SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. WESTERN MICHIGAN

AZSIOUX

I hope you all are right in CC taking a game this weekend against St. Cloud because up until last weekend you're right-they had been playing pretty good hockey but then they laid two eggs against Omaha, Friday in particular was really bad. Saturday, a better effort until the last minute of the 3rd and 55 seconds into OT....they played scared.

Yup, well put. That's one reason why I never really care what our "draw" is in the regionals because we are going to have beat some good teams no matter what, might as well earn it. I kind of doubt anyone outside of Yale fans had Yale coming out of our region last year.

I don't think any of the Yale fans had Yale in that regional. :whistling:

I'd personally like UND to get into a tough regional. SCSU probably had the toughest draw out of all the WCHA teams last year, and earned their way to the frozen four having to play good hockey against pretty good teams.

I'd love a UND-Minnesota matchup in St. Paul. Although the way the seedings are playing out I'm guessing St. Cloud is a 2 at that regional and Minnesota is a 1.

Should we almost hope for a first round loss in the conference tourney? Fresh legs for the real tournament could do us well for once.

I guess it's the argument of being hot going into the tournament versus being rested going into the tournament.....

I'd like to see UND and SCSU both win on Friday night as well. That'll make it all that much sweeter when UND sweeps WMU on Saturday while CC takes St Cloud out behind the woodshed. :lol:

Not me, I wanna see SCSU lose Friday with a Sioux win. Put the pressure on them for Saturday, and have UNO and them battle it out for 2nd place.

Should we almost hope for a first round loss in the conference tourney? Fresh legs for the real tournament could do us well for once.

Depending on what happens this weekend, we are not a lock to make the tournament, especially if we got swept in the 1st round NCHC.

Not me, I wanna see SCSU lose Friday with a Sioux win. Put the pressure on them for Saturday, and have UNO and them battle it out for 2nd place.

There'd still be pressure on both teams on Saturday, though. If SCSU loses Friday and the Sioux win, but then Saturday is the opposite, we still tie for league champion (but yes, we get the #1 seed in the tournament). I want the trophy outright.

I think you always take good play into the tournament rather than rest if at all possible, especially in hockey. I can just imagine a struggling goalie with 2 weeks to think about how bad he played compared to a hot goalie with usual rest, I would take the latter. Remember several times UND had to play 3 games at the final five, that was a gauntlet. This time the conference tourney will be 2 games at max, just another weekend except you hopefully get a trophy at the end of it!

• Upvote 1

Just remember all the tournaments we came into on fire after rolling through the end of the regular season and the final five only to fizzle after a game or two in the real tournament. I'd like to be on a roll but coming off of a frustrating loss that gives the team time to rest up.

Wow....and here I thought I was the biggest pessimist on this forum :)

I'm not counting the chickens before they hatch. I find that many people on this forum are subject to huge fluctuations in their attitude. Some that were saying the Sioux would have to win the NCHC tournament and there wasn't much hope for the team, are the same ones that consider the Sioux a lock for the tournament, and are now pretty brash. I'm convinced that is why many get so mad at Hakstol, because he gets their confidence up, and then hasn't ultimately cashed the check that their mouths write.

some have mentioned that UND is lock at this point. that is not the case by any stretch. 6 conferences, six upset tourney winners and you will need to be in the top 10 to get an at large bid.

Extremely unlikely that a non-top 16 pairwise winner will come out of the Hockey East or Big 10 conferences.

It is a lock for Atlantic Hockey

It is possible for NCHC and for WCHA and ECAC

I would say that top 12/13 in PWR is safe.

Now are we safely secured in 12/13? Not yet...getting closer...a sweep of western should just about do it.

Just remember all the tournaments we came into on fire after rolling through the end of the regular season and the final five only to fizzle after a game or two in the real tournament. I'd like to be on a roll but coming off of a frustrating loss that gives the team time to rest up.

Like last year? We lost a frustrating play-in game and still didn't win it all and were out-skated by the eventual National Champions, the Yale Bulldogs.

BC has won National Titles in 2001, 2008, 2010, & 2012. Guess what else they did every single one of those years? Won the conference tournament.

In other words, the argument that the team won't have their legs under them because they roll through the tournament doesn't hold much water.

In the past 10 yrs or so I have gone to every F5 & the F4 in St Paul. I have kinda learned to try & enjoy it one game at a time & when we have lost remember what it took to get there. That is hard but we have nice weather soon after so it's easy to shift to new things. It has to be luck that gets someone a Natty. All we can do is pray real hard to the Hockey Gods or does anyone have any other Mo-Jo ideas other than fire Hak ?

Like last year? We lost a frustrating play-in game and still didn't win it all and were out-skated by the eventual National Champions, the Yale Bulldogs.

BC has won National Titles in 2001, 2008, 2010, & 2012. Guess what else they did every single one of those years? Won the conference tournament.

In other words, the argument that the team won't have their legs under them because they roll through the tournament doesn't hold much water.

Where did BC have to travel in their regionals?

In the past 10 yrs or so I have gone to every F5 & the F4 in St Paul. I have kinda learned to try & enjoy it one game at a time & when we have lost remember what it took to get there. That is hard but we have nice weather soon after so it's easy to shift to new things. It has to be luck that gets someone a Natty. All we can do is pray real hard to the Hockey Gods or does anyone have any other Mo-Jo ideas other than fire Hak ?

Well....the team is undefeated when I'm in attendance. Haven't seen them lose yet this year (including road games). So they might want to reserve a spot for me on the charter to guarantee a Natty this year!

Bleach their hair?

Where did BC have to travel in their regional?

As much as I agree that there is a certain advantage that BC(and other East Coast teams) enjoy for not having to travel for regionals, what does that have to do with your assertion that a frustrating loss would help this team going into the tournament?

I was simply pointing out that BC was able to win their conference tournament the past 4 times they won a national championship. So it would appear that playing(winning) more games does not hurt teams come NCAA tournament time.