it than goofer  fans out of Minneapolis! The SIOUX fans at least showed there  colors.

Here's a link:

http://www.uscho.com/2015/01/19/big-ten-announces-suspensions-to-wisconsins-wittchow-minnesotas-lettieri/

Please, explain to me how what Reilly does from 1:00 to 1:02 is not classless. That is a flying cross check (nearly a blind side) that hit very high*.

*Was that intended for the shoulder it hit ... or higher. 

This happens in the NHL very often as well after hits like that, but the players fight after. This is college hockey, you can't fight. It's in their heads that they can't drop the gloves because they know that's an automatic suspension. 99.9% of the time in a similar situation a UND player would keep his gloves on as well, because they don't want the automatic suspension. As much as they want to, they're smart enough not to do it.

This happens in the NHL very often as well after hits like that, but the players fight after. This is college hockey, you can't fight. It's in their heads that they can't drop the gloves because they know that's an automatic suspension. 99.9% of the time in a similar situation a UND player would keep his gloves on as well, because they don't want the automatic suspension. As much as they want to, they're smart enough not to do it.

Or, they'll take several shots to the head until the coach gives the go-ahead to fight (Rylan Kaip)?

There were more Gopher fans in Philly last year than UND fans and by a decent margin

The people in Philadelphia said otherwise.  I was guessing it was about equal from the place I sat, but people from Philly kept coming up to us Friday and Saturday telling us how amazed they were that North Dakota fans filled up 3/4 of the Arena Thursday.  Perhaps they were just saying that to be nice to the fans of the team that lost. Perception doesn't always = reality, true, but it does mean a lot.  

The people in Philadelphia said otherwise.  I was guessing it was about equal from the place I sat, but people from Philly kept coming up to us Friday and Saturday telling us how amazed they were that North Dakota fans filled up 3/4 of the Arena Thursday.  Perhaps they were just saying that to be nice to the fans of the team that lost. Perception doesn't always = reality, true, but it does mean a lot.  

It also takes fewer Gopher fans than Sioux fans to fill a space, though, due to the size of their heads. 

• Upvote 1

I thought it was pretty even or slightly more gopher fans at the arena but I saw more Sioux fans walking around town.

Yea it does, why does he even bring up age?

In Lucia's mind, the older you are the better you are I guess...or at least he likes to keep that excuse handy. The funny thing is Lucia probably passed on some of these guys.

Yah. To ref "veteran" status, fine, but to specifically count how many players are over age 21 is looking for excuses--typical.

Not every UND fan lives in GF however a large portion who actively follow the team do.  This means a potential connecting flight for which we're talking $300-400 on top of the trip.  I consider myself a die-hard fan who would love to go to a Frozen Four to watch my team but I'd be lying if that amount didn't make me hesitate.

Also, UofMN enrollment is 48,000 this year, UND is 15,000. That's 3x the amount of "fans" graduating every single year that could very likely end up on the east coast within driving distance or a cheap flight to Philly and throw on a maroon and gold because their alma mater is in the Frozen Four.

I'm one to believe UND fans are more passionate than any other team's in the country but it boils down to a numbers game with population of the TC metro and enrollment numbers when you're talking about amount of fans. However, I do believe that 1 Sioux fan= about 4 Gopher fans, we just shoot for quality  :)

Well put In Hvn There Is No Beer.

You don't throw cross checks to the head, especially when you're charging at the same time. I don't care what level you're playing at. 

If you have that severe of a problem with the fellow you settle it upright -- NCAA fighting rules be damned.