SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Valpo

GeauxSioux

This should absolutely be a no contest. I am very interested in watching a couple position groups and to see how well the D is wrapping up. A good warm-up game before the tough schedule starts.

Also, opening on a Thursday is kind of nice because that should give us a couple extra practices to prepare for SDSU.

In 2004, NDSU beat Valpo 52-0 in Fargo. (That season, SDSU beat NDSU in Brookings.)

In 2005, SDSU beat Valpo 69-6 in Brookings (and NDSU beat SDSU in Fargo).

After the SDSU game, the Valpo coach said he would never again schedule a scholarship team. I think he lasted just one or two seasons after that.

I remember when Valpo came out on the field before the 2005 game in Brookings. They looked big, stocky, well proportioned. And then the Jackrabbits came on to the field and one could observe the Valpo players side-by-side with the SDSU players: The average size difference was remarkable...it seemed like an average of two inches in height difference along with a comparable difference in muscle and weight. Valpo's guy were just proportionally smaller.

The NDSU and SDSU games vs Valpo were a long time ago and I think not much can be learned from those games.

There's some discussion around here about the benefit to UND of playing both QBs will force the Jacks to prepare for different styles. I'm thinking the Jacks may already have packages in place for athletic QBs that make plays with their legs. What teams do the Jacks play the mvfc where Stig would already have a package in place for that?

Anyone know how valpo compares to SD School of Mines?

Or to Sioux Falls?? :crazy:

This better be a blow out! I'll go 55 -10 w UND giving up a cheap TD late.

After Thursday, success in the month of September will be determined by to things: 1) stopping the run on D and 2) having our QB get the ball to our playmakers. If those 2 things don't happen...ouch!

looking at the two-deep i am wondering about pj sparks and javon butler??? how come those guys can't crack the top two? ??? i was kind of surprised that jer garman is second string? i even thought adam would move up a little more...

Don't worry too much about the two deep for the opening game. Both players you've listed need to prove their worth in games before they'll leapfrog people. Give them a couple games.

Don't worry too much about the two deep for the opening game. Both players you've listed need to prove their worth in games before they'll leapfrog people. Give them a couple games.

its give them a couple of games part that scares me....i watched meserioux sleep walk thru the season last year i kept waiting for someone younger or meaner to play that postion and muss never pulled him (until the suspension)....we need to be ready for the sdsu game!!!

There's some discussion around here about the benefit to UND of playing both QBs will force the Jacks to prepare for different styles. I'm thinking the Jacks may already have packages in place for athletic QBs that make plays with their legs. What teams do the Jacks play the mvfc where Stig would already have a package in place for that?

NDSU

Missouri St I believe

UNI pre-Kollmorgen

USD's qb is pretty athletic I think.

its give them a couple of games part that scares me....i watched meserioux sleep walk thru the season last year i kept waiting for someone younger or meaner to play that postion and muss never pulled him (until the suspension)....we need to be ready for the sdsu game!!!

To be fair there wasn't really anyone behind him that was ready. Had there been, Mersereau would have been handing out waters after a couple games. The depth is better this year and the younger guys are ready now. Had Kuksa and Reyes been here last year they would have started.

Two deep with RB's is always fluid and never really a true indicator of playing time. Jake and Jer are similar players, so third and short I doubt you see either of them in there. Look at last year, even with Miller and Sutton the 1/2, Garman still received playing time. At RB I consider it more of a 3 deep position the way UND has played it.

Nothing against Mollberg, but I really hope Bartels is great and leaves no doubt as to his ability to be a great QB at UND. I don't mind both playing if the game is out of hand but I would rather not have questions linger about who should be starting going into the SDSU game.

I'm admittedly not much of a football poster but is this what UND signed up for with the D1 'push' a few years ago? This is the big dream coming true? An expected 40-65 point thumping of a school with no scholarships?

UND will learn as much about its football players from this game as LSU would from playing Minot State.

• Upvote 1

I'm admittedly not much of a football poster but is this what UND signed up for with the D1 'push' a few years ago? This is the big dream coming true? An expected 40-65 point thumping of a school with no scholarships?

UND will learn as much about its football players from this game as LSU would from playing Minot State.

This is a lot like the hockey team thumping Manitoba. The season schedules (both hockey and football) look great.

I love both sports and am glad UND is now D1 across the board.

Guess what, every college football team has cupcakes to start the season. NDSU is playing Ferris St., we are playing Valpo. Heck even LSU is playing Kent St and UAB. Look at the rest of our schedule and you will see why we signed up to be D1.

This is a lot like the hockey team thumping Manitoba. The season schedules (both hockey and football) look great.

I love both sports and am glad UND is now D1 across the board.

Scheduling Manitoba in hockey is a recruiting tool for young players who might actually wind up playing college hockey. What is the benefit of playing a team like Valpo in football? This is an honest question, BTW.

Yeah, having 3 teams ranked in the top 10 in the country come to the Alerus and another couple ranked in the top 25 either at home or on the road the rest of the year is about what every other program in FCS college football hopes to have their schedule look like.

Scheduling Manitoba in hockey is a recruiting tool for young players who might actually wind up playing college hockey. What is the benefit of playing a team like Valpo in football? This is an honest question, BTW.

Its a win that counts towards the end of the year playoff total and that is the goal.

Please explain how beating a bad team from Canada helps hockey recruiting?

• Upvote 1

Guess what, every college football team has cupcakes to start the season. NDSU is playing Ferris St., we are playing Valpo. Heck even LSU is playing Kent St and UAB. Look at the rest of our schedule and you will see why we signed up to be D1.

And I don't particularly care for scheduling patsies at any level...nothing bores me more than seeing Wisconsin vs Michigan Institute of Mechanics pop up on the ESPN ticker on a Saturday afternoon.

FWIW, Kent State is an awful example of a cupcake...they went 11-3 last season.