SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. GOPHERS - Thursday, F4 Philly style Gameday

AZSIOUX

Listening to KFAN right now. According to Gardsy...a "high ranking official" for the U said that the Thursday riots were in part due to a large portion of the crowd thinking they had just won the title.

After watching several of the videos last night, I became convinced of that myself, although I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the morons student fans in the crowd.

While they came up short on banner 6, at least they have those cute little ".6" t-shirts

Saturday night in pictures:

WilcoxsommersaultMN_zps0b2b5998.jpg

MNkneel_zpsba0080f0.jpg

MNsnowconfettieonWilcox_zps8be1d1fb.jpg

MNRauBJ_zpsc9a2ad1f.jpg

Well, according to some folks on GPL, losing with .6 left on the clock is FAR WORSE than losing the national championship game. Gee...doesn't seem that way.

Top excuses I've been hearing so far this week:

"Union is an old team; our studs leave too early"... 16 draftees vs 1 and UND has had the same issues for years, sorry that doesn't hold up

"East Refs were biased"... same refs all tourney long, there are good breaks and bad breaks

"we dominated the game except for that 3 minute window"... sorry bud, the numbers don't lie, and that's irrelevant anyways

"we were too crazed by our whooping of the Sioux's ass 2 nights before"... stupid on so many levels and not even worth my time to respond

MN played the Championship game with everything they had and came up short. It was one of the best Frozen Fours I've ever seen/endured. The whiners will whine, but regardless Union deserves to be called the Best in the Nation.

• Upvote 1

"Union is an old team; our studs leave too early"... 16 draftees vs 1 and UND has had the same issues for years, sorry that doesn't hold up

"East Refs were biased"... same refs all tourney long, there are good breaks and bad breaks

"we dominated the game except for that 3 minute window"... sorry bud, the numbers don't lie, and that's irrelevant anyways

"we were too crazed by our whooping of the Sioux's ass 2 nights before"... stupid on so many levels and not even worth my time to respond

MN played the Championship game with everything they had and came up short. It was one of the best Frozen Fours I've ever seen/endured. The whiners will whine, but regardless Union deserves to be called the Best in the Nation.

Yep.

I'm still trying to find the clause in the NCAA rule book that explains which teams are forced to recruit 18-year-old, highly talented freshmen instead of 20-year-old, experienced freshmen.

It is under the caption: Excuses for Minnesota having lost again. Seriously though the real issue maybe that Gopher recruits think they are too good to spend a year or two in the USHL and wait until they are needed at the university. Look at how UND's recruits are structured by coming in over time instead of all at once.

Surprised there's been no mention of the World Junior tournament. Two UMTC players, plus the head coach? No doubt they were still exhausted.

It's hilarious watching UND fans downplay the whole 0.6 second thing. Talk about denial. 0.6 will live forever and UND fans will just have to get used it. Yes the Gophers did not go on to win it all but neither did UND after the Porter wrap around in the '07 Regional. And wasn't that goal the top moment in the rivalry according to UND fans in some top ten ranking just last week? These two teams have played almost 300 times and last week's match-up was probably the most hyped up game in the rivalry's history and your team lost in epic fashion in a historic game to your arch rival that will NEVER be forgotten by either fanbase. Just like after the Holy Cross game, Gopher fans knew it was historic and would take heat from UND fans forever because of it. Well 0.6 will be no different. UND fans will never forget how their favorite team's 2013-14 season ended and Gopher fans will never get tired of reminding them.

It's hilarious watching UND fans downplay the whole 0.6 second thing. Talk about denial. 0.6 will live forever and UND fans will just have to get used it. Yes the Gophers did not go on to win it all but neither did UND after the Porter wrap around in the '07 Regional. And wasn't that goal the top moment in the rivalry according to UND fans in some top ten ranking just last week? These two teams have played almost 300 times and last week's match-up was probably the most hyped up game in the rivalry's history and your team lost in epic fashion in a historic game to your arch rival that will NEVER be forgotten by either fanbase. Just like after the Holy Cross game, Gopher fans knew it was historic and would take heat from UND fans forever because of it. Well 0.6 will be no different. UND fans will never forget how their favorite team's 2013-14 season ended and Gopher fans will never get tired of reminding them.

Holy Cross: Huge underdog pulling off arguably the biggest upset in tourney history.

0.6 :Heavily favored team outplayed most of the game before needing unreal puck luck for a fluke goal in the final second

Would have been different if the game had been won by outplaying a team. You know like a number 1 seeding over the number 14 team should have. Nope won by a lucky bounce after the 14th team controlled the 1 team. I love how Gopher fans would enjoy this more than winning the championship instead. What a way to justify the egg that they laid.

The difference is UND fans didn't make shirts that said "Wrap around" or "3-2" after that game. You made the point in your post. " the Gophers did not go on to win it all." Yes is was a big win and a crazy way to win a game. But because Minnesota didn't go on to win the title, it takes a little bit of the luster off of it. Gopher fans can bring up .6, make t-shirts, etc. But it will only remind them that 2 days after that game, they went on to lose the National Championship and get dominated by Union.

The real kicker is that you got outplayed most of the game and snuck by a much lower ranked team with a fortunate bounce.

Did I mention you didn't win the most important game in the Frozen Four two days later when you were trounced by Union?

That's a riot!

10168121_893236255951_6512774370351637851_n.jpg

I, for one, am not downplaying it whatsoever. It was an epic moment that will never be forgotten by either side. Just like Porter's wraparound, Wheeler's jersey pop, The Timeout and Holy Cross.

But, call a spade a spade... if you guys woulda won on Saturday, this woulda meant A LOT more and made the sting A LOT worse if UM woulda won the title. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I hear people tell me all the time when I bring up the Porter wraparound that it doesn't mean anything. It's an easy comeback because it's true. Doesn't downplay anything. Calling a spade a spade.

And the Gerbils got dominated by Union in the NCAA title game 48 hours later. Gerbil fans will just have to get used to it. :glare::angry:

Second place in Women's Hockey. Second place in Men's Hockey. The University of Minnesota.....Runner-Up U!!! :p Maybe you can have a parade in Downtown Minneapolis with both Runner-Up Trophies at the front and the players for both teams following with a banner that says "We're #2, where are the Whioux?". Then Don Lucia-pet can give a speech saying the NCAA semifinal win over UND was "just another win for us and didn't have any meaning beyond that" and whatever other garbage he has come up with since we changed conferences a year ago. Two can play this game. :devil:

Have a nice day!!! :D

The difference is UND fans didn't make shirts that said "Wrap around" or "3-2" after that game. You made the point in your post. " the Gophers did not go on to win it all." Yes is was a big win and a crazy way to win a game. But because Minnesota didn't go on to win the title, it takes a lot of the luster off of it. Gopher fans can bring up .6, make t-shirts, etc. But it will only remind them that 2 days after that game, they went on to lose the National Championship and get dominated by Union.

Fixed your post.

Your team was #1 in the polls all year, and went on to get outplayed in both Frozen Four games (lucky to sneak out one win). It's actually pretty sad that UMTC fans have to take comfort in this victory as much as they are. It's really kind of pathetic.