SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. MIAMI OH - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Sounds like cubs fans, wait till next year,14 years since are last title, way way too long

If you are going to piss and moan about a coach, who in no way will be fired at the end of this season, at least know the difference between "are" and "our". It takes away from your very deeply, thought out, and calculated post if you don't.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we can start hanging "NCHC Runner-Up" banners, or perhaps "NCAA Tournament Participation" banners. That is the only thing this program is producing lately. Make all the damn excuses you want, the program is not performing.

• Upvote 1

The way we played tonight in all honesty we don't belong in the NCAA tourney. If we happen to somehow slip in I don't see us getting past the first game. This team just isn't that good this year and it certainly is a tough pill to swallow for us fans.

Gotta disagree. Yale last year, Duluth in 2011, MSU whenever they last won (2006?), Wisconsin's last win. None of them were the best team in the country over the course of the season but got in the tourney and won 4 games. We can too! Just get in and see what happens.

Gotta disagree. Yale last year, Duluth in 2011, MSU whenever they last won (2006?), Wisconsin's last win. None of them were the best team in the country over the course of the season but got in the tourney and won 4 games. We can too! Just get in and see what happens.

Could possibly happen, but remember, this team has had two huge games lately against lesser opponents - one to win the conference and one to get into the tournament and absolutely crapped the bed both times.

Maybe we can start hanging "NCHC Runner-Up" banners, or perhaps "NCAA Tournament Participation" banners. That is the only thing this program is producing lately. Make all the damn excuses you want, the program is not performing.

Exactly!

Meanwhile, NDSU is winning in everything, the only University in the state with National recognition, and making our University's Athletic Program and its "flagship program" look like a COMPLETE JOKE.

This team's effort can't be faulted in my opinion. missing the finisher, the clutch player, the clutch goal...... Owned Miami in the latter portion of the first and most of the 2nd. woulda coulda shoulda.....came up with nothing to show for it and that was the game. it's a little bleak and making the tourney is going to take some luck, something UND fans haven't experienced for a while. That being said, the future is bright with developing defensemen and hopefully an influx of scoring touch up front. The team has grown and improved since the beginning of the season and are on the up, imo.

This team's effort can't be faulted in my opinion. missing the finisher, the clutch player, the clutch goal...... Owned Miami in the latter portion of the first and most of the 2nd. woulda coulda shoulda.....came up with nothing to show for it and that was the game. it's a little bleak and making the tourney is going to take some luck, something UND fans haven't experienced for a while. That being said, the future is bright with developing defensemen and hopefully an influx of scoring touch up front. The team has grown and improved since the beginning of the season and are on the up, imo.

You've been saying this for a decade on here. Are you ever going to want RESULTS? Or do you just love the THOUGHT of being good some day. I'm guessing the latter.

You've been saying this for a decade on here. Are you ever going to want RESULTS? Or do you just love the THOUGHT of being good some day. I'm guessing the latter.

Exactly. A lot of fans deal with defeat by ignoring the reality of the present moment and focusing instead on next season. It makes dealing with defeat today a lot easier. If they lived in the present, and even went back 10+ years, they would realize that the hockey program has underperformed and not lived up to its expectations and the expectations of its fans. And that's not a comfortable feeling, so let's put on some blinders and focus on next season instead, after all, we were young this year and next year we've got some promising recruits coming in ... And some might think that by firing Hakstol you're firing a quality guy with the right intentions. Well, he may be the nicest guy with the purest of intentions in the metropolis that is GF, but that certainly isn't hanging banners at the Ralph now, is it?

The one thing I take away from Hakstol's coaching style is that, from what I've read here, he refuses or is unable to make in-game adjustments. If anything, that's one thing a coach needs to do if things aren't going as planned. Sure, if you're winning 5-0, no need to change anything. But if you get into a national tournament game, fall behind a couple goals and lose the game because you didn't want to deviate from the original gameplan, it makes ZERO sense. I can't comprehend that stunted kind of thinking. Not just in games, but in life in general. If any person refuses to make adjustments in their life when it's needed, negative results smack them in the face. Yet Hakstol has demonstrated over his long tenure an inability to grasp this basis life concept. Another species that didn't adapt too well were dinosaurs.

Hakstol may be a fine recruiter and may have a good hockey mind, but maybe he's stuck in ego for being unwilling or unable to change strategies on-the-fly: "If we change our gameplan, it means maybe it wasn't the right one we've been working on all week or maybe the other team's original gameplan is better than our's. That would be admitting a deficiency." I dunno why he doesn't change strategies during the course of games, just speculating.

And yes, other high-end programs would not tolerate such a long drought. Think the Alabama head coach would last over 10 years without a national championship? No, because they have a culture of winning and their fans EXPECT it. UND fans have become complacent over the years if this is the model they accept. A model of being fine with winning regular seasons but not national championships. Maybe the fluoride level is extraordinarily high in the GF water supply & it's shut down its residents' higher thought processes? And then for those who want Hakstol to remain: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results every time. I know, a little cliche, but appropriate.

I will say one thing for Hakstol: he presents a good image for the program. Meaning, he's a sharp-looking guy and he says all the right things about the program and what he expects. In other words, he's a good front man, reminds me of a politician, and maybe this is a (very) small reason he's kept aside from his huge contractual obligation.

And if Miami were to get into the tournament after a total crap season just by winning 2 playoff games at the end, while UND does not after scratching and clawing all year and almost winning the regular season title, would not seem fair at all.

• Upvote 1

We'll it is late and I'm going to bed. I think my wife is still awake - even if UND can't score, maybe I still can. Wish me luck.

Well played....... :)

UND needs luck to get in today. Did you?? ;)

Now that I slept off some frustration...........

Bad ice, bad bounces, bad officiating and worst puck luck for UND since 1963...excuses,excuses...plain and simple.

With the pro UND crowd this was essentially a home game. UND completely outplayed Miami for 80% of the first 2 periods. Soft goal for #1. Back breaker with seconds left in 2nd period on goal 2. 3rd period Miami just packed it in and zero adjustments were made to counter that.

Parks and Mark Mac miss WIDE open nets and Rocco stopped on doorstep. Not bad luck but lack of skill. These 3 "scorers" aren't finishers...never have been.

Hak continues to shove square peg in round hole. Zero adjustments made at any point. Hockey in its simplest form is creating time and space with the puck in all 3 zones. If I gave a dollar for every time this season we blindly chipped it off the walls or glass I would have run out of money by mid January. Hak is no Belicheck. He is a good coach...not great...albeit stubborn in his ways to a fault.

UND needs 3 cherries to come up on the wheel today to get into the NCAAs. Place your bets...but as I mentioned above I'm out of money!!

• Upvote 3

SLU Friday=last night.

Time for another team meeting.

Appeared to be 4 crappy teams in this tourney. Worst day of playoff hockey I've seen. Have to watch an NHL game to remember how hockey is actually played.

Well anything could happen your right. You could also win the lottery but realistically that isn't going to happen. Listen I would be thrilled if it was the case but I just don't think so.

UND 3-4 in last 7 with 4 total goals in those 4 losses.

Anyone know what this team's issue is in crunch time this last month?? Clue...2 missed wide, wide open net opportunities last night.

Now that I slept off some frustration...........

Bad ice, bad bounces, bad officiating and worst puck luck for UND since 1963...excuses,excuses...plain and simple.

With the pro UND crowd this was essentially a home game. UND completely outplayed Miami for 80% of the first 2 periods. Soft goal for #1. Back breaker with seconds left in 2nd period on goal 2. 3rd period Miami just packed it in and zero adjustments were made to counter that.

Parks and Mark Mac miss WIDE open nets and Rocco stopped on doorstep. Not bad luck but lack of skill. These 3 "scorers" aren't finishers...never have been.

Hak continues to shove square peg in round hole. Zero adjustments made at any point. Hockey in its simplest form is creating time and space with the puck in all 3 zones. If I gave a dollar for every time this season we blindly chipped it off the walls or glass I would have run out of money by mid January. Hak is no Belicheck. He is a good coach...not great...albeit stubborn in his ways to a fault.

UND needs 3 cherries to come up on the wheel today to get into the NCAAs. Place your bets...but as I mentioned above I'm out of money!!

Dave Starman commented on that last night also that ND had to get off the walls and get to the center of the ice. What is frustrating is they might have an easy outlet pass but it is ingrained in them hard off the glass or wall and chase down the puck again, rinse repeat.