SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

In other news, city council has formed a committee to look further into a new library.

Heard it was made up predominantly of downtown business owners.  Word is they think its an outstanding idea to have library downtown.

11 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Heard it was made up predominantly of downtown business owners.  Word is they think its an outstanding idea to have library downtown.

I thought I hear it was made up predominately of people staying at The Mission.

..and why the "walkability factor" played such a large role in selection.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but I noticed a Firehouse  Subs is going into the strip mall on 32nd and Columbia where the old Quiznos was located.  I've never eaten at one before but have heard they are good.

They're delicious. Almost every time I drive home at the end of the semester to Colorado I stop at the one in Sioux Falls. 

• 2 months later...

This.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4128501-arbor-park-sees-final-gf-council-vote-begin-building-negotiations

Sounds like negotiations with only one company now.

Besides the free land and paying zero taxes for a decade, the article doesn't mention but in the proposal was the city paying half the cost of connecting their condos to the nearby parking structure via skywalk.

43 minutes ago, Cratter said:

This.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4128501-arbor-park-sees-final-gf-council-vote-begin-building-negotiations

Sounds like negotiations with only one company now.

Besides the free land and paying zero taxes for a decade, the article doesn't mention but in the proposal was the city paying half the cost of connecting their condos to the nearby parking structure via skywalk.

There were three other proposals, this was the one chosen though it has not been approved. Guessing the incentives are in line with previous ones given out downtown/in the renaissance zone. And the city is currently seeing zero revenue and probably paying for upkeep. Obviously there needs to be a balance with some green space, but there is a need for office space downtown. 

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And the city is currently seeing zero revenue.

Like outdoor skating rinks? Or children's playgrounds?

Lots of people don't think the city should be giving away free land (or anything under market value at that).

Here's the future Herald Headline: "City Gives Away Land, Asks Residents For Sales Tax Increase Because They Need More Money."

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Like outdoor skating rinks? Or children's playgrounds?

Lots of people don't think the city should be giving away free land (or anything under market value at that).

Here's the future Herald Headline: "City Gives Away Land, Asks Residents For Sales Tax Increase Because They Need More Money."

If you would have read my next sentence, I addressed that exact point, there needs to be a balance. There are 5+ empty lots within a block of that location. There is a need for more office space downtown. They are offering incentives to grow the tax base and will likely see a higher value building in the long run because of it. I don't always agree with the policies but I understand the theory behind them.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

"City Keeps Prime Downtown Empty Land, Asks Residents For Sales Tax Increase Because They Need More Money." is better? ???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

"City Keeps Prime Downtown Empty Land, Asks Residents For Sales Tax Increase Because They Need More Money." is better? ???

They could actually sell the land, but then they probably wouldn't get the type of building they want there.

That empty corner lot across from sky's needs to be developed. That is absolutly a prime spot with two store fronts. That should be the first empty lot they build on. The other parks in the downtown are great little nooks that are really important to have. That corner on the other hand is too exposed and loud to leave as a park. It's also theist valuable of the empty lots. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That empty corner lot across from sky's needs to be developed. That is absolutly a prime spot with two store fronts. That should be the first empty lot they build on. The other parks in the downtown are great little nooks that are really important to have. That corner on the other hand is too exposed and loud to leave as a park. It's also theist valuable of the empty lots. 

Those lots are already privately owned.

Lonnie Laffen, CEO and President of JLG Architects, said a new four-story building at 323 DeMers Ave. should see a groundbreaking within a year, with room for two business tenants on the first floor—like a restaurant or coffeeshop—and JLG employees on three more.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/4061779-gfs-downtown-develops-arbor-park-becomes-flash-point