SiouxSports.com Forum

Preference for new coach

SiouxVolley

Within reason, who do you choose?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choice for new coach (monetary restraints - no Saban)

• Lennon - bring him back
    • Schweighert - DC SIU
    • DeBoer - OC SIU
    • Hazelton - DC Nevada
    • Leipod - HC Wisconsin-Whitewater
    • Tibesar - LB coach, Chicago Bears
    • Bollinger - QB coach, Pitt
    • Caruso - HC, St Thomas
    • Nielson - HC, WIU
    • Other

So if you look up Tony Samuel (ex-New Mexico State and current SE Missouri coach, ex-Nebraska player) and poke around the Nebraska coaching tree and go one or two degrees of separation...you can come up with a list of highly qualified candidates in a hurry.

the reason i said that i think that the person he hires is not on the above list is because of the hardee hiring...i'm not sure that the new vb coach was a big topic a couple of years ago but faison obviously had his eye on him back from his days with nmsu....i wondering if he's kept an eye on someone and now its time to hire him...like hardee

Mike Van Diest could be an option as the head coach. He's the head coach at Carroll College (NAIA) and has experience at D1 schools (Wyoming, Montana, Massachusetts, and Northwestern). Van Diest has a 164-26 record during the past fourteen seasons, 6 national titles (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 and, 2010). In 2011 the Saints reached the National Championship game for the 8th time in the past 10 years. I'm sure if Van Diest had a team of D1 players he could compete with the two Montana schools.

Mike Van Diest could be an option as the head coach. He's the head coach at Carroll College (NAIA) and has experience at D1 schools (Wyoming, Montana, Massachusetts, and Northwestern). Van Diest has a 164-26 record during the past fourteen seasons, 6 national titles (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 and, 2010). In 2011 the Saints reached the National Championship game for the 8th time in the past 10 years. I'm sure if Van Diest had a team of D1 players he could compete with the two Montana schools.

He's a heck of a coach, but isn't he around 60? It seems unlikely he'd be looking to move on at this point in his career.

Given Faison's hiring history, the next coach will likely have a connection to New Mexico State. What connection does Faison have to Nebraska that NU coaches/coaching trees keep coming up? Is it because of Bohl and an underlying urge to follow that blueprint? Just curious.

Given Faison's hiring history, the next coach will likely have a connection to New Mexico State. What connection does Faison have to Nebraska that NU coaches/coaching trees keep coming up? Is it because of Bohl and an underlying urge to follow that blueprint? Just curious.

In Volleyball and basketball, a NMSU connection makes sense. If football, it doesn't. Faison has been in the Midwest long enough to know the lay of the land.

See Post #73

Likely has to do with speculation that Pelini might not last past this season. That's a major D1 program that would likely put a lot of guys with D1 experience out of work. I think it's just a coincidence that it's the same school that NDSU raided when Solich was on his way out.

The Barney Cotton connection is interesting as I did not realize he and Faison were at NMSU at the same time. He has NCC ties from his time at St Cloud and has a lot of experience as an FBS level offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. If Pelini gets the ax then I think Cotton may have rocketed up to the top of my list.

Just listened to Dom Izzo's interview of Brian Faison. Faison said all the right things and echoed the concerns that have been mentioned on this forum. I am proud and happy to say I am 100 percent confident that Faison will bring in a great coach. I feel we're gonna get someone with significant FBS experience that we haven't mentioned.

• Upvote 3

Why no love for Eric Schmidt? Has a degree from UND, so he should read at a 5th grade level, and think what it would do for Hal's liquor stores! Could be a real source of sponsorship revenue.

You created an account just to say that? Yeah, you'll be around a while with insight like that.

Dear Mister or Miss "Really?"

dagies is a moderator.

I am a moderator.

You first few posts are, shall we politely say, inauspicious.

You are welcome here, but please conduct yourself in a polite manner in accordance with the site rules.

Thank you for your attention,

Signed,

The Management

Dear Mister or Miss "Really?"

dagies is a moderator.

I am a moderator.

You first few posts are, shall we politely say, inauspicious.

You are welcome here, but please conduct yourself in a polite manner in accordance with the site rules.

Thank you for your attention,

Signed,

The Management

Duly noted...