SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

only problem i have with your statement is "deserves"...no one deserves anything...play your best players regardless of year or if your a juco or a transfer....i think a lot of problems with the fb team is because of this mentality.....

Absolutely, play the best players to win. If the athletic department wants to generate revenue from football and basketball, they need to produce winning teams. That simple.

Yeah steve is king of wearing that necklace with his name badge...

It was only a matter of time before it came out and i was only one brave enough to mention..not saying it is a factor at all but worth mentioning...

Anyone no why he gets to go on all roadtrips on unds dime?

He is Associate Athletic Director for Development, which means he raises money for the Athletic Department. The position requires a lot of travel to meet donors and potential donors that are interested in giving money to the Athletic Department. The best place to meet many of these would be at UND athletic events around the country. That means either the UND Athletic Department or the UND Alumni Association is going to pay for the travel. If he meets with alumni or other potential donors on the trips he is doing his job.
  • Upvote 4

only problem i have with your statement is "deserves"...no one deserves anything...play your best players regardless of year or if your a juco or a transfer....i think a lot of problems with the fb team is because of this mentality.....

I agree you need to play your best but also on the other hand if players have similar ability then I say you play the players that have contributed many years in the program. We have an extremely talented senior class that have played the bulk of the minutes for the past 3 years and have done tremendous things for this program. I believe they have scored over 70% of our points since arriving as freshmen ( #1 scoring freshmen class in the nation 3 years ago). For me it would take someone a whole lot better than them to replace them. This years team will be by far the deepest team UND has had for many many years. This team is extremely talented at least 2 deep in every position which will create playing time issues for a lot of players and the coaches will have their hands full trying to get playing time for everyone. It will be fun to watch.

If Brekke is healthy he deserves minutes. He has been very good for us in his career when healthy and as long as he stays out of foul trouble.

I seem to remember Brekke had some pretty bad issues with asthma in high school that affected how his playing time was handled. l think there were times where he could play only 3 or 4 minutes and get a 2 or 3 minute break and then go back in, all game long. I don't if that is still the case or not anymore, just throwing that out there.

one thing i hope doesn't happen this is year is jones "rewarding" 5th year senior brekke with playing time...if calcaterra and nash are better (which they should be) they should play the majority of the minutes.

Brekke is the most proven and skilled offensive post player that the team has. If he sees a lot of minutes this year, it will be because he is healthy and he is talented, not to "reward" him for his time put in. This team suffered immensely last year due to his absence. IMO, if Brekke averages 25 minutes in 30 or so games this year, then this team will likely be dancing..................

Nash plays a different position.

If Calcaterra can unseat Brekke, then he must be a special player................

It was only a matter of time before it came out and i was only one brave enough to mention..not saying it is a factor at all but worth mentioning...

I want to be just like you one day gfhockey you are so brave

• Upvote 2

Brekke is the most proven and skilled offensive post player that the team has. If he sees a lot of minutes this year, it will be because he is healthy and he is talented, not to "reward" him for his time put in. This team suffered immensely last year due to his absence. IMO, if Brekke averages 25 minutes in 30 or so games this year, then this team will likely be dancing..................

Nash plays a different position.

If Calcaterra can unseat Brekke, then he must be a special player................

Agree 100%. Brekke has proven over and over that when he touches the ball down low its a very high percentage 2 points. He as well as several others do not touch the ball enough or shoot the ball enough. Brekke is our post player no doubt.

That's a cheap shot at the player and family. The Dad works very hard raising money for UND athletics. He was a very good BB player for UND when he played. His kid has earned his playing time and if someone doesn't see that they know nothing of BB. This smacks of the typical " other's success is cuz either they sucked up to someone, they knew someone, their family got them something or they came from the "right side of the tracks.". Doesn't pass smell test here. This kid works his tail off and he is a very good BB player for us. How much time are you spending at Judy's? (which should be on the National Registry, but that is for a different subject). That may be clouding your judgement.

• Upvote 2

That's a cheap shot at the player and family. The Dad works very hard raising money for UND athletics. He was a very good BB player for UND when he played. His kid has earned his playing time and if someone doesn't see that they know nothing of BB. This smacks of the typical " other's success is cuz either they sucked up to someone, they knew someone, their family got them something or they came from the "right side of the tracks.". Doesn't pass smell test here. This kid works his tail off and he is a very good BB player for us. How much time are you spending at Judy's? (which should be on the National Registry, but that is for a different subject). That may be clouding your judgement.

Both Steve and Brandon work hard and earn everything the get. Brandon is a beast inside when he is healthy.

He actually came from the wrong side of the river!! Haha, but yes, Brekke has earned his minutes and has proven over the course of his time at UND that he is a capable inside man.

Now, have some people gotten athletic scholarships at UND due to their family? I'd say yes. I'd prefer not to name them on here but I can think of 2 in the last decade for sure, 1 in football and 1 in WBB. However, Brekke has earned his $.

Gents, posted an article looking at the potential contributors to UND's bench. Would love to hear thoughts on where I may be off or on - http://www.bigskybba...otas-bench.html

Very nice article. From what I have heard Hooker is red-shirting but of course that can always change with injuries or other factors. I have no problem with Hooker red-shirting due to the quality back court we currently have and this way Hooker will have 4 full years of play for UND instead of being a partial sub behind all of our talented and experienced guards for his first year.

Nice job. I agree with you that Hooker may very well end up playing this year. Truth be told, I would actually prefer that Anwi redshirt rather than Hooker.

It is possible, but I'm not sure the minutes are there unless he is truly that talented. Anderson/Webb are going to and rightfully should eat up a lot of minutes at the two guard spots. I think Hooker can contribute and I know that there is a lot riding on this year but hopefully he can sit back and learn and then have the next 4 years to step in a be a leader.

Both Steve and Brandon work hard and earn everything the get. Brandon is a beast inside when he is healthy.

Don't understand how anybody could say anything negative about Steve and Brandon. Steve was a great player for UND in his day and does a tremendous job for this university. Brandon has earned the starting job because of his play and nothing else. Brandon is 30 shot attempts short of being the all-time FG% shooter this university has ever had. Looking at his stats his career shooting% is 61.9%. Nobody has every achieved this mark for their career. Don't recall Steve ever helping him make a single shot, he's done it all on his own. They are great people and deserve accolades of what they have done for this UND and nothing else.

• Upvote 3