SiouxSports.com Forum

Player Defections

bincitysioux

If there is one thing I learned as a football fan over 29 years it is this, you are only as good as your offensive and defensive lines. It certainly hurts losing a player like Kenny just because he is so dynamic, but we will never be a competitive team until we fix the lines. I was almost in awe last night of the holes NDSU's line was making, hell I could have rushed for 100 yards behind those guys. We fix those and we fix the team. I have faith the new staff will find the right Student-Athletes to turn this team around. These around 18-22 year old kids, and I will never chastise someone for trying to better their situation.

• Upvote 2

Losing great players hurts, but this ship is going to take more than one or two years to right. I'll miss Golloday, I'll miss Jackson, but they were part of a 3-8 football team that got embarrassed at home more than I've ever seen any UND team get embarrassed at home.

This team will get better with discipline, character, and like the post above mentioned, better line play on both sides of the football. If its already a business to Golloday, and Jackson is a big teddy bear who quits on his team maybe its better suited that they get out of the program while UND is rebuilding.

• Upvote 2

Losing great players hurts, but this ship is going to take more than one or two years to right. I'll miss Golloday, I'll miss Jackson, but they were part of a 3-8 football team that got embarrassed at home more than I've ever seen any UND team get embarrassed at home.

This team will get better with discipline, character, and like the post above mentioned, better line play on both sides of the football. If its already a business to Golloday, and Jackson is a big teddy bear who quits on his team maybe its better suited that they get out of the program while UND is rebuilding.

This is going to be a huge factor next season!!

I'm with Ira. Amusing to see the criticism of players that transfer, but when fans are refusing to go to the games? Understandable cuz the product stinks, right?

I went to the Potato Bowl (have done so every year for many years) but after watching UM, and MSU blow this team out I wasn't going to spend the money (not to mention take time off of work), drive up from Fargo to see UND get blown out. I did that as a kid growing up blocks from Memorial Stadium getting a GA ticket basically sitting at the 50 yd line in a 3/4 empty stadium and watched RT's new team get beat by Augustana, or UNC. But back then all I had to pay was a price of a ticket (which wasn't much)...times are different now.

I'm with Ira. Amusing to see the criticism of players that transfer, but when fans are refusing to go to the games? Understandable cuz the product stinks, right?

I remember your fans booing Nick Mertens a few years back in the dome. No different really.

Why do they have to be quitter, these are kids and if they are not happy then let them be. If I was a recruit these posting would not sway me into coming to UND. Bringing race and other things into these discussions is unacceptable. Coaches leaves all the time is anyone commenting on the coaches who last left over the past two years?

Losing great players hurts, but this ship is going to take more than one or two years to right. I'll miss Golloday, I'll miss Jackson, but they were part of a 3-8 football team that got embarrassed at home more than I've ever seen any UND team get embarrassed at home. This team will get better with discipline, character, and like the post above mentioned, better line play on both sides of the football. If its already a business to Golloday, and Jackson is a big teddy bear who quits on his team maybe its better suited that they get out of the program while UND is rebuilding.

Jackson played bruised and beaten up last season and this one and he never complained. Maybe they did not feel they could win at UND, maybe they just wanted to go to a program that had an opportunity to win, it doesn t matter if its D1, D2, D3 maybe these kids just want to win. Did you every think about that?

I'm totally embarrassed and ashamed of my university for these blatenly racist comments. Work ethics should never be based on the color of ones skin. I ask, how can anyone possibly even condone such intolerant statements?

When did the university make these comments? Didn't realize that UND was quoted.

It is pretty obvious that the majority of the player defections have been black kids. I don't know why that is a "racist" comment. It is simply a fact! Now, I do believe the kids who have left feared that a new staff may have not allowed them to get away with certain behaviors or display poor attitudes. I know for a fact that Jackson has "quit on the team" during fall camp only to come back with minimal consequences. Mussman never took drug testing and discipline seriously. And no, I am not insinuating that all of the kids who are leaving would have failed drug tests. The bottom line is that these players committed to UND because of a coach, or coaches. That should never be the main reason a kid chooses a school. Granted, it can't help but be a factor because of the recruiting process, but kids should commit to the school. I don't know the real reason any of these boys transferred, but it doesn't matter. They are gone. My guess is kids like Casey Young, Ramon Bridges, Carr and others will step up and compete. The defensive backs were horrible so new blood will be welcome. There may have to be some JUCO help for the short term while the staff builds the roster back up. The defections should free up some money!

• Upvote 1

It is pretty obvious that the majority of the player defections have been black kids. I don't know why that is a "racist" comment. It is simply a fact! Now, I do believe the kids who have left feared that a new staff may have not allowed them to get away with certain behaviors or display poor attitudes. I know for a fact that Jackson has "quit on the team" during fall camp only to come back with minimal consequences. Mussman never took drug testing and discipline seriously. And no, I am not insinuating that all of the kids who are leaving would have failed drug tests. The bottom line is that these players committed to UND because of a coach, or coaches. That should never be the main reason a kid chooses a school. Granted, it can't help but be a factor because of the recruiting process, but kids should commit to the school. I don't know the real reason any of these boys transferred, but it doesn't matter. They are gone. My guess is kids like Casey Young, Ramon Bridges, Carr and others will step up and compete. The defensive backs were horrible so new blood will be welcome. There may have to be some JUCO help for the short term while the staff builds the roster back up. The defections should free up some money!

Wow..... ???

I am in the school that if your coach leaves then the kid should be able to weigh his options at that time as well for many reasons. Hopefully a kid falls back on the friendships and bonds he has made with his teammates when thinking through a decision like this and the school and coaching staff have instilled a culture in the program that would discourage a kid from leaving in this situation.....we have obvisously failed here.

I don't have any inside knowledge but it sure sounds like in addition to this hiring process being drawn out the communication between the UND Athletic Department and the football team has been lacking at best. I have not heard how many or if any of the football players have been involved in this process at all? If not.....why? I know when NDSU "fired" Babich that the remaining Senior Class and possibly other team leaders had meeting with Gene Taylor as they went through the process and then comminicated with their teammates to keep everyone in the loop.

As far as recruiting. Yes it puts us in a bad spot for this year but it can be overcome. NDSU absolutely whiffed on their recruiting class that graduated last year but more than made up for it with the outgoing class of seniors this year.

Let's not jump to some conclusion that the people who are ripping on departing players are the fans who refuse to go to the games and contribute financially...You don't have the data to state that in confidence, so don't go there. Also, you don't think it was an honest criticism of the UND football team last year that they didn't have a viable product on the field? So, 2000 more people show up and that would have made the difference at the 40 pt. losses...don't think so.

Remember, these kids are getting something for their play time, its called a scholarship and an education, and we have every right to expect something as fans and alumni of the school as well. If the kids want to leave, then more power to them...its a two way street called opportunity.

I could go back and match up the comments with the names (they are there) but I have neither the time nor inclination to do so. Also, you aren't the arbiter of such things anyway.

Yes. I have no problem with a fan refusing to go to a game, nor refuse to continue funding.

I made no connection between attendance and win/loss record. This is a straw man argument.

I totally agree.

Your first line isn't even correct. Just as many white kids have left as black kids.

• Upvote 2