SiouxSports.com Forum

Player Defections

bincitysioux

So we need a slam dunk hire that will that BRING IN (recruits and transfers over the years) more talent than we have lost/will lose.

IMO, Pflugrad is the only applicant which would fit that description. What would DeBoer's pitch be to potential FBS drop-downs? "Hey when I was HC at NAIA Sioux Falls, we beat an awful Muss-coached UND team..... so I'm pretty good." What would Bubba's pitch be? "I won a D2 championship as a DC over a decade ago and then went .500 as HC with a team that the next coach immediately won a championship with....... so come play for me and I'll make you the best you can be."

• Upvote 1

IMO, Pflugrad is the only applicant which would fit that description. What would DeBoer's pitch be to potential FBS drop-downs? "Hey when I was HC at NAIA Sioux Falls, we beat an awful Muss-coached UND team..... so I'm pretty good." What would Bubba's pitch be? "I won a D2 championship as a DC over a decade ago and then went .500 as HC with a team that the next coach immediately won a championship with....... so come play for me and I'll make you the best you can be."

Early playing time, the addition of a indoor practice field, playing in a dome, a top notch education that is respected nation wide, and playing in an established FCS conference. This job has a huge amount of opportunity to it and will be able to stay competitive recruiting regardless of the head coach

Early playing time, the addition of a indoor practice field, playing in a dome, a top notch education that is respected nation wide, and playing in an established FCS conference. This job has a huge amount of opportunity to it and will be able to stay competitive recruiting regardless of the head coach

The school and program can only do so much for recruiting. The ability of coaches to sell themselves to the players is more important than the offers of playing time and facilities. And let's be honest, most of these guys don't care about the academic programs.

Bubba could talk about his tie to the program. I've said it from the start, to me the hiring of the assistants is more key than the head coach. That is true especially if Bubba is the guy. He is here long term, he has strong ties to the program, strong ties to ND, SD and MN recruiting grounds and he brings discpline. Bubba used to be the man when recruiting ND. Ask a high school coach in ND about Coach Schweigert and they have nothing but positives. We need to get back to that.

I think that while not the sexy pick, the safeness of what you are getting with Bubba is ok with me. Now, if Bubba can bring an Eric Schmidt as a D cord and a big name O cord, we have something. Keep Freund on staff and things could be ok.

• Upvote 1

What do some have against Coach Schweigert? Is this a case of to be an expert you have to come from someplace else? Are folks here evaluating his coaching abilities or are they dismissing him mainly because he is from here?

My opinion is no one has anything against Schweigert. He is a guy who could have been named the head coach the day after the deadline and that is frustrating.

What do some have against Coach Schweigert? Is this a case of to be an expert you have to come from someplace else? Are folks here evaluating his coaching abilities or are they dismissing him mainly because he is from here?

No, I think we are reacting to the idea that he should be head coach mainly because he is from here. When you have a successful program getting a steady guy with local ties to keep things going can be a great idea (see NDSU). We need a major reboot and need to expand our thinking. If he didn't have any local connection, what about Bubba's record makes you think he can rebuild this program. He was a successful DII coordinator at a successful program, a .500 coach in two DII seasons, and an average DI coordinator at an average DI program. If after a lengthy national search by an AD who many here consider to have it all together this is the best resume we have then I think we are in trouble in more ways than one.

My opinion is no one has anything against Schweigert. He is a guy who could have been named the head coach the day after the deadline and that is frustrating.

Exactly! I am not against Bubba as our coach but I am against waiting so long and leaving the players filled with uncertainty. If they hire him after this long wait I want answers as to why.

I just want a guy that has leadership and the ability to recruit. I'd say both Schweigert and DeBoer know how to win championships since they've done it as a coordinator and head coach, respectively. Then again, we had our other coordinator from 2001 takeover the program and look how that turned out. For that reason I'm starting to lean towards DeBoer since he won titles as a head coach. I still would prefer a surprise hire of someone with FBS experience, but doesn't look like that'll happen.

I gotta bad feeling its gonna be a jail break of departures in fr, rsfr classes. Liow moral, many biutt kicking during seaon, not allowed on sidelines during game, no coach/discipline, home sick, weather, young enuf to start over closer to home, etc, etc, etc, I am old school. But the kids these days are different. Can't say stick it out for und pride. Just wont work with these kids/environment. Jmho

Shouldn't be mass exodus but seniors and team leaders if they are leaders will be pulling this group together. There is always risk for freshmen and anyone not playing regularly. Whomever decided to have the freshmen red shirts sit in stands during game made a poor decision. If it came from Faison and I were Mussman I would have said that is my decision and they stay. I would have been willing to get fired over that issue. I was at those home games where someone saw some guys screwing around when we were losing a game and there are better ways to deal with that. The McKesson kid who was the walk on from San Diego who I thought showed some potential is leaving. If these guys aren't made to part of the program by the coaches and teammates the we lose some potential players. There are walk-ons at all levels of college fb ho end up starters and sometimes stars. Some of those guys never start but can remain part of team and there contributions come later in the form of donated $$$. Talking to these guys before they leave for Christmas break is most important reason for getting new coach hired sooner rather than later.

A brother of one of the UND players was talking to some folks today and said that he was helping Golladay pack up and that he was headed to NIU, will use his redshirt. I'd like to think he was just talking but my gut feeling is he's telling the truth. There's a lot of potential for the guys who redshirted this year and they have real talent, hopefully some of them will step up and be leaders and big producers for us. What a rude awakening for the 2013 recruits that came in to this fiasco and what an overall embarrassment for the UND program in general.

A brother of one of the UND players was talking to some folks today and said that he was helping Golladay pack up and that he was headed to NIU, will use his redshirt. I'd like to think he was just talking but my gut feeling is he's telling the truth. There's a lot of potential for the guys who redshirted this year and they have real talent, hopefully some of them will step up and be leaders and big producers for us. What a rude awakening for the 2013 recruits that came in to this fiasco and what an overall embarrassment for the UND program in general.

Why is it embarrassing for the program when players are leaving after a 3-8 year and the entire staff got fired? Pretty normal occurrence IMO. Nothing anybody can do. If they lose 10-15 players then we may have an issue.

So my question is, if Muss and the staff wasn't let go would we see these departures? I'm not sure the answer to this but I think that they are worth it. Golladay was going to be a stud here and will be a stud at NIU. The thing is though he was only going to be here two more years. If Muss wasn't let go, the program would be set back another year and Golladay would just be a stud receiver and a crappy team just like Hardin. It's not the end of the world that we are losing these players.

Tyrhe Ivery, RJ McGill, Aeron Carr, Anthony Fletcher, Casey Young, Jake Disterhaupt, Roman Bridges. There are a lot more quality athletes at wr. If Kenny leaves we'll be fine, just not as good.

WR doesn't matter if the other pieces to the passing puzzle doesn't help like QB's accuracy on over throws and rushed passes, but the rushed passes is due to a poor OL. You need a good OL to give your QB the time to be accurate and that gives the WR time to run his route to minimize INT's. Just because a WR leaves doesn't put the whole offense in disarray, the QB is the most important position in the offense. Also without a running game doesn't help the passing game either.

• Upvote 1

Why is it embarrassing for the program when players are leaving after a 3-8 year and the entire staff got fired? Pretty normal occurrence IMO. Nothing anybody can do. If they lose 10-15 players then we may have an issue.

It's just another embarrassing page in an embarrassing chapter of the program. How long is this chapter? We still don't know.

Tyrhe Ivery, RJ McGill, Aeron Carr, Anthony Fletcher, Casey Young, Jake Disterhaupt, Roman Bridges. There are a lot more quality athletes at wr. If Kenny leaves we'll be fine, just not as good.

Golladay had by far the most pure talent on the team; a team that went 3-8! Losing Golladay will hurt significantly. Thankfully this team can't get much worse. Only direction to go is up!