SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

We agree 100%. I watched a high scoring great game between two rivals that inevitably would have ended with an overtime thrilling goal but yet we decide to basically stop a game in progress so we can have a cute little one on one contest to decide the winner.

I honestly question the hockey IQ of anyone who is seriously in favor of this crap.

I don't mind shootouts to end a minor tournament or regular season hockey game. It appears it's part of the game now so teams must adjust. However not doing a full period 4x4 like the nhl does is beyond me.

B1G announcers are just as bad when the Gophers play other B1G teams.

Not to be arrogant :hypocrite:, but that's because Minnesota has a much bigger fan base for their college hockey team than the rest of the B1G teams. There's a reason that BTN had a guy go on GPL to start getting feedback and suggestions so they could improve their hockey broadcasts.

Not to be arrogant :hypocrite:, but that's because Minnesota has a much bigger fan base for their college hockey team than the rest of the B1G teams. There's a reason that BTN had a guy go on GPL to start getting feedback and suggestions so they could improve their hockey broadcasts.

Does it feel pretty good to have the biggest hockey fan base in your conference again?

I don't know what if feels like not to......

We agree 100%. I watched a high scoring great game between two rivals that inevitably would have ended with an overtime thrilling goal but yet we decide to basically stop a game in progress so we can have a cute little one on one contest to decide the winner.

I honestly question the hockey IQ of anyone who is seriously in favor of this crap.

Now I'm agreeing with a Gopher; last week it was a Bison.

I think I need to visit my physician.

Not to be arrogant :hypocrite:, but that's because Minnesota has a much bigger fan base for their college hockey team than the rest of the B1G teams.

"Fan base"?

Is that what one calls all the empty seats I saw via television for the inaugural "Wooden Salad Bowl ... on a stick"?

T'was not a proud showing for either afternoon game, and the night game wasn't exactly "capped out" either.

No we don't have a facility funded by our state to hold that many fans.

UND has a large and passionate fan base, one of the best there is and there's no debating that. But the fact is that the Gopher hockey fan base dwarfs UND's. This fact should not upset UND fans nor should it be a point of pride for Gopher fans considering the populations of GF and the Twin Cities.

• Upvote 1

UND has a large and passionate fan base, one of the best there is and there's no debating that. But the fact is that the Gopher hockey fan base dwarfs UND's. This fact should not upset UND fans nor should it be a point of pride for Gopher fans considering the populations of GF and the Twin Cities.

FYP ;)

In sheer volume you may be correct however defining a "fan" may be a whole new debate. I met a Gopher fan last weekend. He used to be a Bulldog fan because he went to college there, but he moved to Minneapolis so he considered himself a Gopher fan now.

Btw, his favorite UMD Bulldog of all time was Jack Fontaine...

In sheer volume you may be correct however defining a "fan" may be a whole new debate. I met a Gopher fan last weekend. He used to be a Bulldog fan because he went to college there, but he moved to Minneapolis so he considered himself a Gopher fan now.

Btw, his favorite UMD Bulldog of all time was Jack Fontaine...

Does your definition of fan really matter? Some fans are more dedicated than others but the reality is every team has a mix of those kinds. There are also no rules that say you aren't a real fan just because you didn't attend a school that you cheer for. I know people from schools like Mankato, SCSU, and others that actually cheer for other teams for differing reasons.

Considering Minnesota's student population runs something over 50,000 every year and with a large city around their school, I don't think there is any shame in admitting they have a much larger fan base. If we had a big city and a bigger student population, we'd probably be able to match it. We simply don't.

Do you honestly believe that a regular season hockey game in Grand Forks could draw almost 50K like the Gophers did last week?

Put up 25,000 bleachers in Fargo and I guarantee you that a Sioux/St Cloud or Sioux/UMD game would draw that many fans. I would consider that equally as impressive as the Minnesota/Ohio State outdoor game.

Boy you guys sure hated watching the NSCC.... It was a lot of fun going to it and I'm excited for next year. This thing will build to something better.

I can only handle so much Gopher tire pumping on FSN. I fear for permanent eye damage due to constant eye rolling. Hello, mute button!

• Upvote 1

Boy you guys sure hated watching the NSCC.... It was a lot of fun going to it and I'm excited for next year. This thing will build to something better.

After drawing about 4,000 for the opening semi-final and 3rd place game, I would concur with you about building something better. It would be hard to go down from that.

• Upvote 1

After drawing about 4,000 for the opening semi-final and 3rd place game, I would concur with you about building something better. It would be hard to go down from that.

Have they announced total attendance for this tournament? I'd guess total tickets at maybe 38k. Less than 10k average per game total.

Do you honestly believe that a regular season hockey game in Grand Forks could draw almost 50K like the Gophers did last week?

Let's be honest here, it was an outdoor game, which is currently a hot event. It drew a lot of people who love hockey and didn't care who won, and a lot of people who just wanted to be part of the event, even though they don't give two licks about hockey.
  • Upvote 1

In the same token, do you think Minnesota would have had near the number of fans that UND did in Omaha last year. Bottom line is that since the new Ralph was built, UND has had more fans per game than Minnesota. Does that mean they have more fans? No, but it does show they are a more passionate fan base. The fact that from this small population base, UND consistently draws more than a huge metro area like Minneapolis, speaks for itself.

• Upvote 4

Have they announced total attendance for this tournament? I'd guess total tickets at maybe 38k. Less than 10k average per game total.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/x651196278/Despite-finish-Mavs-impressed-with-North-Star-Cup

There won't be an announcement of single game attendance for this reason (taken from the Xcel Energy Center web site:

Tournament packages include two tickets, one for each day of the tournament. Each day’s ticket will provide access to both games on that day. The arena will not be cleared between games each day and there will be no ‘in and out’ privileges either day. Single session tickets will allow access to both games in the session.

Your estimate of 38,000 fans in attendance is about 10,000 too many.

I sent a Gopher fan friend of mine a text as I knew he was in the stands for the championship game (he skipped the 3rd place game along with about 10,000 other folks). When asked what the atmosphere was like for the Gopher/UMD game, he said while it was a great game to watch and the crowd was into it, the crowd numbers rivaled those of the WCHA Final Five 3rd place game.

In the same token, do you think Minnesota would have had near the number of fans that UND did in Omaha last year.

In Omaha? No. But I guarantee you that UND doesn't have as many fans in Madison as Minnesota. I remember the Kessel year in 2006. Gopher fans took over the entire third deck. A badger fan told us he's never seen a fan base do that to their arena before.

Bottom line is that we're talking about two of the best, largest, and most passionate college hockey fan bases with UND and UM. It's silly to argue otherwise.