SiouxSports.com Forum

Player Defections

bincitysioux

The fact that some of the players are leaving before the new coach is even hired is quite alarming. Those players are fine to leave in my opinion, because apparently they aren't bought into the program very well.

Maybe they bought into Muss?

If they had they would have played harder and worked harder. They liked muss but didn't respect him as an authority figure.

Then why all the defections? The fact that so many are leaving even before a new coach is hired tells me these guys feel the program won't improve in the short run, or they have problems with the athletic department as a whole and not just a particular coach.

At any rate, it's not a good sign that so many are leaving when change in imminent.

Then why all the defections? The fact that so many are leaving even before a new coach is hired tells me these guys feel the program won't improve in the short run, or they have problems with the athletic department as a whole and not just a particular coach.

At any rate, it's not a good sign that so many are leaving when change in imminent.

But why not wait to see who is hired?! The fact they aren't is incredibly short-sighted, and quite frankly, idiotic.

But why not wait to see who is hired?! The fact they aren't is incredibly short-sighted, and quite frankly, idiotic.

they're kids. they don't think things through. they think they know better than anyone else. don't you remember being 19?

they're kids. they don't think things through. they think they know better than anyone else. don't you remember being 19?

Very true; I suppose there are much worse decisions they could be making. Nevertheless, in my opinion, I feel if they were committed and hopeful of the situation they would've at least stayed through spring ball.

WYO has also had significant player defections when Joe Glenn was fired a few years back. I don't think this is uncommon at all.

Players leave teams every year for a variety of reasons. Will it be more noticeable this year? Probably, but I don't think by that much. It does look like it may end up including a few bigger names this year though.

I am sure some players will leave and some potential recruits will stay away as they view UND as a rebuilding team (like USD was after Meirkort was fired), but when UND starts winning big games (UM, MSU, EWU, CP, or an FBS team) players and potential recruits will recognize this team has promise and will stay or come here. It worked for Roger Thomas.

IMHO this is very very common during a transition. During the recruiting process the coach is selling not only the university and team, but also himself to the recruits. I am sure there are a certain number of recruits that came here just because of Mussman being the coach that recruited them, so it is very normal to me to think that these players want to think about transferring now that the reason they came here isn't here anymore. Happens everywhere....

The fact that some of the players are leaving before the new coach is even hired is quite alarming. Those players are fine to leave in my opinion, because apparently they aren't bought into the program very well.

why would kids from CA, AZ and elsewhere automatically "buy in" to our program. they didn't grow up watching Sioux sports. their parents didn't go to school here. they were recruited from all over the country to play football for a scholarship. you will get kids to "buy in" after they spend a couple of years here and have a vested interest in the school and team. with the way things went this year, I would be surprised that a lot of the young players haven't "bought in" to the cool ade we are serving up. most will stay, some will defect. . each athlete is following his own personal dream to be a college athlete. it is the reasonability of the AD staff and coaches to recruit and build reasons why these kids should want to stay if we have the attitude to show anyone who isn't "bought in" yet the door, we should be careful for what we ask for. jmho

ps local kids will buy in much quicker and be much more loyal than kids from out of the area

• Upvote 2

why would kids from CA, AZ and elsewhere automatically "buy in" to our program. they didn't grow up watching Sioux sports. their parents didn't go to school here. they were recruited from all over the country to play football for a scholarship. you will get kids to "buy in" after they spend a couple of years here and have a vested interest in the school and team. with the way things went this year, I would be surprised that a lot of the young players haven't "bought in" to the cool ade we are serving up. most will stay, some will defect. . each athlete is following his own personal dream to be a college athlete. it is the reasonability of the AD staff and coaches to recruit and build reasons why these kids should want to stay if we have the attitude to show anyone who isn't "bought in" yet the door, we should be careful for what we ask for. jmho

ps local kids will buy in much quicker and be much more loyal than kids from out of the area

It's not even the end of the academic year. If the student-athletes are focused on their education, they should at least wait until May. Also, they would then have an opportunity to participate in spring ball with the new coaching staff. It's the most logical approach in my opinion; however, I can understand how some kids don't think things through all the way and don't come to such a conclusion. With that said, even if the kids are from Arizona or California, why should they decide on transferring before the academic year is over. They easily could get more opportunities with the new coaching staff (e.g. PJ Sparks).

Let's agree to stay classy if student athletes determine that their best route is somewhere other than UND.

Agreed - any kids that choose that UND isn't the right fit for them for whatever reason I will wish all of them well.

I have to be honest I really just don't see Carr staying here, as much as I want him to I just don't see it. Kind of reminds me of Riddle being homesick. I don't know anything other than what I have read on here and twitter but I am just not confident.

As you know, this is why we need a coach ASAP - to give kids "warm & fuzzies" about the future of the program.

• Upvote 2