SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

... I like that he menitoned he has always kept a list of guys he's coached against and with to fill out his staff if he was ever a head coach again.

Did Schweigert's time at Duluth overlap Hoffner's stint at Mankato at all? For those of you in the know, who would be on Bubba's short list?

Did Schweigert's time at Duluth overlap Hoffner's stint at Mankato at all? For those of you in the know, who would be on Bubba's short list?

I figured we'd hear from gfhockey and his good 'ol boy network what the short list would be? Because as we've all heard....he is a well respected cog in the good 'ol boy network.

Hoffner was hired at Mankato at essentially the same time Lennon, Bubba, etc. went to SIU and Muss was promoted at UND. Ironically, Muss was considered somewhat of the favorite for the Mankato job had Lennon not left UND when he did.

I believe Hoffner and Bubba overlapped at UND, as Hoffner was a grad assistant here I believe. I think I asked that question in a different thread and that was what the answer was. I could be wrong.

SFI seems to believe that the DC will more than likely be Schmidt too. I just really hope our OC doesn't run some spread offense. I just want an offense like we used to run and Bubba seems to want that too.

The OC won't be running a up tempo air it out offense. Bubba's interview on 740 AM included him saying he wants a run-first offense that can create one-on-one match-ups on the outside. Also, with the explosiveness of the top offenses of the Big Sky, being able to control time of possession would also be important, Bubba mentioned.

I believe Hoffner and Bubba overlapped at UND, as Hoffner was a grad assistant here I believe. I think I asked that question in a different thread and that was what the answer was. I could be wrong.

Yes, as far as I can tell, I believe Hoffner and Bubba overlapped at UND in 1989-90. I think both were graduate assistants at the time. Bubba also would have coached against Hoffner in 06 and 07 when Bubba was head coach at UMD and Hoffner was OC at South Dakota. Hoffner's USD offenses were very good those years. Of course, he had a young Noah Shepard, which helped. Prior to USD, Hoffner was head coach at Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

I am all for the defense-first and ball control approach Bubba will be bringing back to UND. This is the championship recipe, just look at college football's two currently budding dynasties, Alabama and the Ag School. Control the line of scrimmage!

• Upvote 1

I am all for the defense-first and ball control approach Bubba will be bringing back to UND. This is the championship recipe, just look at college football's two currently budding dynasties, Alabama and the Ag School. Control the line of scrimmage!

Smash mouth football happens on both sides of the ball.

Smash mouth football happens on both sides of the ball.

Absolutely. And that is exactly what NDSU & Alabama do. They design their teams to win the line battles on both sides of the ball and then proceed to build their teams outwardly from there. UND will achieve a great level of success in the Big Sky/FCS if they are able to successfully implement the style of ball Bubba aims to.

Of course 'bama and UND have something in common:

Both displayed a major gaffe when they didn't play to the whistle in the special teams kicking game at some point during the season. :crazy:

And one of those gaffes cost a team a chance at a third consecutive national title.