SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

It is possible, but I'm not sure the minutes are there unless he is truly that talented. Anderson/Webb are going to and rightfully should eat up a lot of minutes at the two guard spots. I think Hooker can contribute and I know that there is a lot riding on this year but hopefully he can sit back and learn and then have the next 4 years to step in a be a leader.

I guess I'm looking at things from the perspective of how it would be nice to have a third guard on the roster who could play both the 1 and the 2, and Hooker is the only one who might fit that bill. Antwi can't play the point, IMO. I do think the minutes would be there for Hooker, assuming he really is the third-best guard on the roster right now, to back up both Webb and Anderson and conceivably get 15-20 minutes per game.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree that ideally it would be nice to have Hooker be a four-year starter, which would probably happen if he redshirts. But with this being a season in which UND has a real shot at making the NCAA tournament, and you don't know when that opportunity may arrive again, it would be nice to have another weapon who could conceivably help the team reach that goal.

I guess I'm looking at things from the perspective of how it would be nice to have a third guard on the roster who could play both the 1 and the 2, and Hooker is the only one who might fit that bill. Antwi can't play the point, IMO. I do think the minutes would be there for Hooker, assuming he really is the third-best guard on the roster right now, to back up both Webb and Anderson and conceivably get 15-20 minutes per game.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree that ideally it would be nice to have Hooker be a four-year starter, which would probably happen if he redshirts. But with this being a season in which UND has a real shot at making the NCAA tournament, and you don't know when that opportunity may arrive again, it would be nice to have another weapon who could conceivably help the team reach that goal.

Don't have much to argue with on that. I think that Anderson or Webb can play the point and Huff can slide over if needed as a third option if those two are out. Schuler/Antwi/Benton all provide a little bit something different off the bench, but I don't see any of them being able to play the point for any extended period of time. I'm really torn on Hooker. If he is good enough to earn 15-20 minutes a night and the staff thinks putting him in the line-up makes a big enough difference to get over the hump, then I'm all for him playing this year. But I would hate to see him get his shirt pulled, play 5 minutes a game and then not make the dance.

It will be interesting to see the different combinations the staff will be able to go with this year with big line-ups, fast line-ups, small line-ups, etc. Lot of guys should be fighting for minutes and it gets even more interesting if Stefan is cleared to play.

Regarding Hooker, from a close source to him I heard that prior to practice starting they were going back and forth on what to do and ended up deciding that redshirting him was probably the best move. I think he really wanted to play, but understands the value of redshirting. Now this is nothing that people here haven't heard, but since they were very close to lifting the redshirt before practice started, but ultimately decided against it, I believe they are going to try their hardest to keep the redshirt on. However, the way the season goes may dictate whether or not they can do it.

It seems like the decision on whether to redshirt or not is one of the toughest decisions a coach has to make.

If it's close, it seems like at the mid-major level you should always lean towards redshirting. I think I remember reading a quote by Dale Lennon back in the day... who said basically when you redshirt you are trading a guy's worst year for his best year. It seems like a lot of times, though, coaches lean towards not redshirting, and playing instead. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Is Nash going to be a serious contender to start? Are any of the other new players going to have a meaningful impact on the team? The few games that Traylor played last year he had a couple of good games and some games where he did very little and then he was gone for the season. What is the expectation for his contributions this year?

I think Nash will definitely be a serious contender to start and play a lot of minutes - to me, he is their best big man and I would expect he'll play as many minutes as he can handle. He should be the perfect four man for the fast style of play UND can play with their good guards. The athleticism of a combo of Nash-Huff would be tough.

In my mind, either Traylor or Brekke is UND's best "true" big man, but that's just me. Not sure how the coaches view him, but he had some nice numbers and flashed some nice game during his time last year. If it were me, he would be the first big man off the bench...

It seems like the decision on whether to redshirt or not is one of the toughest decisions a coach has to make.

If it's close, it seems like at the mid-major level you should always lean towards redshirting. I think I remember reading a quote by Dale Lennon back in the day... who said basically when you redshirt you are trading a guy's worst year for his best year. It seems like a lot of times, though, coaches lean towards not redshirting, and playing instead. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Personally, I think he's best served using a redshirt. However, as I've been told before, it's actually the student athlete who has to make the decision. Obviously, a good coaching staff is trying to provide a young person with all the information they need in order to make a decision. In the end the player will decide if he wants to redshirt.

Don't have much to argue with on that. I think that Anderson or Webb can play the point and Huff can slide over if needed as a third option if those two are out. Schuler/Antwi/Benton all provide a little bit something different off the bench, but I don't see any of them being able to play the point for any extended period of time. I'm really torn on Hooker. If he is good enough to earn 15-20 minutes a night and the staff thinks putting him in the line-up makes a big enough difference to get over the hump, then I'm all for him playing this year. But I would hate to see him get his shirt pulled, play 5 minutes a game and then not make the dance.

It will be interesting to see the different combinations the staff will be able to go with this year with big line-ups, fast line-ups, small line-ups, etc. Lot of guys should be fighting for minutes and it gets even more interesting if Stefan is cleared to play.

I have seen Schuler play point several times in his freshman and sophomore years and did a great job. He is not quick but very smart with the ball and when he penetrates he finds the wide open man. There's been quite a few games where at the end of the half they put the ball in his hands to penetrate and he either takes a good shot or hits the open player. Schuler would be my number one option at point instead of Antwi if Hooker red-shirts. Antwi scares me when he is out top dribbling it side to side.

If they can't give Hooker the necessary minutes to quantify lifting his shirt then don't do it. Its not worth wasting your freshman year for 8-10 minutes a night. 20 minutes a night yes, but not 8. Webb and Anderson can run the show, and Schuler and Huff can run the show if they have to.

If Stefan gets eligible for this year, then its an open and shut case for a redshirt for Hooker. Then I almost make the case of redshirting both Hooker and Antwi

I have seen Schuler play point several times in his freshman and sophomore years and did a great job. He is not quick but very smart with the ball and when he penetrates he finds the wide open man. There's been quite a few games where at the end of the half they put the ball in his hands to penetrate and he either takes a good shot or hits the open player. Schuler would be my number one option at point instead of Antwi if Hooker red-shirts. Antwi scares me when he is out top dribbling it side to side.

My only point was for extended periods of time. Both guys are capable of playing the point but I think are better off the ball unless necessary. I don't see too many situations where at least one of either Webb or Anderson aren't in the game.

Wow, no kidding.................

They even snuck in references to hockey, Southern Canada, and managed to belittle our football program in a basketball thread.

Somone there definately must have gotten a copy of Bisonville's bullet points..................

Maybe this guy better take a lesson from this Weber fan:

icon_post_target.gifby hawkssb04 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 pm

And who are we to talk? We haven't won a Big Sky tourney in how many years?

In fact Weber has won 8 BSC tournament titles....but won only 2 since 1999. Their last title was in 2007, since then Montana has won it 3 times, Portland State has won it twice, even UNC won it in 2011. This will probably piss off those fans but Montana is more of a threat than Weber State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

Weber's board is just like every fan board they've got their 20-somethings with nothing better to do - dang wouldn't you expect to read positive comments and optimism on a school's fan board - what would you expect to read - pessimism, smack on the players and coaches, negative jokes about their own team, insistent caling for firings? Well if that's what they are looking for then they should be love our football threads.

How many fricken ncaa d 1 titles they got? ????

We got 7....ive never even heard of weeeber state until the big sky....but am sure they have heard us....cuz

We are coming!!!!!!!

Through 2011 here are teams that have never won a NC in any division in any sport:

http://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/ncaanaia-national-championships-most-national-championships-by-school/

Weber St (UT)

2 names not on the list was USD, and SDSU...what did they win a NC in?

So I guess weber state fans are also making fun of big sky coaches?! Shows what they know. I'd be upset also that the big sky added UND who will be a power and probably start making he dance more than they do. Ha

...and it's only year two!