SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. MIAMI OH - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

anyone else hear the guy chanting "fire hak" for the last two plus minutes???

Which makes most think of UND fans as morons. He has been more successful than most. Maybe Miami fans will chant to fire Blaisi if they are losing tomorrow. Or maybe the Gopher should fire Don because they lost tonight. All good coaches lose games ... ask Dean Blais, Red Berenson, Jerry York, Jack Parker Etc.

The difference, all those coaches have championships ... but they have also coached for many more years. Keep Hak in place, he will get one, and probably a few. It will happen.

• Upvote 1

Which makes most think of UND fans as morons. He has been more successful than most. Maybe Miami fans will chant to fire Blaisi if they are losing tomorrow. Or maybe the Gopher should fire Don because they lost tonight. All good coaches lose games ... ask Dean Blais, Red Berenson, Jerry York, Jack Parker Etc.

The difference, all those coaches have championships ... but they have also coached for many more years. Keep Hak in place, he will get one, and probably a few. It will happen.

Sorry, but those are all excuses and ring more hollow with each year that goes by.

this team can't score when it counts and no one should be surprised about tonights result as it has been the same story all year. they may catch a break and get into the tourney tomorrow but in reality it won't get out of next weekend even if it makes as they can't score. tonights loss had nothing to do with adjustments as again, they couldn't score.

lets just sleep it off tmw as many of us that are frustrated and pissed our team needs us but they can only help themselves the boys need to come out tmw ready to go lay it all on the ice boys its win or go home all out team effort tmw we can do this ALL HAIL THE SIOUX i wanna watch our team play next weekend whos with me

There is absolutely no reason a team with this amount of talent should be missing, or even close to missing, the NCAA tournament. Between the Ralph, the tradition, and the fan support, going since 2000 without a national championship is reason enough. But, watching this team underperform in critical games over and over is good enough reason.

Fire him.

Bring in Cary Eades.

I like Cary Eades, I wish they had kept him here over Berry. But for as many draft picks as this team has, they are not a high talent class. Most of these kids will probably never see NHL ice. This is not the high talent picks like Toews, Oshie, Parise, Stafford. It sounds like we may have some of those coming in next year, but a draft pick is only a number on paper. You only have to watch this team to realize this team does not have the talent we have seen over the last 10 years. Are they good, YES. Are they great, NO. A few more pieces to the puzzle and they could be. We have a strong defense ... a few top end scorers .. a Dzingel, a Czarnik, a Archibald ... you have a whole new outlook.

I don't want to turn this into a Hakstol debate thread, but name a coach with better results over the last decade that you will replace him with. To replace a coach, you need a better option.

Do I have a list of possible names to replace Hakstol? No, but again, it's not my job to hire coaches at UND. That is Brian Faison's job and he's done a good job of it in several sports (WBB, FB, VB). I imagine there are a good number of young, talented, ambitious coaches serving as college assistants or head coaches in the USHL or even at the high school level (Blais coached in HS to get head coaching experience). That is what is needed here, a young coach on the rise looking for his first big break in the business. And I imagine Faison and his staff could assemble a pretty solid list of prospects.

Of course, I would rather have Hakstol lead us to an NCAA title and put an end to all this garbage, because I honestly am sick and tired of talking about it. But with each passing choke job, I lose more faith in the idea that it will happen. And if this broken record continues, you'll see more empty seats in The Ralph like you did this year.

Sorry, but those are all excuses and ring more hollow with each year that goes by.

Believe whatever you want, but who do you want that has had more success than Hak? You want someone, then someone has to be available. Nobody is going to fire someone with Haks numbers. Can you imagine any other program firing a guy with Hak's numbers? It just doesn't make sense.

There were a lot of things outside our control tonight:

* The ice, which was worse than an outdoor game.

* The pucks, which seemed to be heated rather than frozen.

* The refereeing, which I won't expand on since others here have.

* The bounces, and Miami got some. And we had the worst puck luck I've seen in 40 years of watching UND hockey.

BUT ... what I am most disappointed at, is that we didn't seem to adapt to the conditions. This game needed to be played like an outdoor game. "Everything on net, everything on net" both Crosby and Toews said to their benches 2 minutes into the outdoor game at Soldier Field this month. We never made that adjustment.

The only adaptation I could see was that we were extra cautious getting the puck back to the points, but beyond that, no readily-apparent strategies that you expect in a game with bad ice, bad boards, and bad pucks. All of which were the same for both teams.

In my opinion, this was a failure of leadership up and down the bench.

=====================================================

Setting aside my rant for the moment, we still should have won the game, except for the worst puck luck I've seen in 40 years.

* Multiple posts and crossbars. Some on wide open nets.

* Multiple pucks fired behind the goalie and across the goal mouth.

* Rebounds where the bounce went 6 inches away from where a goal would have been scored.

All of which made this a painful, PAINFUL game to be a fan. I can only imagine how hard it was to be in the UND locker room tonight.

Gretzky said "hockey is a funny game". It sure was tonight.

Has anyone found a scenario on CHN where we make the tournament? I tried and couldn't find any way we finish above 15 in the pairwise.

15 won,t do it. With miami or Denver guaranteed a spot, will have to be at worst #14 and even that might not be enough if there are any upsets tomorrow.

I agree. The advantages he has had far outweigh those of his predecessors. No more excuses. Get rid of him. Set up a search committee. Then, if warranted, hire Cary Eades.

• Upvote 1

Believe whatever you want, but who do you want that has had more success than Hak? You want someone, then someone has to be available. Nobody is going to fire someone with Haks numbers. Can you imagine any other program firing a guy with Hak's numbers? It just doesn't make sense.

I gave you an answer http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/19368-sioux-vs-miami-oh-friday-gameday/page__st__320#entry696542 and you chose not to acknowledge it. At some point, championships need to matter around here again. Some people think they are "nice to have, but not all that important in the big picture". I do not agree with that. To each their own.

Win tomorrow and Lowell, Union and Wisconsin win

The calculator must have changed on me or something because when I was doing it earlier I couldn't find a way we finished at 14. I went back and did it again and now the Colgate game doesn't even make a difference. We only need Lowell and Wisconsin to win plus us obviously.

We shouldn't loose any players in the off season to the nhl because I don't think they'd want any of them after this years preformance

I think Florida might want Grimaldi to leave because his development seems to have stalled here. I love watching him play, but I'm not sure if he is any better now than when he came in and Florida may want to shake something up with his development.

this team can't score when it counts and no one should be surprised about tonights result as it has been the same story all year. they may catch a break and get into the tourney tomorrow but in reality it won't get out of next weekend even if it makes as they can't score. tonights loss had nothing to do with adjustments as again, they couldn't score.

It had everything to do with adjustment. Miami was playing teriffic D, and prevent us from getting quality shots, we did nothing to change that.