SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

probably out of our price range. Current salary appears to be 250k/year

to get a top quality HC, Faison will have to open up the checkbook - probably with a combination of base, performance, attendance, scholastic, etc incentives. All these FBS coordinators will command a higher pay than Coach Mussman and his staff did. UND will have to step up to get top talent.

to get a top quality HC, Faison will have to open up the checkbook - probably with a combination of base, performance, attendance, scholastic, etc incentives. All these FBS coordinators will command a higher pay than Coach Mussman and his staff did. UND will have to step up to get top talent.

Faison has shown he is willing to do that, so I'm not concerned about that part of it. I would expect the contract to have multiple bonus aspects related to attendance and performance, seems to be more and more common and rightfully so.

I don't think anyone (including Faison) disagrees with any of your comments.

The only reason I mention the ties to UND is because you may be able to get away with not having to pay as much. Also, a guy like Brooks Bollinger may not take any other FCS head coaching job other than UND because he's from the area, understands the culture, and knows what the program could be. Let's face it, North Dakota (the state, not the school) can be a hard sell for somebody to move to who's not familiar with the area.

There are many things that are attractive about the UND head coaching position. The brand new HPC will be Faisons biggest selling point when attracting a high profile candidate. As much as people want to rip on the Alerus Center, It is one of the nicest facilities in FCS for a team to play in. Look around the country at other schools and its hard to disagree. The opportunity to take over a program that is reeling and turn it around might motivate many candidates to accept a job here. A new coach would be able to take complete control of the program and run the team in the direction they see fit. And finally, as much as people want to rip on North Dakota and Grand Forks, it is a great place to live. Low crime, friendly people, great schools. All things a candidate would look at when deciding to move their family here. Add all these things up, and Faison can make a pretty good sell to potential candidates.

• Upvote 2

Based on what I've read here the criteria needs to include:

Never runs his fingers through his hair

Takes personal blame for every loss

Shows lots of emotion on the sidelines

Is able to walk through tailgaters row and strike up a conversation

Has 100 percent control over every player's actions on the sidelines at all times

Never wears ear buds when walking through tailgaters row

Recruits North Dakota

Stops recruiting CA, AZ, TX.

• Upvote 1

Has 100 percent control over every player's actions on the sidelines at all times

Recruits North Dakota

http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief

You're getting closer to acceptance...just let it out...

• Upvote 3

Recruits North Dakota

You're close:

http://und.edu/finance-operations/human-resources-payroll/careers/job-openings-external.cfm?category=2150+Athletics%2FCoaches

Recruits North Dakota

Don't forget the ability to field a team who is competitive and limits mistakes/penalties/personal fouls.

Recruits North Dakota

Don't forget these criteria:

Doesn't lose to a NAIA team.

Doesn't use the phrase "we went toe to toe" after losing by 30-40 points.

And most importantly...can actually be and function in the role of a HC.

I don't dispute Muss can coach FB, but there is a huge difference between a position's coach or coordinator vs being a HC.

Recruits North Dakota

Bitter?

Look, I'm sure Coach Mussman is a nice guy, but things just weren't working out. He said he was angry with himself that he couldn't get things turned around, so I think he understands and accepts his dismissal better than you right now. Time to get over it and move on. IMO, this separation will probably be best for all involved, as it sounds like Coach Mussman's struggles at work were having a negative effect on his health and personal life too. He was a good OC and I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere.

Never runs his fingers through his hair Confident

Takes personal blame for every loss Responsible and a leader

Shows lots of emotion on the sidelines Again, leadership

Is able to walk through tailgaters row and strike up a conversation Personable, keeps ego in check

Has 100 percent control over every player's actions on the sidelines at all times Respected

Never wears ear buds when walking through tailgaters row Not that big of a deal, but again, personable, able to relate to players, fans, alumni, etc.

Recruits North Dakota Able to assess what type of players will fit his system and give everything they have. Also, able to get the community to invest in the program.

Stops recruiting CA, AZ, TX. " "

FYP

FYP

So just to be clear:

You equate confidence with a personal habit

You think a person need to verbally say to the media that they take the blame after every loss to be a leader

Showing emotion on the sidelines is the only way you can tell if a coach is a good leader

A coach not talking to you mean he isn't personable and has an ego problem.

Sideline discipline issues by freshmen meanshe has no respect from the players

Wearing ear buds means a person can't relate to players, fans and alumni

Not recruiting North Dakota to other's expectations means they can't access player talent

Recruiting CA, AZ and TX is just plain wrong.

Sorry but what I posted is what has been shared on this site. no need to FYP - no bitterness here - talk about bitterness there is an entire thread fueled by it, I'm ready to move on and I didn't need to make fun of the players or coaches to get there. I was just revisiting what has been posted. I'll be there at every game just like I have been throughout the transition.

Mrs. Mussman (oh and please share how this being posted during the discussions wasn't based on bitterness and mean-spiritedness).

Sorry but what I posted is what has been shared on this site. no need to FYP - no bitterness here - talk about bitterness this entire thread is fueled by it, I'm ready to move on and I didn't need to make fun of the players or coaches to get there. I was just revisiting what has been posted - do I need to go back and list the quotes as they were posted. I'll be there at every game just like I have been throughout the transition.

Mrs. Mussman (oh and please share how this being posted during the discussions wasn't based on bitterness and mean-spiritedness).

The "Mrs. Mussman?" was meant as a joke at the time, but I can see how it came across as mean-spirited and for that I apologize. This thread is fueled by a desire to see UND performing well on the field. Now that a change is in the works, this thread has even more relevance for fans, as we get together and speculate on who the AD may be looking at. No, these conversations won't affect the AD's decision, but neither does anything else discussed on SiouxSports. It's simply a place for fans to communicate, cheer, and vent. I don't recall anyone making fun of the players, but I do recall some inappropriate remarks being made about Coach Mussman and that is regrettable (although most of the remarks were regarding his style on the sidelines and as the face of the football program, rather than his personal life). I don't believe most of the fans here are "bitter" towards Coach Mussman, we were simply disappointed with how the team was performing under his leadership. Faison relieved Coach Mussman of his duties for the same reasons most fans were calling for him to be fired, and it wasn't out of bitterness. I'm not sure why you're taking the firing so personally, but this was simply a business decision and a move to make the team better in the future.

So just to be clear:

You equate confidence with a personal habit

You think a person need to verbally say to the media that they take the blame after every loss to be a leader

Showing emotion on the sidelines is the only way you can tell if a coach is a good leader

A coach not talking to you mean he isn't personable and has an ego problem.

Sideline discipline issues by freshmen meanshe has no respect from the players

Wearing ear buds means a person can't relate to players, fans and alumni

Not recruiting North Dakota to other's expectations means they can't access player talent

Recruiting CA, AZ and TX is just plain wrong.

No