SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Night - UND vs. UBC

siouxforeverbaby

I guess the boyz forgot that winning is better than losing, regardless if if counts in the books or not. I don't expect this team to be playing deep into the playoffs. Talent? Skill?

That's if they even make it to the playoffs.

Big deal...UND couldn't beat UBC in an exhibition tilt. Minny also couldn't beat Colgate tonight, and Bucky couldn't beat Anchorage, and their games actually count.

I expect us to win games against an inferior opponent exhibition or not, regardless of what happened in Wisconsin. I can handle a first half loss to a team like St. Cloud State, Miami, etc but it's a little late in the season to still be looking for whatever this team is missing.

• Upvote 1

I wish I shared your positive attitude.

The team will be fine. Haven't even found their grove yet and halfway through the season the team is in the top half of the conference standings with a relatively favorable second half schedule.

Seriously, tonight's loss was AN EXHIBITION GAME!!

I expect us to win games against an inferior opponent exhibition or not, regardless of what happened in Wisconsin. I can handle a first half loss to a team like St. Cloud State, Miami, etc but it's a little late in the season to still be looking for whatever this team is missing.

If the team drops two of its next four regular season games against CC & BSU, get back to me. Otherwise, I am not concerned in the least after this exhibition trip to the NW.

The team will be fine. Haven't even found their grove yet and halfway through the season the team is in the top half of the conference standings with a relatively favorable second half schedule.

Seriously, tonight's loss was AN EXHIBITION GAME!!

Well, they skated their "A" team, yet lost to an inferior team (on paper). It doesn't matter if it's an exhibition or conference game. They lost.

This years team is extremely offensively challenged and it doesn't look promising for the rest of the season.

If they can't score they need to play sound defensively and get great goaltending...not even close right now on either of these items.

Can't remember a UND team in the last 15-20 years that had such little offensive skill in the forward lines.

If they want to get an auto berth into the NC$$ they can't afford to lose too many games in the second half. Given that the NCHC is pretty weak their best bet is to win the NCHC tourney. In the other seasons when they started slow you could at least have hope in the second half based on the talent that was on the team...this years team does not have that type of talent (or haven't shown it).

So how do u get a 18-22 year old kid pumped up for a game that doesn't count?

This years team is extremely offensively challenged and it doesn't look promising for the rest of the season.

If they can't score they need to play sound defensively and get great goaltending...not even close right now on either of these items.

Can't remember a UND team in the last 15-20 years that had such little offensive skill in the forward lines.

If they want to get an auto berth into the NC$$ they can't afford to lose too many games in the second half. Given that the NCHC is pretty weak their best bet is to win the NCHC tourney. In the other seasons when they started slow you could at least have hope in the second half based on the talent that was on the team...this years team does not have that type of talent (or haven't shown it).

Best chance to make the NCAA tourney is to take advantage of the 2nd half schedule, which I believe they will do.

Via Schlossman

Troy Stecher: We’re spoiled. We get to go to a Canucks game. We get wined-and-dined last night. We think we’re going to walk all over these guys. That was our first mistake and it cost us the game.

I like that he's not afraid to tell it like it is. Hopefully this loss serves as a little humble pie and the guys play a solid game tomorrow.

I don't care what anyone says this may be the most embarrassing loss in the history of the program. Sure no one will even hear about this however the UBC team looked so bad. They aren't even good in their league. UND should have dropped 8-9 goals on those guys. It really doesn't matter if this was an exhibition game…what just happened truly took place. UND had their full lineup. And to think, in that other thread there were posters getting all high and mighty thinking we should play a good CHL team. This UBC team has gotten beat up by everyone including Manitoba. Again, Hak and the boys surprise me that they cannot get up to put a beating on an inferior team. We're going on a few years here now.

• Upvote 3

It doesn't matter if it's an exhibition or conference game. They lost.

Sure it does. One counts and the other doesn't. ;)

I don't care what anyone says this may be the most embarrassing loss in the history of the program.

Thanks for that! I actually laughed out loud when I read that line. :D:)

Regardless of what happened tonight or what happens tomorrow, UND is still on a current 5-game win streak with a favorable 2nd half schedule coming up.

I would rather they blow off their holiday rust during an exhibition game than next weekend against CC when the games actually count.

I am not about to proclaim that they will win the conference or the national title or anything...heck, even making the playoffs is certainly no given at this point...but I certainly am not throwing in the towel as a fan yet just because they had an OT loss to a team in Canada.

• Upvote 2

So how do u get a 18-22 year old kid pumped up for a game that doesn't count?

You recruit kids that do not need to be "pumped up" to play hockey... For every lazy D1 player who doesn't want to give it his all every night there are 10 kids that would gladly take his place. Being a Sioux hockey player isn't a right, it's an honor. For those who don't want to skate hard, get the eff off the ice.

• Upvote 4

Well, they skated their "A" team, yet lost to an inferior team (on paper). It doesn't matter if it's an exhibition or conference game. They lost.

My issue was the way they lost and why they went up there in the first place. I watched the entire game….they played awful, actually they looked like the worst college hockey team I have ever witnessed. I seriously thought I was watching an NA game. I guarantee UAH would have went in there and beat them up pretty good. The reason they went up there was to showcase their skills….and were beat by a below average Canadian school. Now we have to play some club team today. I really wished they would have simply scheduled some good US teams…all this did was make college hockey look worse.

My prediction 5-4 OT UND win.

http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

Sure it does. One counts and the other doesn't. ;)

Thanks for that! I actually laughed out loud when I read that line. :D:)

Regardless of what happened tonight or what happens tomorrow, UND is still on a current 5-game win streak with a favorable 2nd half schedule coming up.

I would rather they blow off their holiday rust during an exhibition game than next weekend against CC when the games actually count.

I am not about to proclaim that they will win the conference or the national title or anything...heck, even making the playoffs is certainly no given at this point...but I certainly am not throwing in the towel as a fan yet just because they had an OT loss to a team in Canada.

Regarding your last paragraph, you are very right. We are on a 5 game win streak so the boys need to focus going forward. However, given the purpose of why they went up there in the first place it makes no sense to lay an egg…..their compete level was nil. Also, give me one other game in the last 25 years that was a worse loss than that? UBC is in second to last place in their league.

• Upvote 1