SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. GOPHERS - Thursday, F4 Philly style Gameday

AZSIOUX

What is the average IQ of a Gopher fan.......

What is the average blood alcohol level of gopher fans during games (especially the ones in dinkytown)......

What is Adam Wilcox save percentage in the National Championship game.......

What is the average length of male Gopher fans Pe............ok, I won't go there!!

I actually thought it was the percentage of actual breast tissue in the ladies wearing the T shirts.

Honestly, the whole 0.6 second thing doesn't bother me too much. Not trying to downplay it at all, but it feels the same to me as if UMN would have scored in OT or with 10min left in the 3rd. The "time remaining" part of it doesn't bother me.

If the UMN fans want to make a big deal of it in the future, I'm fine with that...but it still won't bother me. :)

This UND team was an underdog their whole run through the NCAA's...UMN was ranked #1 almost the entire season. When remembering that game, I'll remember it as the time that UMN got lucky at the end after being thoroughly outplayed for a good chunk of the game...and then got dominated two days later in the title game. Frankly, if given the chance, I believe that UND would have given Union a better game on Saturday...although I don't think they would have won. Union was just on another level during the postseason.

0.6 forever!! :D

Denial over. :crazy::lol:

well put. there is no guarantee UND would have won even if that .6 wouldn'thave happened. UM got a fortunate bounce(s) and won. like you said it is no differentthat if they would have won in OT or scored with 4 minutes left. I'm over the .6 as I think a lot of other UND fans are and are looking forward to next year.

Runner-Up U > 0.6 :devil:

Deal with THAT. :p

Not sure what you're getting at here. Are you trying to say it's not good to be second place and better to not even have made the final game? How do you get to that point. Rather be second that 4th, so not too tough for me to deal with.

This UND team was an underdog their whole run through the NCAA's...UMN was ranked #1 almost the entire season. When remembering that game, I'll remember it as the time that UMN got lucky at the end after being thoroughly outplayed for a good chunk of the game...and then got dominated two days later in the title game.

Pure revisionist Sioux fan history, brianvf. Here's the version from "the other guys' site":

UND couldn't be an underdog as no team with 14 draft picks could possibly be seen as an underdog. Therefore, the victory over UND was, in fact, not expected by Gopher Nation, and is something to be celebrated.

Secondly, nevermind that #1 ranking for about 95% of the season...this particular Gopher team over-achieved all season long and was fortunate enough just to BE in the title game, let alone have a chance to possibly win it. Their average player age of just over 21 years of age paled in comparison to Union's being just under 22 years of age.

Cue the DVD being made: Miracle on Ice 2: The Story of the Cinderella Minnesota Gophers and the 2013-2014 Season!

Not sure what you're getting at here. Are you trying to say it's not good to be second place and better to not even have made the final game? How do you get to that point. Rather be second that 4th, so not too tough for me to deal with.

Nobody remembers second place (except for the team that finishes second place). And losing a championship game is one of the most painful experiences in sports (just ask the Buffalo Bills of the 1990's). I have heard NHL players say it is better to miss the playoffs than get to the Stanley Cup Finals and lose. But again, your program hangs runner-up banners, so I guess it's different for you guys. :huh:

• Upvote 1

It's pathetic that we take pride in beating our rival at the Frozen Four? Haha I needed a laugh thanks. And this is coming from a UND fan who took how much pride in the Holy Cross game? At least this game actually involved OUR team. Maybe we can meet again next year in the NCAA's and we can end your season for the 3rd time in 4 years.

I agree, going forward Miami/UND will be bigger than UND/Gophers will be. Like I said the rivalry between our 2 schools is over.

There you go talking out of both sides of your mouth again. Just like Lucia -- first the rivalry is unhealthy, then it is great for college hockey.

• Upvote 1

Nobody remembers second place (except for the team that finishes second place). And losing a championship game is one of the most painful experiences in sports (just ask the Buffalo Bills of the 1990's). I have heard NHL players say it is better to miss the playoffs than get to the Stanley Cup Finals and lose. But again, your program hangs runner-up banners, so I guess it's different for you guys. :huh:

I guess we did you a favor then, so you didn't have to face a red hot Union team and risk losing in an even more high profile game. If that's your story you should be thanking us, not ripping us.

Their average player age of just over 21 years of age paled in comparison to Union's being just under 22 years of age.

I saw that on GPL as well and laughed. Wasn't it something like 10 months difference in avg age between the two teams?

10 months??!?!?!?# No wonder that Union won the title, no team could be expected to overcome that sort of age difference. :D

Pure revisionist Sioux fan history, brianvf. Here's the version from "the other guys' site":

UND couldn't be an underdog as no team with 14 draft picks could possibly be seen as an underdog. Therefore, the victory over UND was, in fact, not expected by Gopher Nation, and is something to be celebrated.

Secondly, nevermind that #1 ranking for about 95% of the season...this particular Gopher team over-achieved all season long and was fortunate enough just to BE in the title game, let alone have a chance to possibly win it. Their average player age of just over 21 years of age paled in comparison to Union's being just under 22 years of age.

After losing Haula, Bjugstad, Schmidt, Budish, and Alt to EARLY departures plus Seth Helguson as a senior no one expected this years Gopher team to be as good as they were. They absolutely over achieved during the regular season. How this team managed to have the season they had with 6 freshmen forwards and 3 on the top two lines is amazing.

2nd, 4th, 59th best team in the country. Doen't matter where you finish unless it's #1 hoisting a National Championship trophy. Every teams goal (realistic or not) is to win the National Championship. IT is not to make the Frozen Four, beat their rival in the playoffs, or make the Championship game. All other accomplishents don't matter unless you win the big one at the end.

In addition to the "National Runner Up" banner they are going to proudly hang at the John, they might as wll hang a ".6" banner up as well!! :)

I guess we did you a favor then, so you didn't have to face a red hot Union team and risk losing in an even more high profile game. If that's your story you should be thanking us, not ripping us.

No we shouldn't, because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Our team didn't get a chance to take their shot at Union and that is something the team (especially the seniors) will be carrying around with them for some time.

After losing Haula, Bjugstad, Schmidt, Budish, and Alt to EARLY departures plus Seth Helguson as a senior no one expected this years Gopher team to be as good as they were. They absolutely over achieved during the regular season. How this team managed to have the season they had with 6 freshmen forwards and 3 on the top two lines is amazing.

And maybe an "overachieved" banner as well!! :lol:

There you go talking out of both sides of your mouth again. Just like Lucia -- first the rivalry is unhealthy, then it is great for college hockey.

Read my post you quoted from 10/31 and you'll see I said Miami and UND "will be" a bigger rivalry going forward than UND and Minnesota and over time that will still be correct. Next time just read my post more carefully and you won't look as dumb.

Well that's weird...I just checked out the first sentence of the opening paragraph of GPL's site and I saw this:

Minnesota is a program that goes into each season looking to raise banners

http://gopherpucklive.com/

Somebody should change that to read: "...except in 2013-2014 because we lost Haula, Bjugstad, Schmidt, Budish, and Alt to EARLY departures plus Seth Helguson as a senior and no one expected this years Gopher team to be as good as they were."

Well that's weird...I just checked out the first sentence of the opening paragraph of GPL's site and I saw this:

http://gopherpucklive.com/

Somebody should change that to read: "...except in 2013-2014 because we lost Haula, Bjugstad, Schmidt, Budish, and Alt to EARLY departures plus Seth Helguson as a senior and no one expected this years Gopher team to be as good as they were."

We still raised a banner. Mission accomplished.

EDIT: sort of... obviously we wanted to raise a bigger banner but if that is the criteria, we did do it.

No we shouldn't, because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Our team didn't get a chance to take their shot at Union and that is something the team (especially the seniors) will be carrying around with them for some time.

Why even take that chance of the seniors not pulling out the big game? Union was riding a huge streak and knocking off top opponents. Too much of a risk for your team to handle a loss. You're welcome for not having to deal with it.

I saw that on GPL as well and laughed. Wasn't it something like 10 months difference in avg age between the two teams?

10 months??!?!?!?# No wonder that Union won the title, no team could be expected to overcome that sort of age difference. :D

21 years, 11 months for Union. 21 years, 2 months for Minnesota. 9 months. Ironically enough, the same Gopher fans patting Parenteau (who turns 25 in June) and Serratore (who turns 25 in July) on the back for their dedication to Gopher-land were some of the same fans ridiculing Union for having "a bunch" of 24 year olds on their squad. For the record, Union had 2 players 24 years old on their roster - Mat Bodie being one of them. Both just turned 24 recently (Bodie in March and Sam Coatta the day before the tournament started, April 9th).

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good excuse...

• Upvote 1

Read my post you quoted from 10/31 and you'll see I said Miami and UND "will be" a bigger rivalry going forward than UND and Minnesota and over time that will still be correct. Next time just read my post more carefully and you won't look as dumb.

...says the Gopher fan obsessed with a Sioux message board ???

• Upvote 1

We still raised a banner. Mission accomplished.

EDIT: sort of... obviously we wanted to raise a bigger banner but if that is the criteria, we did do it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! Yeah...I am sure that is what the team was saying before Saturdays game. "Well...at least we get to rase a banner. This game doesn't really matter since we have already overachieved so much this year!! HAHAHAHA Oh man. I can't stop laughing at this rediculous statement!!!! :lol:

I think he was referring to our regular season Big Ten Championship. You know, the third straight year we've won our league.

Exactly. We're no SCSU. Conference titles don't mean anything anymore? I thought that was typically what UND did... win the regular season title and flame out in the playoffs.

Again, you're welcome for not allowing UND to play in the championship and potentially lose.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! Yeah...I am sure that is what the team was saying before Saturdays game. "Well...at least we get to rase a banner. This game doesn't really matter since we have already overachieved so much this year!! HAHAHAHA Oh man. I can't stop laughing at this rediculous statement!!!! :lol:

I was simply responding to the statement MafiaMan made about it being our goal to raise banners. Which we did. I actually said that obviously we wanted to raise a bigger one, but if that was being as a rip on us, it was quite misplaced. I guess everyone seemed to forget about our regular season title.

Exactly. We're no SCSU. Conference titles don't mean anything anymore? I thought that was typically what UND did... win the regular season title and flame out in the playoffs.

Again, you're welcome for not allowing UND to play in the championship and potentially lose.

I was simply responding to the statement MafiaMan made about it being our goal to raise banners. Which we did. I actually said that obviously we wanted to raise a bigger one, but if that was being as a rip on us, it was quite misplaced. I guess everyone seemed to forget about our regular season title.

Come on. Do you think that the Gophers goal this year was just to win a conference championship? Sure you can be proud of winning a watered down 6 team conference. But don't fall back on it and brag about it when fail to win the Natty. Sioux fans have been there. The first game of the 2011-2012 season, they raises the WCHA Championship banner at the Ralph just 6 months after failing to win the NAtional Championship we all though we were going to win. Sure we were proud of the accomplishment, but it was bitter sweet seeing that one go up instead of a NAtty banner.