SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

When the Tigers were coming to town for the first round of the NCHC playoffs last month, I dropped a hint in my game preview that this could happen. Maybe I was too subtle...

"The past two seasons have been the most trying of Scott Owens’ coaching career. After 13 winning campaigns behind the bench (299-185-43, .608), Owens’ teams have gone just 24-41-11 (.388) over the past two years. If Colorado College decides to retain their veteran coach, the cupboard is full. The Tigers have only four senior skaters on the roster, and those four have combined for just 17 of Colorado College’s 66 goals (25.8%) and 43 of CC’s 177 points (24.3%) this season. Only forward Alexander Krushelnyski (10-13-23) will be considered an offensive loss."

Dave

I've always had a ton of respect for Owens, and will forever appreciate the regional spanking they gave BC. That being said, I'm a little surprised he didn't even attend the team's banquet dinner. Is there bad blood between him and the players after this season? I am not in any way trying to start rumors or imagine drama to be there that isn't...I just find it odd. I mean, he just as easily could have resigned tomorrow, after the dinner.

I found an article in the COS Gazette that quoted a player saying that they all absolutely loved playing for Owens. Considering the season they just went through, that's a HUGE testament to him as a coach and person. It also noted that he skipped out on the banquet in order to keep the focus on the team, not him.

I'm going to miss Owens. Like CC or hate CC, boy were they fun to watch play when he was the coach. Wide open hockey games, up and down the ice.

Some of the best hockey games I've ever seen involved CC and UND.

Best of luck. Class act. Never put himself in the spotlight over his team, and his players were always accountable on and off the ice.

Nailed it

Did a good job at a place where it's got to be a little tough to be consistently good.

My Thoery

CC and Owens mutually agreed to end it right after the season.

Which usually means it was more CC and less the coach but everybody takes the high road.

CC already had Guentzel in mind if not locked up but everybody was not saying anything till UMtc season was over.

Owens just couldn't bring himself to dance a dog and pony show along at the awards banquet and informed the AD he was going public with the announcement.

But who knows....

I'd be a little surprised to see Guentzel go to CC just because it seems like he is set pretty well at Minnesota and seems to be the next coach of the Gophers when Lucia is done. I guess he could go to CC for a few years and then whenever the Minnesota job opened up head back and take it.

Lucia can thank Guentzel for saving his job! Now it is Mikes turn to get the opportunity to be a head coach for a div 1 hockey team. CC would be a great place for him. I am not sure if he would be as successful as a head coach as that remains it be seen, but he obviously is a top-notched assistant. I hope he leaves gooferville, and Hill returns! Haha

Why would CC hire Guentzel if it's likely he's going to bolt for Minnesota the second Lucia decides to step down? I think going for another former CC player would be a better way to go. Rud fits that bill. Obviously, Gwoz would offer a lot of "sex appeal" here in the front range but that's probably just a pipe dream.

Why would CC hire Guentzel if it's likely he's going to bolt for Minnesota the second Lucia decides to step down? I think going for another former CC player would be a better way to go. Rud fits that bill. Obviously, Gwoz would offer a lot of "sex appeal" here in the front range but that's probably just a pipe dream.

If Guentzel wants to be a head sooner-then-later then why not apply for the job at Colorado College. Now is it guaranteed that when Lucia retires/fired/leaves that Guentzel gets the Minnesota job?

Mel Pearson was said to be the heir apparent at Michigan when Red Berenson was going to leave, yet he took the Michigan Tech job. It sounds like Red will retire after next year.

I don't see Lucia retiring for some time. I could see him coaching for another 10-15 years if he doesn't get forced out before then. Guentzel has always said he wanted to be a head coach, but then ended up back at Minnesota after they faltered a bit. I'm betting if gopher fans had to pick between Lucia and Mike G a lot of them are picking the assistant over the head guy.

If I'm CC, my top candidates are as follows:

~Guentzel

~Eades

~Dane Jackson

~Gwoz

I don't see Lucia retiring for some time. I could see him coaching for another 10-15 years if he doesn't get forced out before then. Guentzel has always said he wanted to be a head coach, but then ended up back at Minnesota after they faltered a bit. I'm betting if gopher fans had to pick between Lucia and Mike G a lot of them are picking the assistant over the head guy.

If I'm CC, my top candidates are as follows:

~Guentzel

~Eades

~Dane Jackson

~Gwoz

No Potulny? From what I hear he has a huge part in pulling kids to Minny. May be a tad young I guess.

In the 33 year history of the award, only five Hobey Baker winners have led their team to the national championship:

Forward Tony Hrkac (North Dakota, 1987)

Forward Lane McDonald (Harvard, 1989)

Forward Paul Kariya (Maine, 1993)

Defenseman Jordan Leopold (Minnesota, 2002)

Defenseman Matt Gilroy (Boston University, 2009)

Seven other Hobey winners fell just short, losing in the title game:

Forward Neil Broten (Minnesota, 1981)

Defenseman Mark Fusco (Harvard, 1983)

Defenseman Tom Kurvers (Minnesota-Duluth, 1984)

Forward Scott Fusco (Harvard, 1986)

Forward Jason Krog (New Hampshire, 1999)

Defenseman Mike Mottau (Boston College, 2000)

Forward Blake Geoffrion (Wisconsin, 2010)

Dave

In the 33 year history of the award, only five Hobey Baker winners have led their team to the national championship:

Forward Tony Hrkac (North Dakota, 1987)

Forward Lane McDonald (Harvard, 1989)

Forward Paul Kariya (Maine, 1993)

Defenseman Jordan Leopold (Minnesota, 2002)

Defenseman Matt Gilroy (Boston University, 2009)

Seven other Hobey winners fell just short, falling in the title game:

Forward Neil Broten (Minnesota, 1981)

Defenseman Mark Fusco (Harvard, 1983)

Defenseman Tom Kurvers (Minnesota-Duluth, 1984)

Forward Scott Fusco (Harvard, 1986)

Forward Jason Krog (New Hampshire, 1999)

Defenseman Mike Mottau (Boston College, 2000)

Forward Blake Geoffrion (Wisconsin, 2010)

Dave

It broke my heart that Mike Mottau didn't win a Natty in 2000! :whistling:

• Upvote 3