SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

Yes, for this season the seniors will make the greatest difference, but Shay will affect recruiting and player development, so he will most likely have an impact on future season. He mentored under Bruce Pearl, who in my opinion is a good coach, and he has experience in the SEC and Big Ten (played at Iowa). He should definitely help establish good recruiting connections if he stays past this season.

To expand on this, he was with Pearl for 10 years and was in charge of recruiting and scouting at UT. The beneifts of adding him will likely be seen beyond this year, though I'd assume he'll be able to add another dimension in the scouting aspect immediately.

I am also very excited about the possibilities that this season may hold. As much hoopla that surrounds Huff, Anderson, and Webb, (rightfully so), I think the key success to this season will be Brekke and Traylor. If Brekke can stay healthy, and Traylor can stay eligible, that gives us two offensively skilled post players, something this team has not had for a long time. That'll take alot more pressure off of Huff and Anderson. Nash is a wildcard. We've all heard how athletic he is. Can't wait to see if it is true.........

I am also very excited about the possibilities that this season may hold. As much hoopla that surrounds Huff, Anderson, and Webb, (rightfully so), I think the key success to this season will be Brekke and Traylor. If Brekke can stay healthy, and Traylor can stay eligible, that gives us two offensively skilled post players, something this team has not had for a long time. That'll take alot more pressure off of Huff and Anderson. Nash is a wildcard. We've all heard how athletic he is. Can't wait to see if it is true.........

In my opinion, Nash isn't a wildcard. After the NDSU game, most will agree he is the #2 weapon behind Huff. Point is Nash will make a significant difference.

Why not until after the NDSU game?

First two games won't be real telling. First game is against Minnesota - Crookston and the second is against Wisconsin. The third game is NDSU, which is a team similar in talent and, of course, plenty of hype will surround that game so I expect many to hear of Nash's contributions to hopefully a win.

think someone in the athletic department (sid?) could put a link up on the schedule saying that the game against Butler is gonna be live on NATIONWIDE tv on FS1??? just in case the someone over at rea is too busy working on sewing up some Big Sky Conference banners for the Betty here is the link...

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/team/north-dakota-fighting-sioux/schedule/1323182?q=north-dakota-fighting-sioux

one thing i hope doesn't happen this is year is jones "rewarding" 5th year senior brekke with playing time...if calcaterra and nash are better (which they should be) they should play the majority of the minutes.

If Brekke is healthy he deserves minutes. He has been very good for us in his career when healthy and as long as he stays out of foul trouble.

If Brekke is healthy he deserves minutes. He has been very good for us in his career when healthy and as long as he stays out of foul trouble.

only problem i have with your statement is "deserves"...no one deserves anything...play your best players regardless of year or if your a juco or a transfer....i think a lot of problems with the fb team is because of this mentality.....

• Upvote 1

will steve have a factor in playing time?

hopefully no...but he's walking around almost every game with his credentials hanging around his neck....jones rewarded guys like monsebroten, mathiason, and such (deservedly so bc they were essentially playing for nothing with the transition) but i hope "rewarding" is done and the best play regardless

Yeah steve is king of wearing that necklace with his name badge...

It was only a matter of time before it came out and i was only one brave enough to mention..not saying it is a factor at all but worth mentioning...

Anyone no why he gets to go on all roadtrips on unds dime?

Brekke has shown that when he is healthy he is more than capable of earning playing time, meaning he deserves it. Jones knows what is riding on the line this season. Don't think he is going to jeopardize that be playing favorites. He's benched Huff before, I don't see him having a problem putting whoever will get it done on the floor.

• Upvote 1