SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. MIAMI OH - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Enough with the fire Hak talk. Sure he is responsible for getting these guys in a position to win. But why are so many people complaining about Hak and giving the players a pass. It is the players that are on the ice. It is the players that are skating on the ice, make the hits, make the passes, and score the goals. Hak doesn't fail to clear the puck on a power play which results in a goal. Hak didn't miss two wide open nets. Hak doesn't make bad passes which lead to goals. If they don't produce, like last night, why is it the coaches fault? We lost. I get it. We are all pissed. But there are more people to blame for the loss than Hak.

On mornings like this I wish Al Gore hadn't invented the internet. Also twitter, facebook, and all other social sites should be instantly nuked. typing with thumbs on touchscreen, nuts. doing it while drunk, even more nuts

happy, happy, happy I didn't have to sit within earshot of what I've heard some Sioux fans were chanting loudly; you all really do need a happier life.

• Upvote 2

Enough with the fire Hak talk. Sure he is responsible for getting these guys in a position to win. But why are so many people complaining about Hak and giving the players a pass. It is the players that are on the ice. It is the players that are skating on the ice, make the hits, make the passes, and score the goals. Hak doesn't fail to clear the puck on a power play which results in a goal. Hak didn't miss two wide open nets. Hak doesn't make bad passes which lead to goals. If they don't produce, like last night, why is it the coaches fault? We lost. I get it. We are all pissed. But there are more people to blame for the loss than Hak.

but you forget who puts in the systems, the hard off the glass or wall every time or the endless cycling after you dump the puck in, or pulling off the forecheck when your up by two goals all these things Hak is responsible for. Hak is playing not to lose not trying to win.

Exactly. A lot of fans deal with defeat by ignoring the reality of the present moment and focusing instead on next season. It makes dealing with defeat today a lot easier. If they lived in the present, and even went back 10+ years, they would realize that the hockey program has underperformed and not lived up to its expectations and the expectations of its fans. And that's not a comfortable feeling, so let's put on some blinders and focus on next season instead, after all, we were young this year and next year we've got some promising recruits coming in ... And some might think that by firing Hakstol you're firing a quality guy with the right intentions. Well, he may be the nicest guy with the purest of intentions in the metropolis that is GF, but that certainly isn't hanging banners at the Ralph now, is it?

The one thing I take away from Hakstol's coaching style is that, from what I've read here, he refuses or is unable to make in-game adjustments. If anything, that's one thing a coach needs to do if things aren't going as planned. Sure, if you're winning 5-0, no need to change anything. But if you get into a national tournament game, fall behind a couple goals and lose the game because you didn't want to deviate from the original gameplan, it makes ZERO sense. I can't comprehend that stunted kind of thinking. Not just in games, but in life in general. If any person refuses to make adjustments in their life when it's needed, negative results smack them in the face. Yet Hakstol has demonstrated over his long tenure an inability to grasp this basis life concept. Another species that didn't adapt too well were dinosaurs.

Hakstol may be a fine recruiter and may have a good hockey mind, but maybe he's stuck in ego for being unwilling or unable to change strategies on-the-fly: "If we change our gameplan, it means maybe it wasn't the right one we've been working on all week or maybe the other team's original gameplan is better than our's. That would be admitting a deficiency." I dunno why he doesn't change strategies during the course of games, just speculating.

And yes, other high-end programs would not tolerate such a long drought. Think the Alabama head coach would last over 10 years without a national championship? No, because they have a culture of winning and their fans EXPECT it. UND fans have become complacent over the years if this is the model they accept. A model of being fine with winning regular seasons but not national championships. Maybe the fluoride level is extraordinarily high in the GF water supply & it's shut down its residents' higher thought processes? And then for those who want Hakstol to remain: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results every time. I know, a little cliche, but appropriate.

I will say one thing for Hakstol: he presents a good image for the program. Meaning, he's a sharp-looking guy and he says all the right things about the program and what he expects. In other words, he's a good front man, reminds me of a politician, and maybe this is a (very) small reason he's kept aside from his huge contractual obligation.

And if Miami were to get into the tournament after a total crap season just by winning 2 playoff games at the end, while UND does not after scratching and clawing all year and almost winning the regular season title, would not seem fair at all.

Dinosaurs weren't a single species.

How bout that 6 on 4 power play last night? Players brings puck into offensive zone and chips it behind the net to a waiting Miami defensemen. The pp looked good the first time last night and then after that looked like a damn penalty kill. And for the fire Hakstol crew, he didn't miss a wide open net that would be Mark

Do the boys have to shoulder some blame for last night and others? Absolutely... They played an extremely sloppy and at times lazy games. But ultimately it comes down to the coach.... you can't fire players. Hak picked these kids and it's his job to get them motivated and ready to play. In big games. Hell, every night in my opinion. Hak has proven that in big games he has an unwillingness or scarier yet, an inability to make mid-game changes. And the fact that some of the guys just go through the motions on huge game nights really pi$$es me off... it should do the same to Hak.

I think what many are talking about is that hakstol provides the structure and systems by which the team plays and don't like what he is having them do. However, you are absolutely correct in that the players must still perform and they have failed terribly on many occasions this season.

I think what many are talking about is that hakstol provides the structure and systems by which the team plays and don't like what he is having them do. However, you are absolutely correct in that the players must still perform and they have failed terribly on many occasions this season.

Is UND's "system" new? It's not like these kids don't know the style of play coming in.

You've been saying this for a decade on here. Are you ever going to want RESULTS? Or do you just love the THOUGHT of being good some day. I'm guessing the latter.

I guess all i'd say to that is if you thought this roster was going to be top 10 in the nation and a frozen four team, you're delusional. You could see it from a mile away that this was somewhat of a rebuilding year, de-commits being the main reason why. i'm not a blind Hakstol apologist but i do go defending a bit because some of the things spewed here are ridiculous. This board has too many "great hockey minds" talking about systems and chipping the puck off the glass. Yes, Starman was correct in saying they needed to get off the wall and to the middle. well, the fact was that the players couldn't get there. Miami shut them down and forced everything outside. Is that coaching or that maybe these guys just aren't good enough? Oshie, Toews, Frattin, etc.. could've won a championship with you behind the bench, but they didn't.

I guess all i'd say to that is if you thought this roster was going to be top 10 in the nation and a frozen four team, you're delusional. You could see it from a mile away that this was somewhat of a rebuilding year, de-commits being the main reason why. i'm not a blind Hakstol apologist but i do go defending a bit because some of the things spewed here are ridiculous. This board has too many "great hockey minds" talking about systems and chipping the puck off the glass. Yes, Starman was correct in saying they needed to get off the wall and to the middle. well, the fact was that the players couldn't get there. Miami shut them down and forced everything outside. Is that coaching or that maybe these guys just aren't good enough. Hey, Oshie, Toews, Frattin, etc.. could've won a championship with you behind the bench, but they didn't.

I've been saying this all year. This team isn't that good. They just aren't. They lack scoring ability and have to rely on guys that in years past would have been fourth liners to score goals. Grimaldi is the only forward with a lot of elite skills but he can't get the puck in the net. There are too many people who treat the hockey team like the NDSUs football team is treated in Fargo. Not every player that laces em up for UND is automatically elite. A lot of people on here need to be real for once and realize that we need better forwards to do anything in march.

I guess all i'd say to that is if you thought this roster was going to be top 10 in the nation and a frozen four team, you're delusional. You could see it from a mile away that this was somewhat of a rebuilding year, de-commits being the main reason why. i'm not a blind Hakstol apologist but i do go defending a bit because some of the things spewed here are ridiculous. This board has too many "great hockey minds" talking about systems and chipping the puck off the glass. Yes, Starman was correct in saying they needed to get off the wall and to the middle. well, the fact was that the players couldn't get there. Miami shut them down and forced everything outside. Is that coaching or that maybe these guys just aren't good enough? Oshie, Toews, Frattin, etc.. could've won a championship with you behind the bench, but they didn't.

Well said, I didn't think it, but I sure hoped, cheered and dreamed for it. I want a championship, but not enough to engage in embarrassing behavior on a message board. As much pride as I have in the program, I am becoming embarrassed of the fans on this website. I actually hope most fans do not behave like this, but hearing the crowd taunting the coach last night was very embarrassing. Stay classy Sioux fans.

• Upvote 1

Well said, I didn't think it, but I sure hoped, cheered and dreamed for it. I want a championship, but not enough to engage in embarrassing behavior on a message board. As much pride as I have in the program, I am becoming embarrassed of the fans on this website. I actually hope most fans do not behave like this, but hearing the crowd taunting the coach last night was very embarrassing. Stay classy Sioux fans.

Couldn't agree more!

Again as many have stated...you see any adjustments to counter act any of those factors you mentioned above??

Didn't think so...............

Not playing dump and chase would be one adjustment ... both teams have to deal with ice conditions and rink issues, not just one. At least we had a fan base there, more than Miami anyway. Bottom line is they just didn't get it done. Better come to work today though!

I like how we never ever ever changed our play. :(. Miami didn't quit moving their legs for sixty minutes. On the penalty kill they constantly pressured us, and even in all aspects of the game, nothing but pressure. Just quick quick play with little thought in anything Miami did. That's how BC plays as well as many other teams and it'll kill us every time as it forces us to make tons of mistakes, especially as a young team entering highly emotional games. The only way we can win without changing our game is to somehow push past or overcome the constant pressure and speed and play flawless hockey, along with a few HUGE saves from goth. Dump and chase, especially on the power play is so flipping annoying!!! You've seriously have to be kidding me. I cannot believe how we find a way to fail to move the puck in the zone, all the time! I do feel we will dominate tonight's game, however and wether we make the NCAAs or not, let's at least give ourselves a fighting chance! We have been so spoiled as a fan base for years, making it so hard to accept defeat. I think everyone out there understands this especially the team, so let's get this sh$& done!

its an anonymous message board, not a work xmas party...embarrassing...eh, not so much.

nobody has any credibility, "great hockey minds", blah, blah, blah

hockey is not intellectually hard...

I did not hear the fire Hak chant last night- although he deserves criticism for the egg that was laid. What's worse than losing is losing with no opportunity to win. We did not play entertaining hockey. We did not play SIoux hockey.

Wanting to fire your coach is not embarrassing in my estimation either. He's the figurehead of the program, gets paid a risk premium, its his neck.

its an anonymous message board, not a work xmas party...embarrassing...eh, not so much.

nobody has any credibility, "great hockey minds", blah, blah, blah

hockey is not intellectually hard...

I did not hear the fire Hak chant last night- although he deserves criticism for the egg that was laid. What's worse than losing is losing with no opportunity to win. We did not play entertaining hockey. We did not play SIoux hockey.

Wanting to fire your coach is not embarrassing in my estimation either. He's the figurehead of the program, gets paid a risk premium, its his neck.

True but want to fire someone needs to have reasonable support, firing someone who has won at least 20 games every season seems bit premature to me, even without the national title. Throw in the Frozen fours, league championships, and final five tourney wins, and he has a pretty accomplished resume. If we need to call this a down season, I'm ok with that. This is the same chatter gopher fans were having the year or two where they missed the NCAA tourney, and I don't think they were even this successful when that happened. They stuck with Don, and they have a top team in the country with loads of talent. We have a great deal of incoming talent.

Do I expect more of Hak, sure ... but to call for his head with his production is asinine. Nobody can seem to produce a name that would be a legitimate replace, that would maintain Haks productions. You want a better coach, one needs to be available.

True but want to fire someone needs to have reasonable support, firing someone who has won at least 20 games every season seems bit premature to me, even without the national title. Throw in the Frozen fours, league championships, and final five tourney wins, and he has a pretty accomplished resume. If we need to call this a down season, I'm ok with that. This is the same chatter gopher fans were having the year or two where they missed the NCAA tourney, and I don't think they were even this successful when that happened. They stuck with Don, and they have a top team in the country with loads of talent. We have a great deal of incoming talent.

Do I expect more of Hak, sure ... but to call for his head with his production is asinine. Nobody can seem to produce a name that would be a legitimate replace, that would maintain Haks productions. You want a better coach, one needs to be available.

I want to know what he's going to do differently going forward. I would love to hear his plan.

The system sucks. Not only is it not working, it isn't very fun to watch.

His system had great success with ELITE talent- play a system that avoids opportunities to screw up, then let the God given talents of Travis Zajac, Drew Stafford, TJ Oshie, Jonathan Toews, Matt Frattin, etc. score a couple goals.

You have to play fast and on your toes- FORWARD, not backward, not lateral, FORWARD with speed

For anyone that thinks Hak is at risk of being fired....just look what recently happened with mussman. It will take much more for faison to even consider letting Hak go.

Finally, someone makes a statement with some common sense. By all means, if there are some idiots that want him fired ... want away; but there are no ground upon which the University would let him go. I want a championship like everyone else, but I can appreciate a competitive team year in and year out. I'll take the over the 1 title we have seen Duluth paired with all their mediocre seasons.