SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

My comment wasn't about the twins specifically, or about whether I think Bubba should focus more of high risk kids in Florida.

It is my opinion, after reading Bubba's comments on his recruiting philosophy thus far, that putting more focus on high risk recruits in Florida doesn't fit with that philosophy.

I could certainly be wrong.

That is my point.  There are "high risk" kids in N. Dak., Minn., Wisco, and Manitoba too.  Coaches need to assess the risk based on the kid.  Certainly kids that far away from home have factors that don't come into play if you are from Gilby. I get your point, but if you an FCS school you are likely going to consider kids who may have some academic concerns or come from dysfunctional families or may have had some legal or discipline issues in the past.  I get your point and I agree with your assessment of the general philosophy of the staff, but athletics do provide an avenue for some kids to overcome their disadvantages or past mistakes and the coaches will need to decide if we have the resources to help that group of kids no matter where they come from. Chapell didn't last and he was from GF. Maybe one of the biggest disappointments as far as lost potential we have ever had.  Florida kids who can play FB, succeed in school and be a success after college would be a great additions. 

Every coaching staff takes a risk on recruiting "kids",because,really,thats what they are, Kids.

Some coaches do not recruit in inner city or latin(in Miami, especially)communities.Others coaches won't get out of there. I am a person who would take a chance on someone who I feel can make me better. If it doesn't workout, let him go. Not all risk are bad. UMiami got rid of a highly touted qb yesterday whose brother played for Miami,TE Greg Olsen. The brother got suspended for the 3rdtime and they told him, leave or you are gone. And he supposedly wasn't a risk. You never know. I'm not here saying change the recruiting strategy,I'm just saying try and you will be surprised.

My son is 17, early graduate, defending 8a state champ in Fl, starting fullback. He has interest from Cincinatti, Kentucky, Wagner, FIU. these are the kids that will help a team. He's 5'11' weighs 220. Everybody wants a 6'2" 235. But trust me, the 5"11 kids will work harder because they have more to prove. If not ask Sprowles. Example if UND offered today, my son would commit. These kids just want to play.

BTW UND 13 SB 10 or maybe even sb 17 UND 14

Thanks for letting me part of such a good board. GO SIOUXXX

That is my point.  There are "high risk" kids in N. Dak., Minn., Wisco, and Manitoba too.  Coaches need to assess the risk based on the kid.  Certainly kids that far away from home have factors that don't come into play if you are from Gilby. I get your point, but if you an FCS school you are likely going to consider kids who may have some academic concerns or come from dysfunctional families or may have had some legal or discipline issues in the past.  I get your point and I agree with your assessment of the general philosophy of the staff, but athletics do provide an avenue for some kids to overcome their disadvantages or past mistakes and the coaches will need to decide if we have the resources to help that group of kids no matter where they come from. Chapell didn't last and he was from GF. Maybe one of the biggest disappointments as far as lost potential we have ever had.  Florida kids who can play FB, succeed in school and be a success after college would be a great additions. 

I agree.

John Crockett was brought up as an example of that here recently.  He's the type of academic risk I think we are talking about here, and that risk paid off for the ac.

Every coaching staff takes a risk on recruiting "kids",because,really,thats what they are, Kids.

Some coaches do not recruit in inner city or latin(in Miami, especially)communities.Others coaches won't get out of there. I am a person who would take a chance on someone who I feel can make me better. If it doesn't workout, let him go. Not all risk are bad. UMiami got rid of a highly touted qb yesterday whose brother played for Miami,TE Greg Olsen. The brother got suspended for the 3rdtime and they told him, leave or you are gone. And he supposedly wasn't a risk. You never know. I'm not here saying change the recruiting strategy,I'm just saying try and you will be surprised.

My son is 17, early graduate, defending 8a state champ in Fl, starting fullback. He has interest from Cincinatti, Kentucky, Wagner, FIU. these are the kids that will help a team. He's 5'11' weighs 220. Everybody wants a 6'2" 235. But trust me, the 5"11 kids will work harder because they have more to prove. If not ask Sprowles. Example if UND offered today, my son would commit. These kids just want to play.

BTW UND 13 SB 10 or maybe even sb 17 UND 14

Thanks for letting me part of such a good board. GO SIOUXXX

Kevin Olsen I believe was even a top 10 QB out of high school and probably would have started at the beginning of this season for Miami if not for the incidents mentioned. They all seem to be alcohol related and I wonder with him withdrawing from school he might need to get some help and after that maybe head to a JUCO to try to reboot his career.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1416803/highlights/74164376

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2013515/highlights/162850375

I coached these boy's in MS and would like to here some opinions on them.  I have an opinion but knowing the boys makes me a little bias. 

I'm no QB coach, but:  Harfield looks to be really promising. Here's what I noticed right away. Height: at 6'7" he's obviously got no problem seeing the field. Arm: It's hard to really judge arm strength from these videos, but he looks to have a solid combination of strength to zip it in when necessary and touch to drop it in on the longer passes. Most impressed with: Pocket poise. So many young and mobile QBs panic when pressured and immediately look to run. He is mobile enough to get out of trouble at this level, but looks to find space to pass. This is a kid that gets it - he'll make more plays with his arm than his legs.

Concern:  6'7" and 191 pounds - he's going to have to beef up. Somebody might break him in half if he doesn't. That's an issue that's easily fixed, though, once he's on a college workout program and schedule.

Mayock:  Again, hard to judge on the video, but he doesn't look to have blazing speed. He does seem to have a knack for getting open, though, and shows great ability to focus on the ball and come down with it in traffic. He's a kid that coaches would definitely want to see in camps - although I'm sure he's been to some already as a '15 grad.

I'm no QB coach, but:  Harfield looks to be really promising. Here's what I noticed right away. Height: at 6'7" he's obviously got no problem seeing the field. Arm: It's hard to really judge arm strength from these videos, but he looks to have a solid combination of strength to zip it in when necessary and touch to drop it in on the longer passes. Most impressed with: Pocket poise. So many young and mobile QBs panic when pressured and immediately look to run. He is mobile enough to get out of trouble at this level, but looks to find space to pass. This is a kid that gets it - he'll make more plays with his arm than his legs.

Concern:  6'7" and 191 pounds - he's going to have to beef up. Somebody might break him in half if he doesn't. That's an issue that's easily fixed, though, once he's on a college workout program and schedule.

Mayock:  Again, hard to judge on the video, but he doesn't look to have blazing speed. He does seem to have a knack for getting open, though, and shows great ability to focus on the ball and come down with it in traffic. He's a kid that coaches would definitely want to see in camps - although I'm sure he's been to some already as a '15 grad.

I'd like to see them both put on 30-40 pounds.  Mayock has the height to be a TE.

Kolt to my knowledge only has one offer, but I think Luke has several.  It is really amazing to see how far they have come and developed. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1416803/highlights/74164376

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2013515/highlights/162850375

I coached these boy's in MS and would like to here some opinions on them.  I have an opinion but knowing the boys makes me a little bias. 

Where do they go to school?  QB seems to thread the needle pretty well and his height would be a big advantage.  Throws pretty well on the run and can use his feet to get out of trouble, but doesn't bail out of the pocket too soon.

Couldn't agree more - successful programs at our level ususally have some kids that are playing FCS because of some issues (Crockett for example).  I think what really makes a difference is the culture of the team they come to - and I think this was Muss's biggest weakness.  If you come into a structured program with leaders it can help some kids tremendously.  They can be part of a team that helps and takes care of them, but has some standards.  Some kids can be very successful on and off the field with this.  If you come to a program where the talented kids think little of the program and there is a culture where you can dick around on the sidelines or quit the team several times and be allowed back (looking at you , Muss), then you get what we had the last several years.  Some great talents but no team.  With Bubba's new culture, I think we are in position to get some Florida and California kids and have them be stars.  I think that in the past when they have not been successful here it said as much or more about our FB culture than the kids.  

Looks like a very good athlete. I'd like to see him throw from the pocket more to see how his feet are. He can throw on the run really well which would work well in our offense. Anyone else see a Phillip Rivers type release?

Here is some pocket throws from Elite 11 and one of the most recent games. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/146012375

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/163601377

So I was looking at this today what do we think the breakdown of positions will be in this recruiting class.  Obviously we are in the stage where we will take the best available players but what are our positions of need.  My best guess is something like this:

i QB (because its always nice to have competition here)

2-3 RB (Sharp, Simmons, Oliviera so maybe a more of a speed back next?)

1 WR (More of a Mcgill type player to team with Ferguson and Walker)

2-3 OL (Get guys that will fall into Bubba's system)

2-3 DL (Again get guys that will fall nicely into the new system) already have 4 so maybe good there?

3-4 LB's (should have a good core of guys coming back so we might now need any instant impact players)

4-5 DB's (This is a position group that purely needs to continue to get better, Tillman will be gone so some freshman but a drop down would be nice)

Anything else? Anything different? Again we still need better players as a whole but I think this last class is a pretty good start towards what we are aiming for.

So I was looking at this today what do we think the breakdown of positions will be in this recruiting class.  Obviously we are in the stage where we will take the best available players but what are our positions of need.  My best guess is something like this:

2-3 DL (Again get guys that will fall nicely into the new system) already have 4 so maybe good there?

3-4 LB's (should have a good core of guys coming back so we might now need any instant impact players)

4-5 DB's (This is a position group that purely needs to continue to get better, Tillman will be gone so some freshman but a drop down would be nice)

Anything else? Anything different? Again we still need better players as a whole but I think this last class is a pretty good start towards what we are aiming for.

I think a class that diverse would be fantastic!  We need depth at all positions, obviously some more than others. Good post.

4-5 OL and DL each.....no question in my opinion.

Needs 1 and 1a in this year's class.

Yesterday would have been an awesome day to have:

- defenders who like to run and play fast

- offensive linemen who want to play the first day on campus

in for a visit. They would've looked, seen, and signed immediately because they can see they'll get what they're looking for.