SiouxSports.com Forum

Preference for new coach

SiouxVolley

Within reason, who do you choose?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choice for new coach (monetary restraints - no Saban)

• Lennon - bring him back
    • Schweighert - DC SIU
    • DeBoer - OC SIU
    • Hazelton - DC Nevada
    • Leipod - HC Wisconsin-Whitewater
    • Tibesar - LB coach, Chicago Bears
    • Bollinger - QB coach, Pitt
    • Caruso - HC, St Thomas
    • Nielson - HC, WIU
    • Other

Though Glenn Caruso has an impressive resume he is still an "offensive-minded" coach and IMHO UND needs a head coach with defensive ties to battle the fast paced offenses of the Big Sky. Also, it might be time to leave the "Good Ol' Boy" network and hire someone who has no connections to UND or North Dakota in general. GO SIOUX!

Though Glenn Caruso has an impressive resume he is still an "offensive-minded" coach and IMHO UND needs a head coach with defensive ties to battle the fast paced offenses of the Big Sky. Also, it might be time to leave the "Good Ol' Boy" network and hire someone who has no connections to UND or North Dakota in general. GO SIOUX!

Agree.. Need someone with D1 experience.

Caruso - No D1 experience = NO

Bollinger - No head coaching experience = NO... Never been a coordinator and has only 2 years coaching QB's. Knows nothing about defense. (Would be the same as naming Schleuesner head coach)

Tibesar - D1 experience as a coordinator + LB coach for Bears = MAYBE

Hazelton - D1 coordinator + former bison coach = MAYBE (Not sure how I feel about a Bison coach at UND)

Bubba - NO

Lennon - NO

Deboer - NO

I need to see more names to choose from. Nothing on this list excites me. We need a D1 coach.

Bollinger - No head coaching experience = NO... Never been a coordinator and has only 2 years coaching QB's. Knows nothing about defense. (Would be the same as naming Schleuesner head coach)

Hazelton - D1 coordinator + former bison coach = MAYBE (Not sure how I feel about a Bison coach at UND)

Bubba - NO

Lennon - NO

Deboer - NO

I need to see more names to choose from. Nothing on this list excites me. We need a D1 coach.

So Tracy Claeys, Barney Cotton, Dave Aranda or someone like them is more to your liking? This may be how Faison in thinking, as well.

Bubba - NO

Lennon - NO

Deboer - NO

Not sure why a head coach has to be a coordinator? It's a completely different skill set. Does Craig Bohl call plays? He doesn't even coach a position anymore. A head coach is basically the face of the program and an administrator. This isn't high school.

For that reason, Bollinger makes sense. First off he is a UND GUY so he will be here for the long run. We need stability. Fans love him and will remind them of better times.

Tibesar is probably the best on paper but he's not going to leave the Bears.

Hazelton? The guy has as much personality and fire as my basset hound. Is he really a midwest guy? He left for USC. And NDSU's defense improved after he left

Caruso? D3 head coach who missed the playoffs?

For that reason, Bollinger makes sense. First off he is a UND GUY so he will be here for the long run. We need stability. Fans love him and will remind them of better times.

He is a UND guy??? How many downs did he play for the Sioux?

Not against the idea, but he is a UWisco guy, isn't he?

My wish list is for somebody who:

-is a proven leader;

-can assemble a quality staff;

-can not only recruit, but has the ability to recruit in the traditional recruiting areas.

This last factor can be big, and I suspect may be a large part of what has tripped up Lennon and company at SIU. There's no question he can recruit. But recruiting and having contacts in this area is not necessarily the same as in Illinois, Missouri, etc.

The Lennon situation is a good example of how a guy can appear to have everything you'd want in a head coach, but not be able to replicate his past success at a different school. Some may claim it's due to going from dII to FCS, but I think the success of Stiegelmeier, who rarely ever beat Lennon in the NCC, somewhat dispels that notion.

• Upvote 2

He is a UND guy??? How many downs did he play for the Sioux?

Not against the idea, but he is a UWisco guy, isn't he?

No, he's not LITERALLY a UND guy in terms of playing here.

FIGURATIVELY, he's more of a UND guy than many of our football letterwinners and current players.

EDIT: The people who want a 'fresh start' and someone who's not a 'good ol boy' from UND get their wish. The people who want a 'UND Guy' get theirs.

What's Big Sky Country? What does that mean? How does that help?

If you are referring to recruiting, which is where it all starts, don't we all agree that we need to do better in the upper midwest for recruiting? ND, MN, WI?

We do NOT need kids from California, Washington and Oregon. Not sure how being familiar with Big Sky country really helps.

I respectfully disagree and believe we need a coach who understands how to recruit the upper midwest successfully.

Agreed

If you are referring to recruiting, which is where it all starts, don't we all agree that we need to do better in the upper midwest for recruiting? ND, MN, WI?

We do NOT need kids from California, Washington and Oregon. Not sure how being familiar with Big Sky country really helps.

I respectfully disagree and believe we need a coach who understands how to recruit the upper midwest successfully.

Screw the coastal players. We need meat and potato no neck mid west pound the piss out of you type guys. They're all over the place in ND MN WI and SD. I'd also rather get the high end talent from these areas with IL as a bonus pipeline.

• Upvote 4

Any one from Alabama

Then how about this guy:

http://www.iupathlet...7&path=football

-Over 25 years as a D-I assistant and was the recruiting coordinator at NC State when they had two top 10 recruiting classes in the early 00's.

-WR coach and recruiting coordinator at Alabama for four years under Nick Saban.

-Currently head coach at D2 IUP (28-7 record over three seasons)

-Father was one of the most successful coaches in D2 history at IUP, brother has also been very successful and is a position coach for the STL Rams (reminds me of the Harbaugh family)

-Mirrors his program after Saban (build from lines out, I believe he has certain minimum "measurables" for every position on the field)

-Named one of the top 25 recruiters in the country by Rivals.com

-Has recruiting contacts all over the country/ would have the ability to bring in FBS transfers

The only negative is that he doesn't have any experience in this area of the country, but I bet he'd be smart enough to hire some assistants that do.

What's not to like?

• Upvote 3

Any successful DI recruiting coordinator will understand you need to recruit the regional states. With that being said they can also expand into other areas where talent lies, such as western states where the Big Sky Conference is localized.

Then how about this guy:

-Over 25 years as a D-I assistant and was the recruiting coordinator at NC State when they had two top 10 recruiting classes in the early 00's.

-WR coach and recruiting coordinator at Alabama for four years under Nick Saban.

-Father was one of the most successful coaches in D2 history at IUP, brother has also been very successful and is a position coach for the STL Rams (reminds me of the Harbaugh family)

-Mirrors his program after Saban (build from lines out, I believe he has certain minimum "measurables" for every position on the field)

-Has recruiting contacts all over the country/ would have the ability to bring in FBS transfers

The only negative is that he doesn't have any experience in this area of the country, but I bet he'd be smart enough to hire some assistants that do.

What's not to like?

Curt Cignetti looks like he'd be a very good candidate.

Any successful DI recruiting coordinator will understand you need to recruit the regional states. With that being said they can also expand into other areas where talent lies, such as western states where the Big Sky Conference is localized.

There's a legit sample size of how we've already "expanded" in to the western states enough I think isnt there? A kid here or there is fine, but...

"Go big"? So you would prefer to have a failed D-1 coach or a OC/DC that would use us as a stepping stone for his next job? I would rather have someone that is interested in building the program from the ground up for long term success, rather than a guy who gets us over .500 and moves on to something bigger and better. I know there are the snobs out there that turn their nose up at anyone who isn't a "big name", but I want a winner. How many of you had honestly ever heard of Jerry Kill before he became the HC at Minnesota? Give me a guy like Glenn Caruso that is firmly intrenched in the midwest, has morals, values and holds coaches and players accountable. You can have the "big name" coach, I will take the guy that recruits his butt off, has players that will break down walls for him and understands how to pull every ounce out of the people around him.

ok, my rant is over now.

++1

Very interesting. Minimum salary will be $150,000, which is already more than Mussman made. Plus it emphasizes NFL experience. Really looks like Tibesar and/or Bollinger are in play here.

Good to see they're trumping the women's hockey coach salary.
  • Upvote 1

Then how about this guy:

What's not to like?

Living in Fort Collins, I've been watching and talking to the athletes at CSU that Coach Mac (Former Offensive Coordinator) at Alabama has worked with and brought in. Impressive. Of course, at 1.3 million a year, UND couldn't afford him..but someone from Saban's program...intriguing.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_24551507/csu-rams-become-road-warriors-this-season-under

It's not really the quality of players that are starting to come in, it's the attitude. This running back, Bibbs in the last two weeks has broken both yardage and touchdown records for CSU. The media is told hands off. The media expected Coach Mac to fawn over him...he didn't. He said he's a running back, he did what he was supposed to do. 300 yards? Why not 400? Next question. Let's talk about the other facets of the game. Let's move on. Like with Saban, there is an expectation that the plays should be run to perfection. The scoreboard is secondary.

Every practice is extremely well organized and has a purpose. Some practice time is spent in the classroom...teaching the student athletes how to act like they belong. How to shake hands. How to greet people and fans. Say please and thank you. How to study. How to conduct themselves on road trips. At home. How to be a better person. High, high expectations of behavior. There won't be a rogue program of criminal behavior like at the college of home economics at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science. Even a 300+ yd RB would get the boot in those circumstances.

You bring that kind of guy into UND, and he will have huge success recruiting in the Midwestern base. Sorry, but I believe that people from the upper midwest are better people than I have met from other parts of the country. I won't back down from that statement.

Oh, btw...I like CSU, but I'm a Wyoming guy. I really wish they'd bring somebody like Coach Mac to Laramie.

• Upvote 2